Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
... and don't even get me started on Sixt, utter charlatans.
Sixt tried to charge me £600 for a stone chip on a fog lamp when I returned a Mini, in 2018.

Never renting from them again. Funnily enough that little "trick" lost them £2k in future rentals as I was doing a lot of business miles and at the time I had to hire a car for each journey due to company policies on using personal vehicles.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Probably looking at

Abington
Gretna
Tebay
- Blackpool
Charnock Richard
Lymm
Keele
Hilton Park
Oxford/banbury(real stretch though from Hilton
Legoland

This is all based on my journeys in a Leaf 30 with 85-90% SoH battery and travelling with some kit in the car.
5 People up and with clobber for kids you'll be looking at similar at this time of year.

You may well be able to half those charging stops but IMO its better to stop more often and keep the battery topped up to 85-90% and then move on. If you have LeafSpy this will help as you can see the charge rate drop. It will also help keep the battery temp down if you dont push past 90% charge level on the rapids.
I reckon each stop would be 15mins and you'll be ok.
Thanks

ABRP Reconned this:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

Then:
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology

I'll need to have a fiddle though. I suspect the first leg is just CPS and then gridserve. Second leg might well be better served if i restrict ABRP to a few networks (Instavolt and osprey for instance) and see how that affects things.

Theres also buggerall charging at lego-land, so arriving on 10% is no use. I'll need to stop somewhere local and top up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks

ABRP Reconned this:

View attachment 150802

Then:
View attachment 150803

I'll need to have a fiddle though. I suspect the first leg is just CPS and then gridserve. Second leg might well be better served if i restrict ABRP to a few networks (Instavolt and osprey for instance) and see how that affects things.

Theres also buggerall charging at lego-land, so arriving on 10% is no use. I'll need to stop somewhere local and top up.

Instavolt Stroud Park is fantastic. How all charing points should be. 8 bays, next to a Costa but separate enough so it doesn't get ICE'd and contactless plug and play.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If Abington is out of action or occupied / ICE'd there's Crawford a few miles further south.

At Carlisle there is a50kw BP rapid at the Toby Carvery just off the M6 (1/4mile) . You need to leave your reg no inside if it's open or text it to the number on the adjacent sign if its not. Handy for food and loos too.

The Pulse app worked well as usual - quick and easy provided you have at least £5 credit.
If you stop at Carlisle in hours there is always nissan... It's free and if only for 15mina for a top up and leg stretch it's decent enough with friendly staff

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Thanks

ABRP Reconned this:

View attachment 150802

Then:
View attachment 150803

Windsor Lawn Tennis club could be useful then?
At least it's following along with my suggestions for charging. Also fiddle with speed and load as you won't be running light bit draughting will help loads.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,412 Posts
The Co-op at J18 is great but only two charge points - less distance from the MWay than the services just South. Beware that you'll heat up the battery considerably adding 15kWh at the full rate limited only by the car.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The Co-op at J18 is great but only two charge points - less distance from the MWay than the services just South. Beware that you'll heat up the battery considerably adding 15kWh at the full rate limited only by the car.
Good to know. First stop of the day though, so hopefully will just get things nice and warm rather than lava-spec.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Good to know. First stop of the day though, so hopefully will just get things nice and warm rather than lava-spec.
It's only when you get to the 4th long rapid on a day like today you'll get a hot battery on the 30kwh.
Sticking to just smaller charges more often helps and the first rapid of the day I found was a good way to improve efficiency as the warmer battery seemed to be better on runs.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thought i'd give a quick update...

We made it down without any misshaps, first long journey in the LEAF in nearly 2 years of ownership. Wasnt too bad, some weird quirks though.

So the good bits? No broken chargers, quite a few free stops, and no queuing.

Bad bits? We forgot the cot and remembered after 25miles requiring us to turn around and go back for it. Battery temperature!

I found the battery temp swings to be really quite odd. First day, car was fully charged overnight at home. Set off with 5 bars. After our misshap and return home etc, we ended up down in the low 20% range with 6 bars on the temp guage. Rapid charged from 20 to 80ish and that had it already up to 8 bars. What should have been our first scheduled stop but was now our second then put it at 10bars, and it sat there the rest of the trip. It was at 50c at the end of that rapid session, and just wouldnt shift itself after that. Livingston to abington was all ~50mph and it had worked its way down to 47c. Rapid charged at abington and that put it up to 53. Saw 11 bars at one point of the journey but even spending nearly 100miles sat drafting lorries, it just stubbornly sat in the high 40's or low 50's.

Quite puzzled how it can manage to get from 25 to 50 across two not-that-long rapid sessions, but then further rapid sessions didnt really make it any hotter...

The second day was quite different. I'd noticed we were regularly beating ABRP's estimate on Monday, and realised i'd left it set to 70mph, but was only doing 60 most of the time. So i replotted the second leg with it set to 60, and it suggested i only needed 3 stops, rather than the 5 i ended up doing on monday. So i did Preston -> Sandbach -> Chestnut Tree, Wednesbury -> Banbury instavolt hub -> Legoland.

Each hop was about 55miles, and we comfortably arrived with plenty charge left at each stop ~20-30% soc. The last leg was a little longer and we arrived at Legoland with 19%. Battery temps seemed much more in control too. Rising much more slowly at the charges and only hit 50c at the last charge at banbury. Very odd.

We also found ABRP really inconsistent. For instance if you plot a route from Preston to legoland, it will often suggest 4 or even 5 stops required. Except for some reason on monday night it suggested we'd do it in 3. It wouldnt even repeat that suggestion on tuesday morning, instead adding an extra stop at oxford for some reason. We did indeed manage it in 3. I've even tried plotting a route from here back to banbury, and it insists on a stop despite the fact that we made it yesterday using only 70%

Then to really confuse matters, this morning, we drove to watford. Car was down in the teens (no chargers at legoland :( ), so went to the local shell to charge up. ABRP reconned we'd need to charge to 38% and would arrive at watford with 5%. So instead i charged to 50% just to provide a buffer, expecting i'd get there over 20%, given we were routinely beating the ABRP estimates on the way down... Somehow we arrived with 9%.

As many have mentioned, "Range Anxiety" isnt actually a thing. Its 100% Charger anxiety. At various points your turning up at a charging location which has one chademo, and hoping it actually works. If the charging was more reliable, theres various points i'd have continued on to the next services and done an extra 20miles, but didnt risk it because i'd then be turning up with 10% battery or less and zero chance to make an alternative if its broken. Also, somewhat amusingly, we lucked out at every charging spot, getting on straight away without issues, the busiest charger was when we arrived at banbury and took the last remaining charger of the 8 at that location!

So yeah. We managed. But it did take a silly amount of planning, double checking ABRP against zapmap/plugshare (at one point it recommended a services, which on checking with zapmap we realised the chargers had been removed (i presume gridserve upgrade) and had not been replaced yet.) And lots of worrying about silly battery temps.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,412 Posts
You have also saved a fortune in hire costs and can treat the family to make up for the longer journey and preoccupied Father.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
well we spent the hire costs on a roof box, bars and new child seat 😂

But i figured that was a better spend, as at least i have something to show for it afterwards!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad to see everything went as planned, even if that meant a lot of planning.

I’m so glad that I, and soon you, can just ignore the battery temperature in the Enyaq (or any modern EV with active battery cooling).

I hope you get it soon, the wait for a new car drove me mad and mine was only about 12-14 weeks.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,046 Posts
Just a thought, 2 car seats in back, one in front, partner in the seat between the car seats. So long as its a sensible sized car its not a squeeze.
That holds a danger. We travelled (when my grandson was still a toddler) in our daughter's car with 4 adults and him. SWMBO got the seat by the grandson in his car seat. His car seat was on the left in the back. SWMBO insisted on not being by the window and so sat in the rear middle with me the rear right outer. She ended up with a trapped nerve in her leg because the child seat stuck in her leg. Which still troubles her nearly 18 years later.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Ahhhh roof bars!

I'd have gone for the towbar option and a baggie unit on the towbar instead as much much better when doing long range and weather is getting worse, well standard Scottish weather, in the rest of the UK lol

Glad you didn't find it too bad and odd your first day went up so quick. Maybe differing journey IE hills and headwind?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Yeah, but a towbar is significantly more effort and much less transferrable. The bars and box can easily be sold on, or swapped over to a new car.

Weather was actually pretty reasonable given its October. I imagine things would have been much worse if it was heavy rain.

Most annoying part of the return trip is no chargers at Legoland, so instead of leaving with 100% and a preheated car I'll be needing to find a rapid and thus will already have roasted the battery. I think I'll try and nip out tonight and charge it up.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
That holds a danger. We travelled (when my grandson was still a toddler) in our daughter's car with 4 adults and him. SWMBO got the seat by the grandson in his car seat. His car seat was on the left in the back. SWMBO insisted on not being by the window and so sat in the rear middle with me the rear right outer. She ended up with a trapped nerve in her leg because the child seat stuck in her leg. Which still troubles her nearly 18 years later.
Yeah. There's no room to sit between the seats in the rear of a leaf. The group0 rear facing seat does fit there though as its base is narrower and because it's rear facing the bulk of the seat is forward out the way. It would ve possible to swap one of the side seats for an adult, but it's a tight fit so not really super comfy. Easier with the three kids in the back as it means the two adults are in the front to assist with navigation etc and the kids are comfy as they're cocooned in their seats

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yeah, but a towbar is significantly more effort and much less transferrable. The bars and box can easily be sold on, or swapped over to a new car.

Weather was actually pretty reasonable given its October. I imagine things would have been much worse if it was heavy rain.

Most annoying part of the return trip is no chargers at Legoland, so instead of leaving with 100% and a preheated car I'll be needing to find a rapid and thus will already have roasted the battery. I think I'll try and nip out tonight and charge it up.
The only bit you can't move over stays on the car anyway and is hidden most of the time, but also allows for bikes and such to be mounted very easily and those bits can move between cars.
The big thing is it saves your back with all the stretching and faffing and hides the stuff in the draught of the car so much better efficiency too 😁

·
Registered
411 Posts
Windsor Lawn Tennis club could be useful then?
At least it's following along with my suggestions for charging. Also fiddle with speed and load as you won't be running light bit draughting will help loads.
There are a couple of 175kw chargers at the Shell station on Dedworth road (just off the big roundabout before you hit the dual carriageway towards the M4 J6 in windsor.

edit: ah looks like you found it

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
112 Posts
Makes Planes, Trains and Automobiles sound like a walk in the park. Enjoy your holiday Aragorn. (y)

When you get back - be sure to drop into Europcar and give 'em both barrels!

Luggage and bags Event Bag Job White-collar worker

61 - 80 of 84 Posts