Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
112 Posts
You're in a bit of a predicament.

You should name and shame the car rental firm for starters. They're basically a monopoly, with three multinational businesses running 95% of the market, and don't even get me started on Sixt, utter charlatans.

Is repairing the car that dropped the power steering fluid pointless? You mentioned the head gasket could be on the way out?

I wouldn't consider 800+ miles in electric with three kids. If it was a bit of a road trip, fine, just you and your wife, me I'd be looking at a diesel estate.

What about buying a used car? You could probably sell it for what you paid for it when you get back.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,396 Posts
Absolutely agree with the OP. Car rental has always been a nightmare. Picking up and returning the smelly vehicle from a dingy yard and then (how the hell are you supposed to do that) filling in forms, worrying about insurance and overfilling on return to make sure they dont charge extra. Thats why I'm finding it hard to get rid of my very efficient and comfortable Renault Grand Scenic - 5 years old, fully paid for, cheap tax and very low mileage.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Plane/train and multiple UberXLs is gonna be much cheaper than car hire.

Not sure what Sturgeon’s telling you folks up there about relative risk, but being on a train for 6 hours is far safer than driving 800 miles.

Reactions: tom66

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe hire a motorhome and make the trip part of the holiday experience? Mind you, that will not be anymore affordable I suspect, but it does give you many more options. I hope you get to go to Legoland as M&D's is pretty limited I believe.

·
Registered
VW ID4 GTX (on order)
79 Posts
Plane/train and multiple UberXLs is gonna be much cheaper than car hire.

Not sure what Sturgeon’s telling you folks up there about relative risk, but being on a train for 6 hours is far safer than driving 800 miles.
Apparently at some point once this pandemic is over Covid will be gone forever.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You're in a bit of a predicament.

You should name and shame the car rental firm for starters. They're basically a monopoly, with three multinational businesses running 95% of the market, and don't even get me started on Sixt, utter charlatans.

Is repairing the car that dropped the power steering fluid pointless? You mentioned the head gasket could be on the way out?

I wouldn't consider 800+ miles in electric with three kids. If it was a bit of a road trip, fine, just you and your wife, me I'd be looking at a diesel estate.

What about buying a used car? You could probably sell it for what you paid for it when you get back.
It was europcar. Unfortunately it was booked thru one of those intermediate websites that didn't actually make it very clear that certain models have limited availability and would be confirmed later by email.

The website made it appear that it had all gone thru. So certainly part of the blame lies with me.

I guess my initial view was "they've loads of time, even if they don't actually have one sitting in the yard, they can get one transferred in easily enough". Apparently they can't be bothered trying to actually fulfil the order though, presumably because of the mentioned issues with stock.

As for repairing the ice, it's two seperate cars with two seperate issues. The a4 has the pas issues, the range rover has head gasket issues. I'll fix them because I like them. They're both cool old cars and my view has always been to have a couple interesting old motors alongside the new one. I could bin them both off and get another new car, but I don't really want to be forking out more money on finance.

I don't have a huge problem with stopping a few times. The enyaq would have been totally fine. The range rover runs on LPG so trips in that also already required a bit of thought and semi-regular stops as the LPG tank only lasts about 200 miles, and finding LPG these days is akin to finding the one working rapid charger 10 years ago...

The leaf will certainly be a little annoying, but we'd already planned to drive down over two days and split it up anyway because of the young children and the hotel in the middle has charging facilities, so it's probably 4 charges each day looking at route planner. And 2 extra stops to avoid spending 600quid seems suitably Scottish and perfectly acceptable 😂

·
Registered
674 Posts
A few years back I looked at the idea of going just EV and hiring an ICE with a tow bar for camping. The cost was crazy and the whole idea of having to go and collect it from somewhere miles away, and have to have everything booked way in advance so no last minute camping trips could be taken, plus the thought they would try and sting me for some damage that was already there. It was just not going to happen. Much less hassle to just own an old ICE (Honda CRV). I SORN it when not being used.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
718 Posts
You are one person over the limit as to what will be comfortable in the Leaf. Therefore, I think the earlier suggestion of hiring a small car and taking the Leaf as well is a reasonable idea.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,976 Posts
It's too far in an ICE to be comfortable let alone a BEV. This is the sort of journey trains were made for.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Apparently at some point once this pandemic is over Covid will be gone forever.
😂 and Santa will come down my chimney on December 24th

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,976 Posts
I thought you were a germaphobe?
Yep, I wouldn't really want to go to Legoland in the first place, TBH.

Generally, use them only if I HAVE to London which is also as dirty and crowded a place as a train, so putting up with one is much the same as the other. I tend to book first class some months ahead and they are as cheap, or often cheaper, than regular seats booked last minute.

Any trip, Edinburgh to Windsor is going to be a heck of a trek. I wish the OP well with that, with a family in tow.

From there I'd probably have flown to Billund and shown my family the original. Do the ferries still run from Newcastle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have just paid the £1500 for the Range Rover. 1st Class travel to Windsor and back in a vehicle that won't be around in ten years time. The kids will be able to tell their kids how it used to be.

Just think of the money you saved not doing Florida / Tenerife etc.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I would have just paid the £1500 for the Range Rover. 1st Class travel to Windsor and back in a vehicle that won't be around in ten years time. The kids will be able to tell their kids how it used to be.

Just think of the money you saved not doing Florida / Tenerife etc.
Yeah, i should have spent the summer fixing mine, rather than F-ing about trying to rectify the lockdown-mistake that was buying a broken Audi TT, before eventually realising it was properly knackered and scrapping it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That was the plan originally with the ICE car (an A4). I figured if i'm hiring something and paying nearly 500quid for the privilege, i might as well get something bigger.

Currently thinking of just taking the LEAF and putting up with the charging, because a few extra stops feels less annoying than forking over 600quid for a car thats still too small. Tonights job: see if we can actually fit all 5 of us in the LEAF in a not-silly manner.
Probably looking at

Abington
Gretna
Tebay
- Blackpool
Charnock Richard
Lymm
Keele
Hilton Park
Oxford/banbury(real stretch though from Hilton
Legoland

This is all based on my journeys in a Leaf 30 with 85-90% SoH battery and travelling with some kit in the car.
5 People up and with clobber for kids you'll be looking at similar at this time of year.

You may well be able to half those charging stops but IMO its better to stop more often and keep the battery topped up to 85-90% and then move on. If you have LeafSpy this will help as you can see the charge rate drop. It will also help keep the battery temp down if you dont push past 90% charge level on the rapids.
I reckon each stop would be 15mins and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,283 Posts
Probably looking at

Abington
Gretna
Tebay
- Blackpool
Charnock Richard
Lymm
Keele
Hilton Park
Oxford/banbury(real stretch though from Hilton
Legoland

This is all based on my journeys in a Leaf 30 with 85-90% SoH battery and travelling with some kit in the car.
5 People up and with clobber for kids you'll be looking at similar at this time of year.

You may well be able to half those charging stops but IMO its better to stop more often and keep the battery topped up to 85-90% and then move on. If you have LeafSpy this will help as you can see the charge rate drop. It will also help keep the battery temp down if you dont push past 90% charge level on the rapids.
I reckon each stop would be 15mins and you'll be ok.
If Abington is out of action or occupied / ICE'd there's Crawford a few miles further south.

At Carlisle there is a50kw BP rapid at the Toby Carvery just off the M6 (1/4mile) . You need to leave your reg no inside if it's open or text it to the number on the adjacent sign if its not. Handy for food and loos too.

The Pulse app worked well as usual - quick and easy provided you have at least £5 credit.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts