Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Newbie in the ev world , wondering if someone can answer this question..

Kangoo (22kw) can only charge at 3.7kw max, from what I understand. I have noticed a lot of public chargers like the supermarket ones are 7kw type 2, does this mean my Kangoo will not accept a charge from them? Or will it charge but be capped at 3.7? Currently I do not have a charge lead or charge point and am wondering if there is any point in getting one if it wont charge on 7kw stations,

Many thanks in advance..

·
Registered
597 Posts
As Thomas said, it will only charge at ~3kW (I did think it was 3.6kW but I could be mistaken) - you can plug into any 3kW, 7kW or 22kW charging post and the van will only take it's ~3kW. You can even plug into a 50kW rapid but I'd strongly advise against it as it'll prevent cars that need rapid charging from using the charger, and unless it's a free rapid it'll probably be prohibitively expensive.

I take it you're currently charging from the 3-pin 'Granny' charger? If so, you'll find a proper wall charger will be faster as the 'Granny' charger only charges at 2.3kW

·
Banned
350 Posts
Well no they said they had no charge lead - I would say a granny would be fine - but yes @Coop69coop plug it in at the supermarket. Just make sure if it's a type 1 connector on the van that you lock it in with a padlock - if it's type 2 then cool it auto locks on the car

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,613 Posts
As Thomas said, it will only charge at ~3kW (I did think it was 3.6kW but I could be mistaken)
By the specifications, it should be 3.6kW (3.68kw technically; 230V * 16A); but there will be charging overheads and losses, as well as variance on the supply voltage, so it's likely to be more like 3-3.3kW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for all the answers guys. I have had the van a few months now so have worked out most things!

I am loving it tbh. Its a facelift model so its type 2 connector, and I am regularly charging at my local supermarket. There is no battery lease eithet which is sweet, it has SOH 100% and its done 63k miles.

Easy 50 miles plus range. I have made the decision to not get a charge point installed at home, I would only be getting one kw more than on the Granny and I believe that the installers are making a lot of money out of the government grant and I dont want to line their pockets further with my cash! I do 90% of my charging at work anyway , again on the granny.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
Coop69coop

Can I ask if you are getting 50 miles plus throughout the year?
Is there a big difference in Winter/Summer range for you?

Thanks
I've just purchased a 33kw kangoo and I'm getting aprox 130-135 miles out of a full charge. I have a 7kw charger and it takes just over 5 hours to fully charge.
Darren

·
Registered
18 Posts
Many thanks.
I have just joined the EV world... I picked up my Kangoo Maxi i yesterday.

I drove 85miles home.
With 35 miles range remaining.

I have no granny cable and my home charge point is a month away at least...

I need to sign up to the Scottish charge network...
And possibly pick up a granny cable in the interim..

I went to charge up last night at the local Railway station.. but you needed an RFID card...

·
Registered
597 Posts
@G_Cam you will need to get a Charge Place Scotland (CPS) card - this is especially useful as a lot of the Scottish charges don't have reliable comms so cannot be started remotely. The card only takes a couple of (working) days to come.
I'm not sure if you can use CPS chargers from the app/website, as I've always used an RFID card because this method is much more reliable at starting and stopping the charging sessions

·
Registered
18 Posts
Many Thanks
I have signed up and paid for my card so hopefully it will arrive soon.

After many attempts to get the app to work I have given up to be honest!

Can I ask what happens when new chargers are installed.. There is a new one a few miles from me. Its up and running but not appearing on any of the maps yet. It is in a Council run car park..

Thanks

Graham

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am guessing you guys are both 33kw! My 22 does 80 in the summer and at least 50 in the winter. I would like the extra ten kw but I cant justify ten grand on top to get it, my van only cost 4100 which is looking like quite a good investment. I wonder what will happen to the values of these vans as the world start going EV , because at the moment, there is no doubt they are going up in price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts