Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I should have read the manual, but finding little easter eggs like this after 12 months is amazing. Just in case anyone else hasn't read the manual and doesn't know, if you push the light stalk away from you 3 times, you get automatic high beam assist. Don't know how good it is yet, but itching to find out. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
It's ok, twisty roads are a bit of a challenge for it, and some people will flash you anyway, as I guess you may have found.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's ok, twisty roads are a bit of a challenge for it, and some people will flash you anyway, as I guess you may have found.
Literally found it by accident in the early hours on a deserted road so no "feed back" from on-coming drivers yet. :)

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I know I should have read the manual, but finding little easter eggs like this after 12 months is amazing. Just in case anyone else hasn't read the manual and doesn't know, if you push the light stalk away from you 3 times, you get automatic high beam assist. Don't know how good it is yet, but itching to find out. :)
3 times? Mine just requires you to push the stalk away once to turn it on provided the lights are set to auto.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
3 times? Mine just requires you to push the stalk away once to turn it on provided the lights are set to auto.
Same - have used it all the time - quicker response than manual control. Very impressed with it.

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
In my Ioniq, you just push the stalk once. In almost all situations, I've found its as quick to switch them off and back on as if doing it manually. Only thing I don't like is it turns off as I turn right on T-junctions, possibly due to glare from road signs as I approach.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try that later when it's dark. One push didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'll read the manual.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I'll try that later when it's dark. One push didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'll read the manual.
Reading the manual is a good idea. I found out how to turn on automatic high beam but I had to resort to reading the manual to figure out how to turn it off again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Again Ioniq, Yes push forwards once turns auto beam on , push forward again turns it off, and auto beam dips if your speed slows to about 25mph hence turning off when turning right

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
280 Posts
Well I don't know about Hyundai but I had this on many of my German ICE cars over the years and it is brilliant feature, you just drive on the motorway without worrying about changing the lights. You should have camera above your rearview mirror (look at the windshield) and that constantly monitoring the incoming traffic lights and doing all the work for you 😁 Here I am assuming that this is the feature on your car...

·
Registered
155 Posts
IMO it works very well and wasn’t even listed as an option on the first Kona I had but worked all the same, like you I found by accident as I wasn’t expecting it to be present! It will sometimes dip more often than I would like but it’s very good at not blinding others, or at least I’ve never been flashed to say otherwise.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The only issue I’ve found is lorry drivers coming over the crest of a hill. The camera is poor at picking up the cab-top beacons and it tends to blind lorry drivers, which can make them quite distressed. And they very often their own miniature sun mounted on the front/top of the cab so I tend to manually kill the high-beam when I spot lorries on the crest of a hill. But that happened on my last two Audi‘s. One of which had matrix headlamps, which are otherwise magical things. Quite incredible How they just bend the main beam out of the way to not avoid people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Always a slight delay with the auto high beam headlights, but been generally impressed with them. Certainly no worse than on my Skoda Octavia which was where I first experienced them...
On another topic of hidden features (unless you read the manual) is the lane assist (or whatever they call the softeare that keeps you in the same lane....) when you have cruise control activated - have been pleasantly surprised with it at keeping the car within the lane on a 20 mile route.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts