Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a wonderful car share app big in the USA > Turo Turo car sharing marketplace | Find a rental car alternative or earn money sharing your car
I love to compare cars for myself, as many reviews are biased by personal experiences and values.
So over a few free days on a recent trip to LA I rented 3 cars I wanted to try (along with a test drive of as M3 performance).

Luckily we were staying in near to the wonderful, empty and twisty mountain roads (untouched by recent fires) ...
Screenshot_20181120-143240.png

I am particularly interested in steering feel and handling (rather than outright speed, drag strip or racetrack performance). I have always liked the steering and handling of any Lotus, @Simon Mac will understand :cool: (and lotus derived / aspiring cars eg Tesla Roadster, VX220 and ..... MX5, OK, at a push). I recently drove a friends new Cayman 718, and was very impressed by its steering feel, but prefer soft-tops so Boxster S was on the list, along with the latest MX5 and Model 3.

Let the fun begin :)
(or not, for someone :eek: .... see the skidmarks along with car shaped hole in barrier :D )
Skidmarks.jpg

Here is someone else's video of one of these roads
(best to turn sound off unless you actually like 'rear ice farts' :D )
IMG_20181129_132536790_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181120_145007374_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181129_134705668.jpg IMG_20181120_141152058_HDR.jpg

Personal Conclusions:
These roads, like UK B-roads, would not be fun for larger cars and all SUV's (including both Model S and i-Pace) ... Many bends were v tight 30 mph and speeds were rarely over 60, so size, steering and acceleration were important. An ideal car would probably be a higher powered, small Lotus or sports bike.

MX5 (2018) Steering and handling - just OK, but disappointingly 'dull' and it needed to be really 'wrung out' - just felt slow after being spoilt by instant EV acceleration.

Boxster S (2017) - Clearly set up more for the racetrack than challenging roads like this. Felt a bit wide, but had enormous reserves of grip, so much so that at even this more powerful engine was often bogged down. Steering was no way near as good a 2018 caymen's electric set-up, felt again a bit dull and disappointing.

Model 3 (2017 rwd long range ) - this was an early car, with c 25,000 'rental' miles ! Its steering is higher geared than the Model S (and felt a tad higher than both MX 5 and Boxster). This made it feel much more FUN and responsive - couple this with the instant (silent) acceleration, noticeably smaller size, and for this driver, gets close to driving nirvana. Range was also amazing - even when really trying, it was hard to pull down the range - somehow they have really optimised the efficiency.

Model 3 (2018 dual drive, performance long range ) - as on a demo, I didn't get chance to take this on the mountain twisties. The acceleration was way more than needed, this side of a drag race. The car felt tighter than the 2017, but only as expected from a factory fresh demo car. The driving position feels quite forward, this, along with a very low screen-base (benefit of no instruments) means it is notably easy to see out of, and especially the road in front. The minimalist controls, and screen are really intuitive - sensibly simplified, even after Model S. The heat/ventilation 'strip' and finger controls are wonderful, obvious and make traditional systems seem like 'steam-punk' :ROFLMAO:

After all the hype and previous road tests, I expected to be a bit underwhelmed by the Model 3 - but quite the contrary - this car is a game changer. I expect the 35K short range, to feel similar to the 2017 car I drove, and at that price its a-mazing. No wonder that there is so much FUD spreading about Tesla, the traditional auto-makers must be bricking it.

Disclaimer: no people, animals or cyclists were seen, nevermind annoyed, in these tests - midweek roads surprisingly, totally empty.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Awesome review, was a very interesting read. I'm glad you had a good time with the Model 3, sounds like you had an absolute blast in fact.

I used Turo when I was in California and actually booked a Model 3. Ended up having to switch to a Model S (a 2012 P75D) as the Model 3 was involved in an accident just before I was due to collect it. It was my first time driving a Tesla and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even coming from a Renault ZOE. It certainly wasn't very nimble, sort of reminded me of driving a boat on wheels. But it was exceptionally quick and responsive, plus quiet and refined to drive.

Tesla vehicles have come a very long way since that 2012 Model S. I sat inside and saw plenty of Model 3s and I think my feelings would mirror yours. It's truly a game-changer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad that you had a good time with that 3 Mark... We'll catch up in real life next time!
Thanks Dennis - already missing the blue skys, friendly folk and wide adoption of ALL sorts of personal transport (had quite a few rides on birds :D ) .... as your ex-governor said "I'll be back" (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts