Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following advice on here, I charged my 12v battery first time since getting car. I took battery out and after putting back in, didn't lose any settings from before.

However, in the UVO app under Status, there's no battery status at bottom of the page anymore. No battery sub-heading listed there now. Used to state Normal in green!

Anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
424 Posts
I took battery out and after putting back in, didn't lose any settings from before.
I wonder if this is the correct procedure. AFAIK there' s a sensor on the 12V that measures the state of the 12V by coulomb counting. Charging the battery off line might confuse the sensor so it doesn't know the actual SOC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m puzzled as to why you removed the battery but have you turned the car on and run it since? The app should update if you do.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
550 Posts
I would suggest to anyone wishing to give their 12V battery a precautionary occasional maintenance charge (or maybe after accidentally running it down) to simply select utility mode for a few hours. That applies a nice 14.7V constant Voltage to charge the 12V battery for as long as that mode is selected. No need to faff with disconnecting the battery or using any external chargers. In fact no need to even open the hood.

So far at least, my E-Niro is looking after the 12V battery quite nicely without doing anything special. Unless something changes, I think the earlier much discussed 12V issues have been resolved.

Just be careful to never press the power button to turn on the car without also holding the brake pressed. In that mode, everything lights up and the audio system can play etc. But the 12V has a high current load thus getting discharged in a relatively short time. That will then trigger the UVO alert quite soon. If you want to sit parked with the stereo etc on, just start the car to the full drive ready state OR select utility mode from the convenience menu.
Peter

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is the app you guys are using called "the uvo app", or is it called "Kia Access with UVO"?

I don't have a battery status at the bottom of the screen, it's in the middle of the screen, and it appears to only be the main battery...

Icon is:

·
Registered
550 Posts
It’s just UVO.....
Peter

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wonder if this is the correct procedure. AFAIK there' s a sensor on the 12V that measures the state of the 12V by coulomb counting. Charging the battery off line might confuse the sensor so it doesn't know the actual SOC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It corresponds with the manual instructions - i.e. to take the battery right out. I must confess I have simply followed my intelligent charger instructions and connected the positive to the battery terminal and the negative to metal on the car.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
266 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is the app you guys are using called "the uvo app", or is it called "Kia Access with UVO"?

I don't have a battery status at the bottom of the screen, it's in the middle of the screen, and it appears to only be the main battery...

Icon is:
UVO bottom of status page shows 12V battery

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I do already have utility mode on and aux battery saver. Having read on here people still were having issues with flat 12v despite trying to get the HV battery to charge 12v. I removed battery because it's been raining constantly last 2 days, didn't want to leave bonnet open, I have an old type battery charger not smart one and didn't want to use an extension outside in the rain. Didn't think there was anything wrong removing it? I charged it because I didn't know how long my car had been sitting in a compound before delivery and despite driving it daily 80 miles commute, when I checked SOC with Torque Pro and OBDII reader, it was always in the 80% range. Now 100%.
Yes I have started car since. I'll see what UVO app says in couple of days.

·
Registered
550 Posts
.........when I checked SOC with Torque Pro and OBDII reader, it was always in the 80% range. Now 100%. Yes I have started car since. I'll see what UVO app says in couple of days.
Please be careful with the various OBD plug in dongles, some of them (not all) can draw a significant nagging current draw from the 12V all the time they are plugged in, even when the car is turned off and parked! If the car was parked a few days this could certainly be a contributing cause of a low battery SOC.

Peter

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please be careful with the various OBD plug in dongles, some of them (not all) can draw a significant nagging current draw from the 12V all the time they are plugged in, even when the car is turned off and parked! If the car was parked a few days this could certainly be a contributing cause of a low battery SOC.

Peter
Thanks. I don't leave the dongle plugged in, just while I check various readings then unplug.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys were correct! After today's 40 mile commute the battery status has appeared again in UVO app. However, I did get a fault light appear on cluster panel with a warning to check vehicle's electric system! The heating which was running then went cold. After arriving at work I turned car off then on again and warning light disappeared and heating got warm again.

I don't know if this is unrelated or the car throwing a hissy fit because I removed the 12v battery to charge it and now the 12v sensor confused?

Shouldn't be a problem removing battery to charge it. This is a common thing to do (on ICE's anyway) and not always possible for everyone to charge whilst still attached to car.

·
Registered
550 Posts
.........Shouldn't be a problem removing battery to charge it. This is a common thing to do (on ICE's anyway) and not always possible for everyone to charge whilst still attached to car.
Glad it’s returning to normal. Sorry to bang this old drum again, but you don’t simply don’t need to remove the battery. Modern cars like this have many systems which are kept alive whilst the car is parked. Removing the battery to charge it is doable but not recommended frequently or without good reason (I would say that anyway).
Just select the Utility mode for a few hours whenever you feel the need. Job done! Nothing could be easier.

Peter

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad it’s returning to normal. Sorry to bang this old drum again, but you don’t simply don’t need to remove the battery. Modern cars like this have many systems which are kept alive whilst the car is parked. Removing the battery to charge it is doable but not recommended frequently or without good reason (I would say that anyway).
Just select the Utility mode for a few hours whenever you feel the need. Job done! Nothing could be easier.

Peter
Thanks Peter,
I do understand your point but there are many on here that have Utility mode on as well as Aux Saver but have found themselves still with a flat battery. I also don't feel happy charging in car with an extension lead in the rain for 12 hours. I do have a battery booster in car just in case and think my car was sitting in a compound for 6 weeks before delivery so thought I'd give it a charge to 100%. Hopefully with all this info others can decide what they want to do with their 12v battery if problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi People,
Not sure if right thread.
Got my e-niro 4 last Tuesday. Delivered and range showing 285 miles. Since having it and charging to 100% I'm not getting near that. Today at work full 100% charge range shown was 260.miles on full charge! Is there an issue with the battery?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts