Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here and first time EV owner. Just took delivery of a 2012 Kangoo ZE for my daily 20 mile commute. Great little van but I'm not convinced it's charging properly. I'm still awaiting my chargepoint install at home, so been charging off the granny charger and when the charger turns off and I check the vehicle the needle doesn't quite go 100% to the top. Using the Fluencespy app it's showing the battery as 90% charged.

Today I took it to my local supermarket who has a podpoint charging point and left it to charge on there, when the charging stopped, again on Fluencespy it was only showing 90% charged. This time though the needle did look like it went all the way to the top.

GOM is showing the range at 60 miles which is pretty decent but I do want to be confident that it's charging fully.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Is your granny charger adjustable? If I charge my Fluence really slowly, I find the guessometer does not reduce for about the first ten miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your granny charger adjustable? If I charge my Fluence really slowly, I find the guessometer does not reduce for about the first ten miles.
Nope, just a simple charger with a red and green light, red light goes out when it's fully charged.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I think 60 miles is about all you'll get to be honest. I suspect the battery voltage is less for a given charge level if you charge slower. This accounts for the 90% you've noticed. What happens if you leave it on after the red light?

An adjustable granny charger might get you to the 100%. but it's nearly £200 for a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think 60 miles is about all you'll get to be honest. I suspect the battery voltage is less for a given charge level if you charge slower. This accounts for the 90% you've noticed. What happens if you leave it on after the red light?

An adjustable granny charger might get you to the 100%. but it's nearly £200 for a new one.
Charge level doesn't increase if I leave it on. To be honest I agree and think 60 miles is about as good as it will get, just seem odd that I can't get it to 100%. May well be that once my Sync EV is installed it will help too. But I'll look into an adjustable granny charger as I do need semi-reliable granny charger when I'm on the move. Any recommendations for any?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I just ordered this from Amazon which looks interesting: K.H.O.N.S. Type 1 EV Charger Smart UK 3 Pin Home Charging Cable EV Charging Cable 8/10A Electric Vehicle Charging Unit 5M with Cable Bag : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

It's the only granny charger I've found that has a delay timer built in. So you can plug it in at say 8pm, and set it not to charge until 12am. Then it can charge for a certain no. of hours before shutting off.

Maybe wait until I test it on the Fluence before you order it, as I've had trouble with the Fluence falling asleep and not charging with wall mounted ones.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I just ordered this from Amazon which looks interesting: K.H.O.N.S. Type 1 EV Charger Smart UK 3 Pin Home Charging Cable EV Charging Cable 8/10A Electric Vehicle Charging Unit 5M with Cable Bag : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

It's the only granny charger I've found that has a delay timer built in. So you can plug it in at say 8pm, and set it not to charge until 12am. Then it can charge for a certain no. of hours before shutting off.

Maybe wait until I test it on the Fluence before you order it, as I've had trouble with the Fluence falling asleep and not charging with wall mounted ones.
Okay, my KHONS charger came today. Looks good, and has a detachable clip that can be attached to a wall. Though it would need to be somewhere quite sheltered, as they say it is only shower proof. I set it for an hour's delay, and plugged it into the Fluence at 3pm, before locking the car.

I've just been outside, and it was charging away happily. There is quite a cool rotating blue light effect on the charger when it's charging. I was incorrect in thinking it stops after a particular time. It just continues until you unplug it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts