Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Every time I see that AMI, my mind keeps telling me that it is a Trabant from Berlin Wall era, East Germany, just thought I would mention that :geek: - well same colour anyway.

But hopefully not made of compressed cotton waste, which is essentially what the Trabant was made from. Might (possibly) have been environmentally OK, but not exactly crash resistant, I suspect.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,694 Posts
The AMI is not out there on it's own, there are more out there but some are more elegant, perhaps it's more about getting the job done than "aesthetics"

Top 10 Mini EVs and Mini Electric Cars to Hit the Highways with

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,129 Posts
I found the steering to be extremely sensitive (think motorcycle sensitive) and very prone to unintentional steering input when braking (pushing down on the tiller) or using the fairly heavy cable clutch lever.
Sounds like the worst of post-War design mixed with the shortcomings of the helicopter collective. Having spent many happy hours driving Edwardian tiller controlled Lanchesters (with four wheels and disc brakes) at speeds up to 60MPH with similar controls I don't think that the controls are fundamentally bad but clearly the execution of them in the Invacar was.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well you could always try one of these - No licence required, no road tax, 5 miles for 1p, Starts at the touch of a button, and ideal if you are thinking of committing suicide.

What is this wonder vehicle?:-

John

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
914 Posts
The AMI is not out there on it's own, there are more out there but some are more elegant, perhaps it's more about getting the job done than "aesthetics"
I really like the aesthetic. If I lived somewhere where this was a practical option, I’d love one.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,115 Posts
Looks like the low speed small cars that teenagers are allowed to drive in France. Almost looks as if it could be driven from either end! Be neat for some if it could - my wife still drives around car parks looking for a space where she can go in and out without needing to reverse . . .
The front and rear are actually the same body parts, to keep the costs down.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The one in that video looks to be a slightly different design to the one my father had. His had an asymmetric, one hand operation, tiller version, with a manual clutch and gearbox. The gearbox was like a motorcycle one, with a lever in the side console that just moved forward and aft, much the same as a motorcycle gear pedal. The ignition switch, choke and light switches were also on the side console, IIRC. I'm pretty sure his also only had one door, as the side console would have been in the way had there been another one.
There were various incremental changes and as with many low production volume cars (if you can even count them as cars) one of them would've had a different layout to the next. Tiller, handlebars and even a steering wheel were options, some more conveniently had the controls for the wipers/lights etc in front of your left hand so you could keep your right hand for the throttle. Amazingly they carried on until 2003! After that they were all recalled for safety reasons, surviving ones can be registered as trikes and are even motorway legal if you're brave enough

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,129 Posts
Might (possibly) have been environmentally OK, but not exactly crash resistant, I suspect.
You can probably say the same about the Ami. The quadricycle legislation needs tightening up on to avoid miss-selling in the future so that people understand that these are not "safe" like conventional car..

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
You can probably say the same about the Ami. The quadricycle legislation needs tightening up on to avoid miss-selling in the future so that people understand that these are not "safe" like conventional car..

I fixed a Reva G-Wiz years ago (battery pack conversion) and can't help but agree. Having an accident in one of those would have far more serious consequences than for any proper car, as it had zero safety features, other than seat belts.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
397 Posts
I'd buy one of those just to put on my drive to cheer me up every morning.
Will it make it to the UK though??
ive asked them that question... my guess would be at least 2-3 years time at earliest.
Its not on general sale yet, then they need to justify RHD verision.
However there is also this version from the same initial design team, who then left.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
you mean like all cars from the 70s and before!!!!

The G-Wiz I fixed was a couple of years old at the time, built around 2004 I think. It was more akin to the level of safety in light cars from the 1920s and 30's. Zero crashworthiness that I could see, and at least we'd started thinking about making cars more crashworthy by the 1970's, even if it wasn't great by modern standards. IIRC, we started to mandate some crashworthiness features, like collapsible steering columns, back around the 1960's.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts