Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,031 Posts
Back in the 60's I had a Heinkle bubble car.

It was actually quite crash resistant. The bubble is in effect a huge tubular steel roll cage with body panel infills. I turned it over a couple of times with the only real damage being smashed side indicators. And a quite heavy frontal impact where an idiot in front missed his turning - slapped on and went into reverse - just as I approached around the corner to meet a car reversing towards me. The impact was not catastrophic at all as the front door frame is such a heavy duty tubular frame that the only effect was that the convex front door turned into a concave one. And as the car's mass was that of a bicycle it just bounced backwards. And I bent the flimsy steering wheel with my chest.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Back in the 60's I had a Heinkle bubble car.

View attachment 147374

It was actually quite crash resistant. The bubble is in effect a huge tubular steel roll cage with body panel infills. I turned it over a couple of times with the only real damage being smashed side indicators. And a quite heavy frontal impact where an idiot in front missed his turning - slapped on and went into reverse - just as I approached around the corner to meet a car reversing towards me. The impact was not catastrophic at all as the front door frame is such a heavy duty tubular frame that the only effect was that the convex front door turned into a concave one. And as the car's mass was that of a bicycle it just bounced backwards. And I bent the flimsy steering wheel with my chest.

I always wanted the Messerschmitt, but my first car was a bit bigger, but still a three wheeler, a Nobel 200. had the advantage that you could just about squeeze two extra people on to the the small bench behind the front seats, great for taking girls home from the youth club. The performance four up, in a car with a single cylinder 200cc two stroke engine, wasn't exactly great, though. I got hold of some Jaguar silver blue metallic paint and resprayed it, as the original blue and white finishe was pretty rough by the time I got the car. IIRC it was made around 1959, and I bought it for about £30 in 1968.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
314 Posts
I had a BMW Isetta, worst vehicle I've ever owned, came to a sad end in the snow after the nearside chassis was reprofiled by a lampost. Thing used to eat exhaust valves on a regular basis.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
376 Posts
I had a BMW Isetta, worst vehicle I've ever owned, came to a sad end in the snow after the nearside chassis was reprofiled by a lampost. Thing used to eat exhaust valves on a regular basis.
so you won’t be a fan of the microlino then lol

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I'd buy one of those just to put on my drive to cheer me up every morning.
Will it make it to the UK though??
I think they're lease only in France.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
41 - 47 of 47 Posts