Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I ordered the car back in October, and collected it at the weekend.

I did my first long(ish) trip in it today, a 220 miles round trip that I do around 6 to 8 times a month. I have been doing it in my I-Pace, so was quite interested in what the difference would be in the MG.

The I-Pace will easily do the full return trip on a single charge, even in the winter in the UK. Clearly I was not expecting the MG to emulate this, so I had a planned a stop close to the outward target for charging. This was a Polar Charger that I used a lot when I had the 2018 Leaf. Unfortunately, when I got there it was broken. Just up the road (about 3 miles) was a Ecotricity Charger, so I headed for that. No issues there - just plugged it in and the car charged for 48 minutes and added 22kWh of energy. Not particularly fast charging, but good enough at around 115 miles of range added per hour of charging.

For the overall trip the car reported an average consumption of 4.2miles/kWh. If I assume 40kW of useable battery (maybe someone can correct me on that), then that works out at 168 miles of range. That is probably better than I expected at this time of the year, so well pleased with that.

The car drives really well and has a surprising amount of get up and go. It certainly feels faster that 8.5secs to 60mph.

Am I pleased with the car? Yes :)

Chewy

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree to me it feels a lot faster than 8.5 seconds.

Has anyone timed it? I think they did on one of James and Kate’s reviews but it’s been a while and they done quite a few videos now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree to me it feels a lot faster than 8.5 seconds.

Has anyone timed it? I think they did on one of James and Kate’s reviews but it’s been a while and they done quite a few videos now.
I think It’s 8.5 in normal mode, I believe someone has timed sport mode at 7.1

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I think the useable battery capacity is the 44.5kWh as reported by Teslabjorn in his Thai videos.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the useable battery capacity is the 44.5kWh as reported by Teslabjorn in his Thai videos.
Hi Mike, Good to hear from you. I followed your Leaf tribulations :) Nissan eventually took mine back.

I understood that the battery capacity is 44.5kWh. Is this the full capacity or the useable capacity as you suggest?

I might ask my dealer to see if they know for definite.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
Hi Mike, Good to hear from you. I followed your Leaf tribulations :) Nissan eventually took mine back.

I understood that the battery capacity is 44.5kWh. Is this the full capacity or the useable capacity as you suggest?

I might ask my dealer to see if they know for definite.
Total capacity is somewhere around 45 or 46kWh. Usable is quoted as 44.5kWh.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
That's not much of a buffer!
Indeed. I know there is speculation that the buffer is more, but no solid evidence of that. No solid evidence of 44.5kWh either though I'm sure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Last night I completed a long trip after having to charge on the final leg after the GOM indicated the --- range remaining.

It first came on about three miles from the charger. I knew the charger was 100% reliable hence I continued on to it. When the charge started GOM indicated 8 miles and 4%. Not sure if there is any more juice as a buffer after the 4%!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Last night I completed a long trip after having to charge on the final leg after the GOM indicated the --- range remaining.

It first came on about three miles from the charger. I knew the charger was 100% reliable hence I continued on to it. When the charge started GOM indicated 8 miles and 4%. Not sure if there is any more juice as a buffer after the 4%!
Wow..... That is cutting it "Bjorn" close @RicM !.
SSShhhiiiitttt !.
So, how many miles do you think the car has in REAL range, at the very point when you receive the "---" symbol in the instrument cluster then, 10 - 15 miles ?.
When travelling home the other day on the motorway, I received the "Bong" and the orange charging pump message that said :- "Start thinking about getting a charge" ( Or words close to that effect ).
Straight away, I checked the reported range on the "Gom" and it estimated I had about thirty miles remaining if I remember correctly.
I also noticed that you get the orange warning symbol, as soon as you hit the last white bar of the HV battery gauge.
Not unlike many of the ICE cars I have owned then really.
The only difference being, that the ICE cars offers a slightly bigger range to empty when you get the "Low Fuel Warning Light" - roughly about 45 ish miles+.
No panic, we arrived home with about 26 miles left I think ?.
I understanding it's a big learning curve moving to a BEV for the very first time, it is for me anyway !.
I don't mind admitting so, I would be getting "Sweaty Bum" if I had to run on "Turtle" mode trying to find a charger !.
I think the more you drive a BEV, the more confident you become on just how far you can push the limits when it comes to range etc.
I have only owned a BEV for about 4 weeks now and a couple of days ago we made an unexpected journey.
The car was on charge and we wanted to leave, I checked the range and it was around 118 miles.
The trip was about 50 ish miles each way.
We could have taken my wife's Fiat 500 - but no, lets take the EV.
Had no idea if the place offered a charger etc, just went for it !.
The car did the trip both ways with the heater on 95% of the time.
My point here is this, I NEVER would have taken on that journey only three weeks ago unless the car was 100% charged !.
Just got to remember not to get over confident and fall on my arse though !.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Battery in winter at least is closer to 41-42kWh usable from my calculations and also from Bjorn's 1000km test.

Acceleration feels like 8.5s to me, having had a fair number of fast cars in the past.

The difference between EV and ICE is that when you floor the accelerator in an EV it is the equivalent of dumping the clutch at full throttle on an ICE - hence being able to beef most ICE off the line.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have just over 2 months and just over 2400 miles on the clock and this was my first foray into the EV twilight one. Before I got to the charger I was stuck behind a lorry travelling at 45 mph and I had no intension of overtaking it!

Last reading I had on the GOM was 9 miles, so I would say that that is the point when the 'dashes of dread' appear. As I knew I had only 4 miles to the reliable charger I was apprehensive but not 'sweaty bum'.

Yes, about 30 miles I received an orange recharge now message. At 15 miles you get the message again but its red in colour!

Won't be trying this again anytime soon though! It has given me the confidence though to never drop below 20 miles from any reliable charger to keep the blood pressure down.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
When it drops to 1 blob on the battery gauge you get the message and have 25% SOC.

At 10% SOC the blob starts to flash.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
Before I got to the charger I was stuck behind a lorry travelling at 45 mph and I had no intension of overtaking it!
Best place to be in that situation. The lorry was breaking the wind for you and saving electric. Used to do it all the time when I had my 22 kWh Zoe. Could get 5 - 6 m/kWh doing it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I travelled home from SW London on Monday evening,had a rapid charge at Morrisons in Weybridge.82% when I left and managed to get home with 11 miles left on the GOM. I did a timed charge on my Pod Point overnight, it started at 1am so I don't know the battery % but by the morning it was fully charged. The Pod Point app said it had added 40.1kw.
I think it will take someone braver than me to take it much further.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
At 10% SOC the blob starts to flash.
So worst case your looking at 4kWh in winter... or about 10miles conservatively. When I get the "---" in my Zoe this basically means you've got about 1kWh left max or abut 3miles before the grind to a halt (post BMS)

Reactions: Neilew and Carty

·
Registered
235 Posts
I went to see my kids at the weekend which is a 238 mile trip each way. I was heading into deepest darkest west wales where chargers are like oases in the dessert! For the first 70 miles or so I drove sensibly, partly motivated by the smart motorway and general heavy traffic. Managed to get onto a charger at Cardiff Gate and left there with around 82%. I stopped once more for a quick top up as there is only one charger in St Davids and people tend to park up overnight on it as it is free. I probably arrived with 40 miles range left so over a 238 mile trip I charged for about an hour.

On the way back I drove a bit more like I would in an ICE (75-80) on the motorway. I hit up the Polar at Malpas and the Ecotricity at Strensham and spent an hour, in total, charging again. I got back with only 9 miles remaining. I did notice on the way back that I didn't get charge rates exceeding about 37kwh. Not sure if this was to do with the thrashing the car had been given or just that charge rates were crap but it was consistent across two different providers in two different locations.

So, 238 miles, not driving in a particularly eco minded way, starting off full, an hour of charging on the way and arriving empty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts