Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE MY20.5
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up my new Kona Premium SE on Saturday, so far done 430 miles and getting an average of 4.6m/kWh and really loving it.

I wish there was a bit more of a clunk when closing the doors, the previous car, a diesel BMW was great for knowing the doors were closed, but had to stop a few times to close the door properly, but I'm getting better at it!

Is there any way to see how much energy was put in each time you charge the car? Have the Bluelink app, and that doesn't have it, and can't see it in the menus in the car?

Seriously enjoying the car, performance is great and already getting 300 mile range

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,644 Posts
Depends what are you looking for in the energy records?

Most DC chargers ("rapids" delivering high power) will report on their screen the running totals, e.g time and energy delivered.

AC smart chargers , such as what you can install at your home to charge, will have Apps with access to similar figures.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well I picked up my new Kona Premium SE on Saturday, so far done 430 miles and getting an average of 4.6m/kWh and really loving it.

I wish there was a bit more of a clunk when closing the doors, the previous car, a diesel BMW was great for knowing the doors were closed, but had to stop a few times to close the door properly, but I'm getting better at it!

Is there any way to see how much energy was put in each time you charge the car? Have the Bluelink app, and that doesn't have it, and can't see it in the menus in the car?

Seriously enjoying the car, performance is great and already getting 300 mile range
Just as an experiment, try closing the doors with the window slightly open - I found that the doors close more easily, indicating that it's the car internal cabin air pressure resisting the door being fully shut. For the rear hatch, some people have found that closure is better by slightly screwing in by hand the door stop cushion pads.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Congratulations. The range on the Kona is insane. If you check out ev datbase, it out ranges many of the more expensive ev's. As for energy put in, as Todor mentioned, your home charger should keep a record. Conversely, 1% of the 64kWh battery will be 0.64kWh and you can work it out from there. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations. The range on the Kona is insane. If you check out ev datbase, it out ranges many of the more expensive ev's. As for energy put in, as Todor mentioned, your home charger should keep a record. Conversely, 1% of the 64kWh battery will be 0.64kWh and you can work it out from there. :)
Thanks, it was the range that made me take the plunge, I live in a flat, so can't have a Home charge point, I got some free fuel at an Aldi yesterday (Love the idea of not having to pay), but didn't take enough notice of the before and after %, but will make a mental note for next time.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
571 Posts
Is there any way to see how much energy was put in each time you charge the car?
The car itself doesn't measure this parameter so you have to do it externally. When AC charging the on-board charger efficiency is 91% at best. Also note that when DC charging you're normally billed off the DC side of the public charger unit.
I had to reply on public chargers for a year, for the same reason and didn't find it too problematic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So to get max range; 1) Switch of Winter Mode 2) Set the car to Auto-recuperate - I find this does increase the range 3) Use the Driver Only setting if just the Driver in the Car. 4) Drive-in ECO mode - you can still beat a BMW or Porche away from the lights. 4) Set lights etc to auto - let the car do the work.5) Only charge using DC unless at home and only to 90% - the charge time and extra range to get to 100% are not worth the effort.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, if you need the range and are charging at home you can charge to 100%. Why wouldn't you?

10% gives you an extra 25-30 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good on you for gettig an EV. So many nay sayers use living in a flat for not getting an EV. Can't think why, I mean, it's not like they've got a petrol pump in their back garden, is it. :)
These 64kWh cars with a battery heater are a game changer, I cover about 20k a year and live in rural Wiltshire, the nearest charger is about 10 miles away from home, but the cars outside the flat, 92% charge and 272mile range showing on the GOM, that at least on the Hyundai/Kia vehicles seems to be less of a guess than other cars. It's going to take a bit more planning, but I'm already paying less than 3p a mile, and I guess, charging will only get easier in coming years.

I just think too many people look for a reason not to change, rather than the reason too change!

·
Registered
170 Posts
So to get max range; 1) Switch of Winter Mode 2) Set the car to Auto-recuperate - I find this does increase the range 3) Use the Driver Only setting if just the Driver in the Car. 4) Drive-in ECO mode - you can still beat a BMW or Porche away from the lights. 4) Set lights etc to auto - let the car do the work.5) Only charge using DC unless at home and only to 90% - the charge time and extra range to get to 100% are not worth the effort.
Winter mode has no effect on range, it won't heat the battery actively even in outside temperatures down to -20 C degrees. The only effect it has is that you get faster charging in cool temperatures. So you can leave it on year round without worries.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I collected my Kona earlier this week and loving it. I'm driving to my advanced driver training, in congested towns 30mph and faster 60mph roads and returning 5.5m per kwh. Last night I was getting 6.2m per kwh on my journey from work. Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just wondering, what’s the benefit from DC charging only? isn’t that rapid charging degrades the battery quicker?
Thx

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
just wondering, what’s the benefit from DC charging only? isn’t that rapid charging degrades the battery quicker?
Thx
I think they're trying to say use DC rapid charging when away from home, don't use AC public charging.

That's wrong of course: if you're staying somewhere overnight you want to plug in and forget so AC is preferable. DC rapid charging if you're staying overnight in a hotel means would be a real pain if you have to nip out half way through dinner to move the car.

It is good advice that mid journey you only use DC charging as AC charging then is pretty much a waste of time. Even then there may be exceptions.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thx
No point in using ‘winter mode’ unless you are doing long journeys and it is likely to be of limited use in an average UK winter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think they're trying to say use DC rapid charging when away from home, don't use AC public charging.

That's wrong of course: if you're staying somewhere overnight you want to plug in and forget so AC is preferable. DC rapid charging if you're staying overnight in a hotel means would be a real pain if you have to nip out half way through dinner to move the car.

It is good advice that mid journey you only use DC charging as AC charging then is pretty much a waste of time. Even then there may be exceptions.
I see, that makes sense, correct me if I’m wrong, I think that AC is kinder to the batteries compared DC rapid charging!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts