Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did 2 hours at my lad's primary school today, 2 hour long sessions to Year 4s, half on space, half on Electric Cars.

It was part of the school's "Science Week" where parents with Scientific backgrounds come in to talk about how they got started and how they made choices to get to what they do today.

Man alive, the kids were really clued up and asked great questions on both subjects. For the Electric Car section we gathered around the iOn I'd taken in and it was just like being in a room full of uninitiated adults except for the straining to get their hands as high as possible and the "me, me" exhortations at the next question.

- How far can it go?
- How long does it take to charge?
- Are you allowed to have one? (bless)
- How much electricity does it use?
- How much does it cost?
- Is it like a normal car on the inside?
- Is it heavier or lighter than a normal car?

The answer to that last question provided the day's highlight, when I got a little brave and threw in Carbon Fibre as a way to keep weight down, and one little lad piped up "What about Carbotanium? It's a mix of Carbon and Titanium. I think only 5 cars have ever been made out of it because it's so expensive". I was stunned. When I was 8 I knew the names, diameters and distances of all (9!) planets in the Solar System, but this kid was something else. On the walk back to the classroom I asked him what he wanted to be - "engineer". I told him to look up Coventry University if he wanted to be in Cars in 15 years time. Hard to be cynical in the face of such wonder...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I could have stayed all afternoon rather than head back to the office. At one point I asked "who likes hard sums?" as a segue into how important Maths is in Science and, no kidding, two thirds of both classes put their hands up (along with me, obvs). You get into a mindset around modern schooling, and then you're pwned when you get up close and personal. Not a private school, or church-affiliated - just a decent Greater London primary with dedicated staff and too few resources, like schools across the length and breadth. Food for the soul, and no mistake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts