Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just plugged in the Volt (Ampera) and there was a pop and some sparks behind the charge port door. The fuse popped on the EVSE so i replaced the fuse and the EVSE powered up again but when i connected it to the car it popped and sparked again, this time taking out the house electric. Anyone else had this happen? What was the cause? Faulty EVSE or Car? Im thinking this looks like a car issue.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
@(redacted) sounds like a issue at the car end... clearly the car and EVSE are communicating well enough for power to be enabled so that implies ground and pilot are working as expected... any foreign bodies in the J1772 connectors or excess moisture?

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing i can see. The car charged fine earlier today.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Straight to the dealer - the more you try things, the more you'll damage :( Good luck!

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Its crap. Ive noticed lots of things that seem crappy on this car. I also have water in my DRL lights and Chevrolet want me to take the car to Edinburgh, Wantage or Peterborough (4 hours away 189 miles) this takes the P1SS. The EVSE has blown up too and yes as you all do i also have the sticky charge port door. Turning into a lemon car fast. I guess thats American't build quality for you.

Chevrolet aren't even prepared to arrange a collect and return service.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Hmm, simple rule for anything electrical. If you plug something in and there is crackling, popping, sparks and the fuse blows... don't just replace the fuse and try again - get someone qualified to check it! I'm not just trying to be funny - people die trying to figure out what is wrong with electrical equipment.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
... particularly at mains voltages...

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Hmm, simple rule for anything electrical. If you plug something in and there is crackling, popping, sparks and the fuse blows... don't just replace the fuse and try again - get someone qualified to check it! I'm not just trying to be funny - people die trying to figure out what is wrong with electrical equipment.
Learned this the hard way with a bench power supply. Replaced a fuse, started the unit up with the case off, the fuse didn't blow but a (pretty thick) track did on the board, giving me a blind spot that lasted an hour or so and releasing rather a lot of smoke....

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Chevrolets advice is to plug it into a public charge point to see if its the car or the EVSE. Sorry guys but i have to try that before driving 180+ miles. Ill just test the little 32A charger.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
If you're going to plug the car and the EVSE into the public charge point, how will that establish if it's the car or the EVSE?
I guess he means connect using a type2-type1 lead rather than using his brick at home...? I think quite a few Volt/Ampera owners only ever use the brick!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
There's no way it can be the wall charger as all it does is supply 240V (or not, depending on what the car asks for). It's 100% definitely the car.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
There's no way it can be the wall charger as all it does is supply 240V (or not, depending on what the car asks for). It's 100% definitely the car.
The brick also tells the car how much power is available... what happens if the brick tells the car it can take 60A (due to a fault)?

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
The brick also tells the car how much power is available... what happens if the brick tells the car it can take 60A (due to a fault)?
Being a Volt with 16A charger, not much!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The car cannot take more than 16A, or rather, if it tries, then it's faulty. At the end of the day all the non-car bits are simply to connect 240V mains to the car. If, when connected, it blows fuses and sparks then the car is faulty...

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
The car cannot take more than 16A, or rather, if it tries, then it's faulty. At the end of the day all the non-car bits are simply to connect 240V mains to the car. If, when connected, it blows fuses and sparks then the car is faulty...
Yeah, sure, not the same symptoms but it would be bad!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts