Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've picked up the i3 REX for a long weekend test drive. Disappointingly it doesn't have the rapid charge facility :(

First impressions are good, love the large media display and the iDrive control. The aggressive region will take some acclimatisation but I like it.

Not sure about the reclaimed dash materials and rearward vision internally is very poor. Looking forward to putting some miles on and see how I get on with it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
They do 4 day tests now?
I'd consider it but my wife would go berserk if she thought I was even thinking about considering the possibility of planning my next car...

Reactions: Jimbo

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do if you pester ;) and having read the manual I see the rear head restraints can be folded back, that may improve rear visibility.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
They do 4 day tests now?
I'd consider it but my wife would go berserk if she thought I was even thinking about considering the possibility of planning my next car...
Remember..."Failing to plan, is planning to fail..." ;)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I've driven that car, and so have 30odd of my colleagues. Worked fine when we had it ;-)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Did I say anything was broke? o_O But that'll explain why it's so filthy :p
Sorry about the filth - we had a special stage worked out in Danson Park. Good helmet room BTW.

Reactions: cjm_2013

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far so good. Folding the rear head restraints solves the rearward vision problem. It's lovely to drive, the acceleration is impressive and it seems to have plenty of grip despite the narrow tyres.

It's a shame the climate control doesn't make use of the MFD. A missed opportunity? Also the nasty little rubber cap on the charge socket is a pain in the bum, cheap and nasty. They really need to improve that, Nissan's solution is much tidier. The front boot (froot) is tiny and not much use for anything but charge leads. Still, that keeps them out of the tiny bootspace.

Surprised to find the rear passenger windows don't open or am I missing something? Also, the stereo staying on until you exit and lock the car isn't ideal, can this be re-configured?

Is there any way to activate unlock without having to press the remote? I've looked at the manual but for many functions it's not very helpful. If I'm a techie and find it hard to fathom some of the manuals explanations then gawd help joe public!

All of these are minor niggles, I really like it and will need to do some sums now to work out what features I can cram into my budget! The test car has the Lodge interior which I'm not so impressed by. The wood on the dash isn't to my taste and the trim accents look like cheap vinyl in some places. The nicest for me would be the Suite but a £2k hit would mean forgoing some other options so it may have to be Loft for me.

Just need to fathom all the various packs, my wish list would be:

Solar Orange
19" Turbine Wheels
Loft Interior
Auxiliary heating
Pro Nav
Park Assist
Winter Package
Rapid Charge prep

Back to the dealer tomorrow to see how many kidneys I need to sell to lease that spec :p

·
Registered
731 Posts
All modern Bmw's keep the stereo on till you lock it, I find that odd too

If you want to lock/unlock the car from the door handle you have to tick another box comfort access at around £300

Have you had a look at the standard interior? I thought that was fine if you didn't want to pay the 2k for leather/suite

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Can you drive it without the stereo on?

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BMW have generously included an On/Off button as standard :D

Also not convinced by the Drive/Neutral/Reverse selector. It's not in the best location, seems far too big for what it does and it's invariably obscured by the spokes of the steering wheel when you want to switch on. A small selector in front of the iDrive controls would have been better.

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good question, not sure what's fitted on this but I can't justify £710 for LEDs regardless, They really should be standard.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good question, not sure what's fitted on this but I can't justify £710 for LEDs regardless, They really should be standard.
But you've justified £500 for Loft - what does that give you - a white steering wheel and a reflective dash (if the Zoe complaints are anything to go by) ;)

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True! And the more I look at other examples the more I think I'd be happier with the darker standard trim. The lighter one on this demo is already looking a bit tired. Ok so edited spec is now:

Solar Orange
19" Turbine Wheels
Standard Interior
Auxiliary heating
Media Package
Park Assist
Winter Package
Rapid Charge prep
LED Headlights

Still not entirely clear on what the various Bluetooth options give. All I need is BT handsfree BT media connectivity so I can stream podcasts etc.

·
Registered
731 Posts
£710 for LED headlights!!!! Do you drive down enough dark lanes to justify that? I was told the pro nav was worth the money where as the extended bluettooth/phone was not. What does the media pack give you?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts