Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
Picked up my 2 and a half year old e-Golf yesterday. Very nice with just over 12,000 miles on it :) . Had a 70 mile journey home from the dealership and just less than half a charge left so happy with the range. Just topped up with the granny cable so I have 138mile in the batteries.

Long term, I plan to get a dedicated EV wall charger but I have a few questions:
  • What wall charges are classed as the best/most reliable? I know this is subjective but it's a minefield so hoping for a few pointers from those that have gone before me.
  • Anyone had one installed by a North West of England installer hopefully servicing the Southport area? I know we have a local installer AMP EV. Anyone used them?
  • Lastly, and this is the one causing me the biggest headache. Our fusebox and electric meter is in the middle of the house joining the wall between our semi-detached house and next door. Has anyone had to face a cabling issue like this? We (a few years ago) had solar panels installed and this went through the kitchen near the ceiling in trunking which as we have knocked through is now in the ceiling cavity. My issue is how would they install the cable required to connect to the fuse box? When we had work done we had the ceiling re-plastered and my wife would kill me if this needed doing again.
Sorry for all the questions but the last one is what is putting me off getting a wall charger at the moment. As I'm working from home at the moment I'm not doing a lot of milage so the granny cable is fine for a few weeks but just need to get my head around the above.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Glyn

·
Registered
374 Posts
I’ve had my e-Golf for 15 months now and have only ever used the 3-pin plug on the basis that even if I coasted onto my drive at 0%, it’s only going to take 15 hours to recharge it. So that’s overnight!

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve had my e-Golf for 15 months now and have only ever used the 3-pin plug on the basis that even if I coasted onto my drive at 0%, it’s only going to take 15 hours to recharge it.
Good to know. Less than half full and had it on 3 hour charge yesterday and 6 hours today. We have solar panels so benefits to use those rather than overnight charging.

·
jim5452
367 Posts
Usually the advice depends upon various things,are you going to go for OLEV grant or go it alone, to get the grant the charger has to be "smart", there are a few to choose from they are more expensiveand even with the grant.
The next thing to consider is do you have or may have in the future "SOLAR" in which case you need a suitable charger to gain the most benifit.
Then you lifestyle and after this lockdown the amount of use the EV will have
After that you need an "EV" tariff if you have not already got one, I manage 1.5p per mile on electric, and free on "SOLAR"
A lot to think about, take your time

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually the advice depends upon various things,are you going to go for OLEV grant or go it alone, to get the grant the charger has to be "smart", there are a few to choose from they are more expensiveand even with the grant.
The next thing to consider is do you have or may have in the future "SOLAR" in which case you need a suitable charger to gain the most benifit.
Then you lifestyle and after this lockdown the amount of use the EV will have
After that you need an "EV" tariff if you have not already got one, I manage 1.5p per mile on electric, and free on "SOLAR"
A lot to think about, take your time
Looking at a smart EV so I can get the grant and probably the feed in from the Solar panels which is usually an additional £60.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Our fusebox and electric meter is in the middle of the house joining the wall between our semi-detached house and next door. Has anyone had to face a cabling issue like this? We (a few years ago) had solar panels installed and this went through the kitchen near the ceiling in trunking which as we have knocked through is now in the ceiling cavity. My issue is how would they install the cable required to connect to the fuse box? When we had work done we had the ceiling re-plastered and my wife would kill me if this needed doing again.
Is trunking not an option for your EV charger? That's how mine is routed - similar problem of the consumer unit and meter being in the middle of the house, and we'd fairly recently redecorated so didn't want to start knocking holes in walls again. Cable will probably get poked into the wall when we next decorate, but for now, the trunking is a fine low effort solution. Only extra cost over the standard installation was the price of the trunking, which was basically nothing.

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is trunking not an option for your EV charger? That's how mine is routed - similar problem of the consumer unit and meter being in the middle of the house, and we'd fairly recently redecorated so didn't want to start knocking holes in walls again. Cable will probably get poked into the wall when we next decorate, but for now, the trunking is a fine low effort solution. Only extra cost over the standard installation was the price of the trunking, which was basically nothing.
Trunking from the side of the house would have to go across the ceiling as we've knocked through the kitchen into the living room. It would look a right eyesore and my wife would never agree to it.
Will probably get a quote but if any say the karndean flooring has to come up or trunking across the ceiling then it's going to be a big no.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Trunking from the side of the house would have to go across the ceiling as we've knocked through the kitchen into the living room. It would look a right eyesore and my wife would never agree to it.
Will probably get a quote but if any say the karndean flooring has to come up or trunking across the ceiling then it's going to be a big no.
We didn't want to pull up our hardwood floor, and installer basically said it would cost extra and they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't be damaged, so we didn't want to risk it. Our trunking isn't too bad, it sits right up against the white ceiling and runs continuously around a wall. But it's the usual problem with electrician work - you'll ever get trunking or you'll need to do some decorating.

My approach for the wife was "it's sometimes better to ask for forgiveness than permission"... risky game, but it paid off.

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My approach for the wife was "it's sometimes better to ask for forgiveness than permission"... risky game, but it paid off.
I'm not brave enough for that. Plans for the new kitchen/Living room all done by her and trunking would be a no no.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You dont say how many miles/yr you think you will do. If its not too many then the granny cable should suffice. The granny cable charges at approx 10mls/hr. If you and the car at home you can manually charge from the PV but if not charge from TOU tariff like Octopus Go.

If you have outsde plug what size is the cabling to that if 32A then you are in to other approaches.

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You dont say how many miles/yr you think you will do. If its not too many then the granny cable should suffice. The granny cable charges at approx 10mls/hr. If you and the car at home you can manually charge from the PV but if not charge from TOU tariff like Octopus Go.

If you have outsde plug what size is the cabling to that if 32A then you are in to other approaches.
At the moment I’m not doing a lot of mileage. In the last 8 months I’ve only done just over 2000 miles due to working from home and lockdown.
Normally I would do 18,000 miles but for the next few months will be the same as the last 8 months.
I’ve decided that the best would be using the granny cable and if I need a bit of a run we have an InstaVolt charging point on the way home. I’ll review when I find out what’s happening work wise later in the year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts