Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Keeping track of charges?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Bobdniro 
#1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not possible to keep track of charges within the infotainment system, right?

I was expecting to find a menu with a record of charges with info such as how long did they last, how many kW were charged or the charging speed... but didn't find anything. This info isn't available, is it?

How do you keep track of this info?

#4 ·
I've always kept a notebook in my cars with date milometer reading, gallons, price. Any drops in mpg could then be investigated and tackle problems before coming serious. I intend to continue this method of monitoring in the E-Niro, ie date, % start, milometer, GOM range, current miles/kwh ( I keep the continuous one and intend to reset at each service, much as I did with my last car) length of charge, % finish, New GOM range, cost.

Perhaps I'm OCD, or just a statistics nerd :ROFLMAO:

#10 ·
Ok, you will find that your fuel economy is much much more variable than a petrol car. A charge that is consumed by short trips in winter will be half the fuel economy (let’s say 2 miles per kWh) compared to a charge consumed by a long, low speed, rural drive in mid summer, think 4-5 miles per kWh. Thats not a fault of the car, it’s just how they all are. And of course, any long trips you’ll end up using rapid chargers, which may or may not tell you how many kWh they have delivered, and if they do it’s at the DC level, ignoring any loss as it goes into the battery (heat, cooling system, ancillary electronics if you’re in the car with the heating or Aircon on etc), which is unlike anything your home charge point would report as that’s on the AC level, and the charger in your car is not 100% efficient (and if you’re operating it below 7kw, for instance using the portable EVSE) it can be extremely inefficient (perhaps as low as 70% if the Charging time estimate on the dashboard is to be believed)

Youll probably also find you charge a lot more often than you would fill up with petrol, since just plugging it in is very low effort, and it’s nice to know you have a full “tank”, so you’d be fiddling around with the data allllll the time.

#13 · (Edited)
Interestingly, I discovered that the e-niro granny charger uses power even when not connected to the car.🤔

I have it supplied through a plug-in energy monitor so that I can log my charges on a spreadsheet.

With my previous EV I left the granny charger plugged into the household socket all the time and just plugged the cable into the car when needing to charge. There was no power usage when not plugged into the car.

Over a 24 hour period the power consumption meter showed 0.17kW consumption.😳

I now switch off the supply at the wall when not charging, but this means losing the cumulative reading🥴

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.