Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never leased a car before. I understand that I don't own the car, but was under the impression that I would be the registered keeper of the vehicle.

It arrived a month ago and it's taken that long for the leasing company to provide me with a copy of the V5 logbook. I needed this to apply for the London Congestion charge "discount", and I assume I'll need it to apply for the OLEV grant for a home charger.

It turns out that the leasing company (actually a third party finance company) are the registered keeper of the vehicle, so neither my name nor my address is on the V5 at all.

Is this normal?

I am yet to apply for OLEV and yet to hear back from TfL regarding my application, so possibly I'm kick up a fuss for nothing. I just find it mad that as the person who is literally keeping the vehicle that I am not its keeper. I look after it. I insure it. I maintain it.

Does anyone have any experience of problems not being able to demonstrate keepership with a leased vehicle? Either OLEV or otherwise?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The lease company has always been the registered keeper for my previous lease cars. I assume it's about keeping the count of registered keepers to a minimum and avoiding privacy issues when they finally sell the vehicle after its return.

It never caused me a problem with things like insurance or applying for the OLEV grant; I just told them it was a leased vehicle and provided a copy of the lease agreement instead of a V5C.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I've never needed my V5C to apply for the CC discount or such. The car clearly comes up as a full Electric so no need to mess about.

Guess it depends on the leasing company and their rules. I can understand why some may not give it out at all.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
You are never the registered keeper with lease cars - BCH/PCH. I suspect main reason is to remove any risk you will try and sell it, but I believe there are bookkeeping reasons too.

My ZE50 is the first car I have done on PCH and it did cause an issue as my insurance company did not cover lease cars. They agreed to cancel and not charge admin fee so I could move elsewhere. Thankfully, with the rise in popularity of PCH more insurance companies do cover, so there were plenty of quotes. Anyway, do make sure your insurance company know a lease company are owner and registered keeper or your policy will be invalid!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
765 Posts
Yes that is normal for lease cars. I'm surprised that any insurance companies don't cover lease cars, it usually works out cheaper for them to insure as in the event of a total loss the insurance company don't have to pay the vat element in the settlement as they would to a normal owner so they can source a car from a forecourt.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
208 Posts
Hello!

I am also leasing and the V5C does indeed state the lease company as registered keeper.

TFL does ask to see the V5C but only to confirm fuel type = electricity. They could just look up the reg number on the DVLA website for that but they don’t, they need to see a copy of the V5C.

When I applied for the congestion charge exemption, I provided a black and white scan of the V5C provided by the lease company, who also helpfully added a letter to confirm that I have exclusive use of the vehicle.

A week after applying, got an email to say all approved and I am now able to drive within the congestion charging zone. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
Ioniq Project 45, e-Niro4+
2,787 Posts
Just bear in mind on the insurance that some insurance companies [LV for one] do NOT cover full replacement costs of a write off in the first year on a leased car. This can affect any GAP insurance you get.
Very true - you need to check the policy very carefully and make sure your GAP insurance covers the risk. See, for example:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts