Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I had posted previously about how uncomfortable i felt the e-NV200 seats were in my 2015 tekna, and felt if i had to change them due to the comfort in them was so poor.

Once the seat was removed, it became clear as to why the seats are so poor. Once flipped over to examine the underside of the seat, the seat base has no spring supports under the base cushion, only a solid metal plate profiled to the shape of the foam pad running form front to back of the base, no spring support at all. this explains why the seat is so uncomfortable, only 2 or so inches of foam between your bum and metal plate.

i have now fitted replacement front seats, they came from a 2015 focus ztec, they DO have a sprung base support system, plus the added bonus of being heated, and another bonus for me anyway is they are heated but not leather, i am not a big fan of leather so intentionally looked for seat that was heated but fabric material.

Fitting wasnt too tricky.

The passenger seat has NO airbag, occupancy sensor or seat belt senor, so fitting this was electrically straight forward, as no wiring was required, only fabrication work.

The drivers seat also had no airbag or occupancy sensor, but did have a seatbelt sensor, but that is only an open / closed type swtich so was easy to fit, plus fab work.

I have tested both seat heaters with a 12v battery and they heat up quickly and evenly.

I do have to install a wiring harness to control the seat heaters, I shall do this in the next few days, it is quite straight forward.

The result though, is a drive that has gone from very uncomfortable to being transformed to a joy, it has totally transformed my satisfaction of owning and driving the van.
After driving the van for 200 miles a day for the last 4 months my tolerance level was very low, only after 5 mins of driving the coccyx area of my bum would be sensitive, and getting out would be a relief.
Now, its no longer an issue, its unbelievable the transformation.

I cannot understand Nissan fitting these seats into the vans, and my van is supposed to be a tekna, so should have had a comfort upgrade being it being the top of the range so to speak.

Heres some pics of the seats in the van, they dont look out of place due to the colour i chose.

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
hi all,

I had posted previously about how uncomfortable i felt the e-NV200 seats were in my 2015 tekna, and felt if i had to change them due to the comfort in them was so poor.

Once the seat was removed, it became clear as to why the seats are so poor. Once flipped over to examine the underside of the seat, the seat base has no spring supports under the base cushion, only a solid metal plate profiled to the shape of the foam pad running form front to back of the base, no spring support at all. this explains why the seat is so uncomfortable, only 2 or so inches of foam between your bum and metal plate.

i have now fitted replacement front seats, they came from a 2015 focus ztec, they DO have a sprung base support system, plus the added bonus of being heated, and another bonus for me anyway is they are heated but not leather, i am not a big fan of leather so intentionally looked for seat that was heated but fabric material.

The passenger seat has NO airbag, occupancy sensor or seat belt senor, so fitting this was electrically straight forward, as no wiring was required, only fabrication work.

The drivers seat also had no airbag or occupancy sensor, but did have a seatbelt sensor, but that is only an open / closed type swtich so was easy to fit, plus fab work.

I have tested both seat heaters with a 12v battery and they heat up quickly and evenly.

I do have to install a wiring harness to control the seat heaters, I shall do this in the next few days, it is quite straight forward.

The result though, is a drive that has gone from very uncomfortable to being transformed to a joy, it has totally transformed my satisfaction of owning and driving the van.
After driving the van for 200 miles a day for the last 4 months my tolerance level was very low, only after 5 mins of driving the coccyx area of my bum would be sensitive, and getting out would be a relief.

I cannot understand Nissan fitting these seats into the vans, and my van is supposed to be a tekna, so should have had a comfort upgrade being it being the top of the range so to speak.

Heres some pics of the seats in the van, they dont look out of place due to the colour i chose.
U drive an EV for 200 miles everyday?! Ecotricity must be counting ur money? How many hrs do u spend charging?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,369 Posts
No air bag in this day and age!! :eek:

Presumably no seat belt tensioners either, then! (n)

How was it to mount? Was there no adaption required?

Nice looking outcome though.

I have had seats with foam and moulded underside only and TBH they last a heck of a lot longer. Personally I like a very firm seat, so that plus lasting longer would be my preference but obviously people have different tastes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry guys,

made an error in the original post, its not 200 miles a day, its 100 miles, soory for the error.

The van does 50 miles in the morning and 2.25 hours (25 miles each way) taking my son to college, and 50 miles in afternoon collection him. Inbetween journeys its on the charger. a total of 4.5 hours a day in the van driving. It has got 6.6 charging.
No ecoT anywhere near here sadly in the south wales valleys.

I had to do abit of fabrication work to get them to mount to the existing mounting points, nothing too difficult, of course had to have access to a welder and other tools like any workshop would have.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I actually find them comfy...260 mile journey to Leicester (in the good old days of free ecotricty when you could make long journeys cheaper in an EV than a 2.5l diesel 4wd!!)

No sore bum or back and I suffer from a bad back.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Brett,

for sure comfort and support is very individual, but i personally couldnt live with the seats any longer. I have 2 carers that help me somedays ake my son to college and they also say the seats are a massive plus.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,369 Posts
Unlikely you will find one from another car, but plenty of companies make M1 seating that you can engineering in for yourself. (Rescroft, Phoneix, etc) You will have to tell your insurance company about any such modifications, of course.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Whilst your welds are probably good, I am wondering if any inspection (other then an MOT) is required for this modification and if you have to notify anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all,

Hi, what did you do with the hand brake? as I'm sure its kind of attached to the drivers seat.
I'm wanting to put some new seats in mine because they're horrendous. maybe some Audi A5 seats or something. just thinking of the best way to do it. cheers

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

I purchased a new set of seat bases off breakers on ebay (40 quid the pair) and cut those down to the correct height with the replacement seats mounted on them. The handbrake was then bolted back onto the seat base (as far as i can remember). t didnt pose too much of an issue tbh.

Hi, what did you do with the hand brake? as I'm sure its kind of attached to the drivers seat.
I'm wanting to put some new seats in mine because they're horrendous. maybe some Audi A5 seats or something. just thinking of the best way to do it. cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts