Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I volunteered free use of one of our charge points to a local group several years ago, but as yet no one has ever come to use it, although I did get to meet quite a few local EV owners, who contacted me, probably just because EVs were a bit of a novelty back then. I still belong to a pretty well organised local group, that is now linked to the Salisbury Transition City project: Home | Salisbury Transition City | Sustainable and Eco Friendly Town

The main issue is that, although this seems like a good idea, in reality it doesn't really work very well, now, given that the ranges of even some of the cheapest EVs has improved. Part of the problem is that a 7 kW charge point only adds range at a pretty slow rate, so isn't much help to those on a longer trip, part of the problem is that people that own EVs tend to have home charging facilities, so don't need to charge close to home, and part of the problem is that areas where people cannot charge at home tend to be some way away from anyone that may have off-street parking with a charge point. The only time my charge point got used was when a local council chap used to visit, back when we were building the house. He had a Leaf, one of the very early ones, and was always grateful for even a tiny bit of charge, as his car's range wasn't great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.