Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today it finally happened after months of research and longing we finally got our 2012 Ampera and I am over the moon. She is perfect and unlike any car I have ever seen before she is sleek but has a back end to die for!!! I have always been a petrol head and now I am an electric head and I love it I don't understand why more people don't drive these beauties. please stop by and say hello.

·
Registered
379 Posts
So today it finally happened after months of research and longing we finally got our 2012 Ampera and I am over the moon. She is perfect and unlike any car I have ever seen before she is sleek but has a back end to die for!!! I have always been a petrol head and now I am an electric head and I love it I don't understand why more people don't drive these beauties. please stop by and say hello.
Brilliant, enjoy, I've had mine 4 weeks & it just gets better. It's a fantastic car & it's like being let in on a secret;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
It really is she is so Quiet where are you guys from? is the Ampera your first Hybrid?
We are in Gloucestershire & yes it's my first Hybrid/EV. I am recent convert & spent 6 months testing everything from Tesla (came close to buying), Porsche Panamera E (awesome), Leafs, Zoe, Ioniqs you name it. My humble opinion is the Ampera is genius & trumps everything. In EV mode it is sublime, quiet, comfortable & great handling & for day to day driving is free to run (well 70p) but has an engine for longer journeys so no range anxiety.

Launched too early to a sceptical world with the "wrong" badge (just won't do in Notting Hill dahling, what would the neighbours say). The earlier adopters are starting to move on, great news for us...I love it:)

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are in Gloucestershire & yes it's my first Hybrid/EV. I am recent convert & spent 6 months testing everything from Tesla (came close to buying), Porsche Panamera E (awesome), Leafs, Zoe, Ioniqs you name it. My humble opinion is the Ampera is genius & trumps everything. In EV mode it is sublime, quiet, comfortable & great handling & for day to day driving is free to run (well 70p) but has an engine for longer journeys so no range anxiety.

Launched too early to a sceptical world with the "wrong" badge (just won't do in Notting Hill dahling, what would the neighbours say). The earlier adopters are starting to move on, great news for us...I love it:)
for sure :) a lot of police officers drive them I found out recently which intrigued me no end

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Ive had my 2012 ampera for 2 years and it's been a great car so far I can't think of anything I would want instead
Mine had 20000 miles when I got it now it 64000 and paid £14000 for it
What's the price and mileage on your one hope you don't mind me asking
It's interesting to know what they go for now

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick question about the car - we went for a drive around Sheffield and the county roads today and about 30 mins into the drive on a country road a message flashed on the driver side display which my partner says said " LOW TRACTION DETECTED" it only flashed up for a few seconds and then went away and then didn't come back I have read the manual from cover to cover and I cant seem to find what it means.

Am pretty sure someone here will know what it means and I am probably panicking over nothing.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ah the traction control, Should really be triggered by slippery surfaces (and is) Turns the power down and kills the cruse control.
Other causes worn front tyres and new back ones and the reverse, can sense the difference. Going round left hand bends fast for some reason? Uneven tyre pressure etc. Mine did it all the time until I changed the tyres but the ones on it had perished to a degree. Honest officer I wasn't going too fast round the corner....

Can be turned off on the roof switches

Some thoughts 'Low Traction' warning.

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that explains it the tyres are all new we saw receipts and the pressures are all equal plus ya know new toy needs to be tested and played with :cool: at least its nothing serious also so not used to this tec lol the Aygo we also have goes from a to B with music and that's about it

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went for a drive to the local shopping centre today and were discussing what would happen should we need to charge away from home is there any way to lock the charger when it is plugged into an a charging point and we can't see it

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
On old (and these are old) 3pin posts then the EVSE plug is locked into the post. On more upto date units the type 2 plug is locked into the post. For the ultimately paranoid you can use a padlock on a type 1 plug to stop it being removed or as an alternative loop the cable into the barrier round the post and fix a padlock to prevent removal.

upload_2017-7-3_22-36-26.png upload_2017-7-3_22-40-52.png

Me if charging away from home I just plug it in....

Someone (not me) suggested hanging a notice on the cable saying danger 240/415V do not touch:sneaky:

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol
On old (and these are old) 3pin posts then the EVSE plug is locked into the post. On more upto date units the type 2 plug is locked into the post. For the ultimately paranoid you can use a padlock on a type 1 plug to stop it being removed or as an alternative loop the cable into the barrier round the post and fix a padlock to prevent removal.

View attachment 44625 View attachment 44633

Me if charging away from home I just plug it in....

Someone (not me) suggested hanging a notice on the cable saying danger 240/415V do not touch:sneaky:
Some of the people round here would see the sign as a challenge! And the padlock does seem like a plan thanks again I shall call u my Ampera Guru :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Probably best not to use the EVSE (Granny lead) as they are expensive to replace something in the order of £400/500 from you local VXL Ampera dealer. I have an untethered wall port and take my cable with me if I'm going to charge away. Otherwise its left hanging on the charger padlocked to a shackle.

eek! that's going to get me banned :notworthy: good spot, there is only one Guru on Amperas

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably best not to use the EVSE (Granny lead) as they are expensive to replace something in the order of £400/500 from you local VXL Ampera dealer. I have an untethered wall port and take my cable with me if I'm going to charge away. Otherwise its left hanging on the charger padlocked to a shackle.
I take it that's the charger that comes with the car and fits nicely in its own little slot in the boot? We were thinking of getting a spare any way so would it be better then to get a cheaper one for outdoor charging and keep the original for the garage in the new house?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts