Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019, 2014 Nissan Leaf
210 Posts
And what is the plan for getting petrol?

Reactions: cah197

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,569 Posts
Rent a smaller car and take the Leaf too? Stick 3 kids in the hire car then you can have peace while you bimble down to London small chunks at a time....

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,787 Posts
the booking is cancelled as they dont have any 7 seater cars.
That’s a total pain for sure.
Might be worth looking at rental places based out of the airport or train station as likely to be ‘open’ all the time so no extra booking fees. Also look at vans rather than cars as they might have a mini bus or something like s-max/galaxy/sharan which should be big enough for your needs.

These are crazy times at present and all manner of issues seem to be affecting many services/deliveries.

A wild option might be to call ‘onto’ and see if they have immediate availability of a suitable sized car for subscription for a month. Probably cheaper option than hiring for a week.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It would be cheaper to get an EV from Onto for a month.

£559 for a month all inclusive. 245 mile range.
1,000 mile monthly limit. You'd do over 800 miles return just going Edinburgh to Legoland directly.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
1,000 mile monthly limit. You'd do over 800 miles return just going Edinburgh to Legoland directly.
You can buy extra miles in multiples of 250.
Plus it's an EV and the charging is included in the price.

There's a £50 delivery and collection fee if you can't go to them.
500 miles extra is £60, 750 is £105

The issue may be vehicle shortage.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,973 Posts
I've heard this said dozens of times on here. "Just hire a car for long journeys" Well i can tell you that after this weeks experience, never again. Really makes me wonder if the people saying these things have actually done it or not...

I've got a LEAF 30, which i use for commuting, clearly not great for a long trip and doesnt really fit three children. I've also got two old ICE cars. Between the three cars we get by, but with a third child having arrived 4 months ago, we made a conscious decision to get a larger EV, and ordered an Enyaq which can replace the LEAF and provide a vehicle that suits all purposes.

Unfortunately, the Enyaq isnt here yet (ordered in May, with a delivery date of August/September!) and several months ago we booked a holiday to Legoland for the October break with the kids expecting we'd have the Enyaq for it. So with no Enyaq, a LEAF that can barely drive the length of itself and deosnt fit the family anyway, we discounted one ICE as the head gaskets have been giving warning signs for a while now and i dont want to risk it, leaving us with the other, not ideal but it would do, until it puked all its power steering fluid over the driveway last week...

So we figured, lets just hire a car.

We jumped on a few comparison sites and realized the first issue, trying to filter for cars that are actually large enough is near impossible, they wont guarantee a particular car anyway, leading to having to overcompensate to ensure we get something thats actually big enough to fit three kids in the back. So after much messing about, i booked a 7 seater people carrier for the 7 days. £400. ouch!

Then the next issue... £60 surcharge because we want to collect out of hours (10am on a sunday apparently is out of hours) and then it complains the place cannot accept the car back on a sunday because they have no secure drop box (and 10am sunday is out of hours), so i'd have to drop it elsewhere for another surcharge (or extend the hire, at my cost). And all of this inconvenience is happening in Edinburgh, 30 odd miles away from where we live, because its the nearest place with hire facilities. So picking the car up is going to be a 2 hour round trip, with the whole family.

So fine, suck it up, pay all the extras and stump up far too much money for 7 days hire of some shitbox people carrier of unknown make/model. At least its sorted.

Except it isnt, because this morning, less than a week before i'm supposed to leave they email saying the booking is cancelled as they dont have any 7 seater cars. Great. Back on the comparison sites and find prices are now higher, and selection is even more limited, so unless i want to hire a range rover for 1500quid i'm pretty much stuffed.

Excellent!
Which rental company?

Anyway, you might have found yourself an airport transfer company to take you for less (inc fuel, parking, and all the rest of the shit). Drop at the door and collect at the door, could have been/be the best way?

Or just fly?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Which model do you have on order?

Scotland to Legoland, that’s like 400miles of motorway driving. Having just done a 135mile motorway trip in my Enyaq I can tell you that at this time of year, if you put the ACC at 70mph then about 150miles is the most you’d want to risk on 100% (of the 60 model). And your following legs will be shorter due to only going to 80% on the rapids, so you’re still talking about at least 2 if not 3 stops even in the Enyaq. Now if you’re stopping anyway that’s fine, nobody should drive 400miles without a break, but it’s a far cry from just filling up before leaving and getting there on a single tank.

In normal times renting isn’t that bad, but it’s still uncomfortable due to the risk of being screwed over in the case of an accident. You should always seek a third party insurance for the rental excess, it’s much cheaper than the one offered by the rental company.
Its a 60 i've ordered. We split the trip in half deliberately, booking a hotel in Preston for both south and northbound routes. The hotel has a charger. We expected probably 1 mandatory charging stop in the Enyaq, and frankly, with 3 kids, 2 hours driving is probably about all your going to manage anyway, so quite possible we'd end up stopping more than once anyway.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It would be cheaper to get an EV from Onto for a month.

£559 for a month all inclusive. 245 mile range.
I cant imagine a Kona is any bigger than the LEAF inside... I also would guess that getting a car from on.to to Fife in 4 days is somewhat unlikely...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
I cant imagine a Kona is any bigger than the LEAF inside... I also would guess that getting a car from on.to to Fife in 4 days is somewhat unlikely...
Yep, you'd need to give them a ring.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Needed to hire a van last Friday to move the wife’s horse stuff from one livery yard to another.

Was staggered at how much prices had risen at the national firms.

Nearest to us is Enterprise in Melton Mowbray. Last time I hired something from them was a Golf at the beginning of last year. £35 for the day.
Website was quoting £168 for the day for the same sized car.

Standard sized transit was nearly £200 for last Friday. Checked about the other nationals and same story there too.

Called some of the owner operated local firms. Different story. £50.

Thing is a lot of the local firms own some or all of their fleets. Means older vehicles, but it’s just a tool to borrow for a few days. As long as it goes (and stops!) and has proper breakdown cover, it’s better than paying 3 or 4 times more for something new.

The larger local firms and the nationals rent their fleet from firms such as VRS for 3 or 6 months fixed contract
The supplier will want them back on time for resale, particularly at the moment because everything’s selling at a premium in the trade due to the chip shortage.

Nothing’s coming in at the other end, so rental firms are short of fleet and are responding to customer demand.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I'd sort the ICE out and stop being such a jessie ;) - our FRV shat its PAS fluid last year - the cooling pipe that runs in front of the radiator had split through corrosion.

That was a fun 6 hours taking off the front of the car, swearing at a rusty bolt (all hail Irwin shitted bolt extractors!) and then getting it all back together.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
60 Posts
Except it isnt, because this morning, less than a week before i'm supposed to leave they email saying the booking is cancelled as they dont have any 7 seater cars. Great. Back on the comparison sites and find prices are now higher, and selection is even more limited, so unless i want to hire a range rover for 1500quid i'm pretty much stuffed.

Excellent!
Have you tried Arnold Clark? We've used them for years (Dundee and Glasgow branches) and never had a problem - they even deliver and collect from the house. I'm not connected with them in any way, just a suggestion.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
I did this returning from IKEA one time and nearly died. my belt was on but neither my hips or shoulders could fit between the car seats, unless at 90 degrees. Not gonna work!
That would be a squeeze in most cars with the seats my kids used to have.

And yet I did this numerous times in my Zoe. Pensioner in the front, 2 kids in full child seats and my partner in the middle. Not for long trips but perfectly acceptable if say you took the train to Legoland then booked a run around for the area.

It seems to me that many folk with kids on the way equate biggest most expensive car seat as the best one. Whereas I went for sensibly sized with good reviews. I didn't caref they didn't look like overstuffed racing seats.

·
Registered
2017 Leaf 30, 09 Honda Jazz LR
21 Posts
Standard sized transit was nearly £200 for last Friday. Checked about the other nationals and same story there too.

Called some of the owner operated local firms. Different story. £50.
Local owner operated firms can be very handy. We rented a transit to go camping (crew van, 2 benches, 6 seats, at least the outer rear ones had isofix - we were only 4 total) instead of a 7 seater. This was before chip shortage etc. but even then 7 seaters were extortionate on hire.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'd sort the ICE out and stop being such a jessie ;) - our FRV shat its PAS fluid last year - the cooling pipe that runs in front of the radiator had split through corrosion.

That was a fun 6 hours taking off the front of the car, swearing at a rusty bolt (all hail Irwin shitted bolt extractors!) and then getting it all back together.
I think it's the rack itself ☹
It did this 2-3 years ago, dumped all the fluid into the rack end boots, and I sent the rack off for reconditioning. And tbh I just don't have the time to pull it apart and sort it. Working all week and then have two days at the weekend before we leave, and while it might be possible to fix it, if I fail without another solution then I'd be in deep shit.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
And yet I did this numerous times in my Zoe. Pensioner in the front, 2 kids in full child seats and my partner in the middle. Not for long trips but perfectly acceptable if say you took the train to Legoland then booked a run around for the area.

It seems to me that many folk with kids on the way equate biggest most expensive car seat as the best one. Whereas I went for sensibly sized with good reviews. I didn't caref they didn't look like overstuffed racing seats.
We recently bought two Joie Trillos on recommendation that they were pretty narrow. Not particularly expensive. Unfortunately they're not particularly narrow either 🙄

However tonight I managed to fit both Trillos and the group 0 baby carrier in the rear. Baby carrier needs to go in the middle though as that's the only way the other seats have sufficient shoulder room. It also works just fine with one of the Trillos swapped for an adult.

Snug. Not ideal having the baby carrier in the middle for getting in and out. But it should work!

Just ordered a roof box and bars as well.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts