Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have recently purchased a Outlander PHEV 2016 with only 30.600 miles on the clock and I had nothing but disappointing experience with this car so far.
Been to the official Mitsubishi garage twice already and they seem like don't have a clue what they doing. Absolutely outrageous service . All they did is put 300 plus miles on the clock and fed me bunch of lies about some algorithm remembering previous owners driving habits and told me that 19 miles on range is ok...... Guys can you please help and tell me how to get this car to promised 28 miles range ? Do I need to do any of those battery reset procedures ? Or is my car faulty ? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
What they told you is at least partially true: the indicated EV range will depend on how it was previously driven including terrain, road type, weather, temperature etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Freddy. I appreciate your comment but is there a way of like factory reset function to erase the existing data ? Also the fact that the vehicle is loosing power overnight after a full charge doesn't seem right does it ? Do you have similar problems with your Outlander ? Cheers !

·
Registered
475 Posts
You might be able to get close to the range you are hoping for in summer, but just now, especially if you use the heater at all, you will get much lower range.

The Guess-O-Meter fluctuates wildly depending on how gentle (or not) you drive - this directly affects the car’s calculation on possible range.

I’ve got a MY19 4HS and have had as little as 12 miles from a charge in winter with lots of hills and the heater turned up high, and managed over 40 miles in summer with a very gentle right foot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi SHL and thanks for the response. Mine doesn't even have the heating element. It's the gx3 I have and even without the lights or air con it still showing 18 -19 on full charge. Do you think it's normal ? Do you guys have same problems ? Does this car is even capable of delivering the milage they claim ? Cheers !

·
Registered
496 Posts
Where are you @Metalal? If the temperature is 20 degC and you drive it very gently, you might get 28 miles. Otherwise, at this time of year, you will probably get only 20 or so. What actual mileage are you getting on EV? Don't pay too much attention to me guessometer - it is not very accurate.... But yes at this time of year I get around 20 miles on the GOM (MY14 with about 50K miles)

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
132 Posts
bunch of lies about some algorithm remembering previous owners driving habits and told me that 19 miles on range is ok
Previous driver's habits are only to estimate the remaining range based on the past 25km of driving so you're well past that.

Do I need to do any of those battery reset procedures ? Or is my car faulty ?
You may benefit from a battery reset, some do, some don't.
Your car is not faulty, however the battery may have degraded significantly. Mine was replaced under warranty, however I am in Australia and your situation might be different.

The best way to ascertain the health (SOH) of the battery is to use an OBD adapter and App such as EvBatMon which will give you a SOH/PMC % which indicates how much of the capacity is still in the battery vs when it was brand new in the factory. Here in Australia, a SOH of < 80% gets you a new battery under warranty, your situation might be different.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi jdsx hi Jeremy .
I am in South Wales. Terrain is mixed a bit as you can imagine. And I get around 17 to 19 depending on driving style and speed . And I do have a watchdog app Jeremy but my current odb 2 reader doesn't work with the app so I need to get a different one...
Does my head in...... Useless car.... Absolutely devastated ..... Should have never considered this piece of crap.
But now I am stuck with it for 5 years....... Lol :)
What a bummer !!!!
Time to hack the fuck out of it I guess and install different battery ...... Lol
Can it be done guys ?? I am sure it can it's just the matter of cost I guess......
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm interested if you ever took an ICE back because you didn't get the MPG promised in the adverts. The dealers didn't lie - they told you the truth. Your car is doing exactly the same as everyone else's. Did you do any research before buying a PHEV?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I’m not sure what you expected but your range will increase in summer. If your driving habits don’t require you to make constant long range journeys then you may still find you use the IVE far less meaning much cheaper fuel
costs for the size of vehicle. I have very moved usage - some weeks I’m doing 200 miles+ a day with no opportunity to charge after leaving home fully charged, and other weeks where I travel mostly in EV mode. After 25k miles I’ve averaged 60mpg, compared to 33mpg in the similarly sized diesel SUV my PHEV replaced. Taking into account my home electricity costs for charging I’m still saving a significant amount in fuel costs. If you need the size of the PHEV and want an EV then you have little choice unless you can afford a Tesla Model X.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Previous driver's habits are only to estimate the remaining range based on the past 25km of driving so you're well past that.

You may benefit from a battery reset, some do, some don't.
Your car is not faulty, however the battery may have degraded significantly. Mine was replaced under warranty, however I am in Australia and your situation might be different.

The best way to ascertain the health (SOH) of the battery is to use an OBD adapter and App such as EvBatMon which will give you a SOH/PMC % which indicates how much of the capacity is still in the battery vs when it was brand new in the factory. Here in Australia, a SOH of < 80% gets you a new battery under warranty, your situation might be different.
Jeremy how many amp hours was your battery showing when they decided to replace the battery ? Mine is apparently 34.7 and that's a lot down from 40amps with only 30.000 miles on it....... shocking ....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help guys. I didn't realize that the range was so dependent on so many different factors... I guess I'll stick to it for some time and save up for Tesla .

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It's a very heavy car so mpg and miles per kWh will be significantly reduced on hills. Main aim of this car was to get reduced benefit in kind for company car drivers, 2nd hand private owners no such advantage!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm interested if you ever took an ICE back because you didn't get the MPG promised in the adverts. The dealers didn't lie - they told you the truth. Your car is doing exactly the same as everyone else's. Did you do any research before buying a PHEV?
I didn't do I proper research I must admit.
I went for the super positive advertising and got fulled by the super efficient numbers....
My bad I guess...

·
richi.uk
237 Posts
Having said all that, quite often the battery management unit gets confused and makes pessimistic estimates of the battery health. If you did want to try to "reset" it, the proper 5-step process is in section A.4 of the FAQ: richi.uk/phevfaq

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having said all that, quite often the battery management unit gets confused and makes pessimistic estimates of the battery health. If you did want to try to "reset" it, the proper 5-step process is in section A.4 of the FAQ: richi.uk/phevfaq
Thanks Richi !
Thanks a lot Richi ! Very impressed with your site and all the super helpful info !
I shall try some of the tips and tricks to see if I can get some more from this car.
I want to love this car really but last few weeks I hated it due to the disappointment or range. . . But now the more I read the more I get use to the feeling that this is just the way those PHEVs are...
Still like some guys quote here you can save up on fuel if charged every night and used sensible.
Thanks very much again.

·
richi.uk
237 Posts
You're welcome. But "shoulders of giants" and all that.

The thing is, you can't change the laws of physics. It's a two-tonne, large-fronted vehicle with a relatively small battery. The quoted EV range and MPG aren't "lies" but the standard NEDC driving cycle was deeply flawed (the new WLTP cycle is better, but anything that narrows it down to a single number is going to be rubbish).

As with "full" EVs, hills are a range killer. Yes, you can regen on the way down, but as a rule of thumb, you're only going to recoup about 50% of the energy you've spent going up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Richie do I need the mut 3 device and software for those procedures ? Can I do anything on my own ? Can't afford the mut 3 unit it's like £1600 used in UK. Shocking.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts