Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Looks like the low speed small cars that teenagers are allowed to drive in France. Almost looks as if it could be driven from either end! Be neat for some if it could - my wife still drives around car parks looking for a space where she can go in and out without needing to reverse . . .

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Blo0dy horrible - however it certainly fits a certain need. Weren’t these used 20 years ago as invalid carriages

View attachment 147317

Very similar

A lot longer than 20 years ago. My father had an Invacar just like the 1971/1972 one above. IIRC he got his around 1968, and he became unable to use it by around 1970 (crashed it into a tree - it completely disintegrated), and died in 1972. I drove it once. Terrifying thing to drive, with very sensitive tiller steering and far too many functions controlled with one hand (tiller pushed fore and aft for steering, twist grip throttle, tiller pushed down for braking and a motorcycle type clutch lever. Damned thing was a death trap, and thankfully Stirling Moss started a campaign to try and get them banned, after he got one when recovering from a serious accident.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Almost looks as if it could be driven from either end!
Clever cost saving design to save on tooling costs. The doors on each side are identical (one hinges forwards, the other backwards), and the front and rear panels are identical too.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,129 Posts
My father had an Invacar just like the 1971/1972 one above.
Strange that AC built their Cobra as the same time as that. Why the single front wheel version of the tricycle (like Reliant) rather than the single rear wheel version like Morgan and even their original Sociable remains a mystery. Fortunately the Motability scheme killed the market before the Government withdrew them in 2003.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Strange that AC built their Cobra as the same time as that. Why the single front wheel version of the tricycle (like Reliant) rather than the single rear wheel version like Morgan and even their original Sociable remains a mystery. Fortunately the Motability scheme killed the market before the Government withdrew them in 2003.

The design was very heavily focussed on a wheelchair user being able to get in and out unassisted and stow their folded chair alongside. This pretty much dictated the shape, and, I believe, the front wheel tricycle design, as the latter made tiller steering a lot simpler. The driver's seat base was on sliding rails, so it could project outside the car for easier transfer from a wheelchair (with one arm of it removed), the sliding door enabled a wheelchair use to open it easily, as well as making access simpler and the tiller for steering, braking etc meant that the occupant could slide back in on the seat, underneath the tiller, with no obstructions.

The main problem with the thing was that it was just inherently unsafe, and not just because of the single front wheel (although that didn't help). When I drove my father's, I found the steering to be extremely sensitive (think motorcycle sensitive) and very prone to unintentional steering input when braking (pushing down on the tiller) or using the fairly heavy cable clutch lever. Even the twist grip throttle seemed awkward, and not helped by the vagaries of the power curve of the 200cc, single cylinder, Sachs two stroke engine. There was no reverse gear, either. It had a Dynastart, so the same gears were used for reverse as forward. To reverse you had to turn the ignition switch off, push down on the key to operate a switch reverse the Dynastart windings and second magneto coil, then restart the engine, with the engine now running backwards. This resulted in the four forward gears now being reverse gears. I did try and get it into fourth going backwards once, but bottled it, as it was just too scary.

When my father crashed (into the only tree for miles around) the steel box frame chassis held up, but the body just completely fragmented. Apparently he was sat on the flat chassis, surrounded by bits of blue fibreglass all around, with his wheelchair having been thrown some distance away. The ambulance crew said later they had to stop themselves laughing, as it was such a hilarious sight. Luckily he wasn't badly hurt, just minor cuts and bruises, and he saw the funny side of it, too (as did lots of people - the tree he hit was in the middle of a common - he'd steered a fair way off the road when he lost control).

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,559 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The one in that video looks to be a slightly different design to the one my father had. His had an asymmetric, one hand operation, tiller version, with a manual clutch and gearbox. The gearbox was like a motorcycle one, with a lever in the side console that just moved forward and aft, much the same as a motorcycle gear pedal. The ignition switch, choke and light switches were also on the side console, IIRC. I'm pretty sure his also only had one door, as the side console would have been in the way had there been another one.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You’re missing an obvious difference.

Were these actually sold for ‘invalids’?
The Ami isn't capable of 30mph, so it might as well be a disability aid if sold.in the UM, given that it would need an amber light on a UK NSL dual carriageway and would be prohibited on the motorway.

·
3,559 Posts

·
3,559 Posts
I think I’d rather 14 year olds with provisional licenses being able to drive these, rather than use e-scooters in the current unregulated way. In France, they’re available from €20 a month, so they are quite accessible.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,694 Posts
Every time I see that AMI, my mind keeps telling me that it is a Trabant from Berlin Wall era, East Germany, just thought I would mention that :geek: - well same colour anyway.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I think I’d rather 14 year olds with provisional licenses being able to drive these, rather than use e-scooters in the current unregulated way. In France, they’re available from €20 a month, so they are quite accessible.
I'd rather not see either on the pavement!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts