Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still find this a ridiculous concept, sticking tat over your minimalist interior to make some ‘common’ features more accessible? 😂
There is no regen settings on a Tesla. Plus the app allows you to use many more settings and really use your car like a pro which Elon would not allow.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,016 Posts
Minimalist is a good spin on 'budget'. It was always Tesla's intent to keep interior costs down by pretty much keeping only what was legally mandated.
Whatever the intent, and whatever anybody thinks about it, personally I don’t think sticking buttons all over it adds to it. 👍

·
Registered
812 Posts
It's marmite isn't it. One of the massive selling points for me was the minimal interior and I happily learned to live with using the screen for everything even though I did feel a manual glovebox latch would have been nice. But not enough for an obd harness for 4 sticky buttons.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For me, it was controlling the regen and the ability to coast without having the foot on the accelerator and the need for tacc and its phantom braking.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,141 Posts
I wouldn’t and haven’t stuck mine anywhere where they’re visible - but really like the functionality and wouldn’t be without them now.

Glovebox hidden behind the screen.

Normal/chill toggle and the mirror tilt toggle hidden beneath the armrest handle

High beam hidden behind left wheel spoke (tend to change this to one of the various wiper options during wet spells)

Autopilot hidden behind right wheel spoke (find this much nicer than repeatedly double tapping the stalk after lane changes on motorways)

Chargeport button currently unfixed

Font Plant Screenshot Rectangle Logo

OBD harness is by the by for me as would have almost certainly ended up with one for Scan My Tesla / Tes⸱Lax etc anyway just out of nerdiness. This single harness and adapter does that too.

Frunk opening by holding the driver’s door handle open for 3 seconds also gets used regularly.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't get too hung up on the buttons, which can be stuck anywhere or not. I personally cannot drive my car without using these buttons like reducing regen to coast and toggling between chill and sport based on the road conditions and speed limit. With a low regen, the chill mode is much more chill.

·
4,141 Posts
I need to try the regen options again at some point. Didn’t instinctively get on with them when trying initially - think it was the thought of potentially having to needlessly induce brake wear, create brake dust etc - but also I think I was a bit dubious about messing with something quite so fundamental as how the car stops.

·
4,141 Posts
There is no regen settings on a Tesla. Plus the app allows you to use many more settings and really use your car like a pro which Elon would not allow.
All the boring arguments aside, this is the crux of it for me. A) they enable some stuff that otherwise simply isn’t possible B) They pretty well fix some of the annoying stuff which Tesla’s approach, I’m pretty sure most would agree, made less than ideal in practice (key one for me is probably the glove box, but also wiper speed/delay, and a quick toggle for chill mode).

Whether or not they are tat is obviously subjective - they feel pretty okay to use (not brilliant), but as I can’t even see mine they certainly don’t look like tat, and don’t make any difference at all to how minimalist the interior is.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,016 Posts
All the boring arguments aside, this is the crux of it for me. A) they enable some stuff that otherwise simply isn’t possible B) They pretty well fix some of the annoying stuff which Tesla’s approach, I’m pretty sure most would agree, made less than ideal in practice (key one for me is probably the glove box, but also wiper speed/delay, and a quick toggle for chill mode).

Whether or not they are tat is obviously subjective - they feel pretty okay to use (not brilliant), but as I can’t even see mine they certainly don’t look like tat, and don’t make any difference at all to how minimalist the interior is.
In all fairness, where you’ve placed yours is better than in the original post pictures, and of course you’re more than entitled to do what you want to your own car.

Personally, and there are no arguments from me, merely opinions, I won’t be getting them for our M3. Like most things Tesla, opinions can be divided apparently. 🙂

1 - 20 of 33 Posts