Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just bought a 66 reg Zoe. Regarding the key card/fob, what are the benefits in putting it in the slot by the gearstick?

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
162 Posts
I’ve had one for two and a half years and I’ve never put it in the slot. Not reason to and no advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,368 Posts
The window trick is the main one, or I think any other situation where you don't want the car running but want the equivalent of "ignition" (actually I think it roughly equates to 'acc')

·
Registered
552 Posts
Several salesmen have told us that it's to recharge the fob battery. That's obviously a lie as the battery isn't rechargeable!

The only time I've used it was when the fob battery was getting a bit low. It became a bit of a lottery if the car would recognise the fob until I could find the time to buy a new one and change it, so the slot was useful...

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
222 Posts
The slot uses a different technology to connect to the key than the wireless system - to it does have uses. Should still allow you to start the car with the fob battery entirely dead.

I was joking above about wireless not working but my Zoe is now at the dealership for the third week with them failing to get it working (wireless didn't work when I picked it up new in January - buttons on fob work but wireless didn't so you have to put it in the slot).

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,451 Posts
The dealer may have a point regarding battery, not in that it charges it up, I believe that is wrong (thought it is possible), but more so that it will not flatten the battery from being constantly 'pinged' while in the car on wireless.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I’ve just bought a 66 reg Zoe. Regarding the key card/fob, what are the benefits in putting it in the slot by the gearstick?
I just put mine in the cubby hole over the glove box - or in my pocket. I've never put it into the slot and only would if wanting to open a window

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The slot uses a different technology to connect to the key than the wireless system - to it does have uses. Should still allow you to start the car with the fob battery entirely dead
Yes - that's because there is a physical key inside the fob (white knob unlatches it) and you can put that somewhere to start the car. But you can also put it in the slot like you said :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well I'm currently into week 4 of my Zoe being back at the dealership as they try to work out why wireless locking hasn't worked since I picked up the new car (fob buttons worked).
Diagnostics sent to Renault (multiple times), recoded keys; reprogrammed various internals ,replaced antenna (all three of them), next going to replace the Body control unit... apparently each time the dealer does what Renault says, then they have to send diagnostics back to Renault, then Renault take a number of days to go back to them, then they need to order parts which means they are making one change a week...

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,532 Posts
@RiverRock

If you unlock it with the fob and then start the car, then stop it then get out and walk away did it lock the car automatically after squeaking at you? Mine seems to take longer to notice you've gone depending on which direction you walk off in.

If you double press the fob then it doesn't do keyless entry so a sticky fob could always be doing a double press to lock and disable keyless unlocking.

·
Registered
222 Posts
None of the wireless system works such as leaving car, coming close to car, buttons on door handle, bring able to start the car without key in the slot etc. Its as if they forgot to install it.
Basically they don't know what's wrong so they are going round iterations of diagnostics, send to Renault, they suggest changing something, ordering part, changing it, reconfiguring everything, testing then it still doesn't work.
Painful process.
Also Renault complaints system says on website they aim to respond within 1 day. After no response after 3 days, I contacted them by text chat to be told their response time is 5 working days...

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,532 Posts
@RiverRock

That does sound like it's just not on the car at all.

If both keys are the same then it's clearly been buggered up.

If a fresh set of new keys doesn't work either I'd be pushing for a replacement car and to reject this one as if it's been assembled so badly they missed this off and didn't notice what else is missing?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts