Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 26 Posts

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last two nights we've been away from home so not plugging in the car.

Monday night parked up with 50% SOC, in the morning it was down to 45% - followed by an option to 'update' the software even though the car had no access to Wifi.

Last night parked up with 30% SOC - turned off 'always on', passive entry, turned on energy save, in the morning 29%.

So clearly when you 'turn off' some of the options the vampire drain drops dramatically, which makes wonder what on earth the car is doing to use so much energy in 'normal' mode. Is it something to do with it constantly reporting back to base , and software updates etc been pushed??

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10 miles range (5% of 200) lost just because you parked the car for two days is pretty bad really. That's around 3.5kWh ?
That was over one night, so 10 hrs not 2 days!!

The strange thing is when you turn off the various bits the vampire drain really does drop ALOT. Temperature also seems to have some effect, back in the summer I left a 90D X at Heathrow for 10 days, turned off all the bits didn't check the app, it only lost 2% in that time period. Ideally yes you want to see 0% loss in 10 days, but 2% loss over 10 days is light years away from 5% in 10 hrs!!!

Just trying to understand what on earth is using up all the power, surely the 4G/data connection cannot be that active....that must be ALOT of data Tesla is sending/receiving from the cars to increase energy drain from a few % over a few days to 5% overnight.

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
20% when parked up last night at 530pm, 20% this morning at 8am, but dropped quickly to 19%. Arrived home with 11% tonight, in theroy enough charge to make it to the weekend but Im a chicken so plugged in just now.

Might actually leave the car in the setting as it is, might turn on passive entry but 1% vampire drain overnight seems much better than 5%. Hardly any difference in start up speed. I do wonder how much juice the 4G/LTE connection is using when plugged in charging.

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am pretty sure the vast majority of Vampire drain is the car calling back to base and uploading/downloding data.

I turned everything back on at the weekend expect for the 'Data sharing' option. Wife parked up on Saturday night with 47%, -1/0 overnight, next day 47% still!! Tesla must be doing some serious data gathering from the fleet to be consuming 4-5% a night from the LTE/3G data link.

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you just turn on 'always connected', or did you switch it to "energy saving = off"?
Energy saving off, always connected NOT ticked. But there is a separate option called 'Data sharing' I unticked consent for Tesla to access data, which seemed to drop vampire drain to below 1% a night.

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So left all options on last night, energy saving off, always connected ticked, passive entry on, only thing disabled was 'data sharing' with Tesla.

Vampire drain was at most 0.9%, seems like a huge amount of reported energy usage by the car is nothing to do with electronics and more to do with Tesla hoarding data, which is understandable.

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another factor in comparisons between your car and older ones is that yours is presumably new enough to have the new 12V output from the main battery pack, such that vampire loss doesn't cause wear on the 12V battery; possibly that modification also makes it more efficient overall so that the 'base level' of vampire drain in your car is less than older cars.
What am interested in the minimal energy loss. I've seen drops in 4-5% overnight before with everything turned on.

Will have a play with the setting some more, but <1% overnight with everything ticked expect for 'data sharing' is no that bad vampire drain.

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Car left for a total of 8 days (about 188hrs) with everything turned off.

SOC dropped from 65% to 59%. Assuming 72kWh usable

Worst case would be 65.4% down to 58.5% - 7% or about 5kWh consumed in 8 days.

Best case would be 64.5% down to 59.4% - 5% or about 3.6kWh consumed in 7 days.

Either way, the vampire drain seems to be not too massive when idle. Ideally it would be 0% loss, but given the fact the car seems 'always' online regardless of what option you go for, the energy use isn't horrific.

· Banned
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's not a great idea to let it drop so low if you can help it, anyway. Better for the long-term health of Li-ion batteries to charge whenever possible and not let it drop below ~20% for significant periods!
Normally charge doesn't drop below 50% before been plugged in. Had a few days without access to easy home charging so thought I see just how low I dare leave it.

But now have E7 meter finally installed at home, 6 days in our day/night split is 40/166kWh.....currently working out at 3p per mile in fuel :).

1 - 10 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.