Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Key fob, door handle, approach lighting.

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  YoWombat 
#1 ·
HELP - I’ve briefly covered the key/lock issue previously, but I’d really appreciate some advise. I love the ID3, but this issue is really concerning me.

1) Approach lighting / unlocking never works

2) Unlocking by pulling the handle works about 10% of the time (after a multi second delay)

3) Locking with the button on the handle works about 50% of the time. Instant if it works at all.

4) Unlocking with the fob, works nearly every time.

5) Locking with the fob works every time

Dealer has investigated twice, but can’t resolve, he has sent a report to Germany. He says if VW get 7 reports of the issue, they will investigate.

I appreciate that I can just use the fob, or physical key if that fails, but why should I have to + is it an indication of deeper issues?

The car is now 11 days old, delivery was originally delayed by 5 weeks, due to 2.1 upgrade problems.
I really want this car to work, it’s a joy to drive, despite a few niggles, but would I be better rejecting within the 30 day period if VW can resolve the issue? This nonsense of needing 7 reports before they will investigate really concerns me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Has it got a way of turning off approach unlocking? Some of them seem to need to be turned off an on again.

I'd also change the battery in the fob or try the other fob and see if that makes any difference.

I also have keyless that is stupid and annoying and I can't see the point in putting up with it either. I use keyless so I expect it to work.

You've reported it as a fault and you tell the dealer it's either fixed or the vehicle is rejected as you paid for a car with keyless and you expect it to work. I've had keyless on several cars and it's always just worked.

#3 ·
Has it got a way of turning off approach unlocking? Some of them seem to need to be turned off an on again.

I'd also change the battery in the fob or try the other fob and see if that makes any difference.

I also have keyless that is stupid and annoying and I can't see the point in putting up with it either. I use keyless so I expect it to work.

You've reported it as a fault and you tell the dealer it's either fixed or the vehicle is rejected as you paid for a car with keyless and you expect it to work. I've had keyless on several cars and it's always just worked.
Yes, all relevant settings are correct.

I get the same problem with either key fob

I haven’t changed the batteries, will do, but both fobs start blinking the red light when approaching car, so I think they are chatting, which suggests batteries are OK.

#5 ·
All I can add is, it isn’t working correctly, and the VW dealer needs to step up and solve it rather than hiding behind a report to VW and the 7 reports nonsense.

I’ve turned my unlock on approach off, but the car still unlocks when I grab the handle or use the boot latch, and it locks when I so much as brush the outside of the handle as well. What you’re describing isn’t right.

#8 ·
I wish this system associated the wipers being in the service position as the car being washed and stopped unlocking and locking the car and all the associated mirror movements when I go near it with a stream of water or a sponge!

You can move to the service position just by gently moving the arms BTW, no need to go into a menu.

#10 ·
Check the 12V battery voltage, if it's low the keyless system doesn't seem as reliable. If the car's been standing around for a while it might be low and lead acid batteries take a long time to fully charge. The button on the handle is nonsense. 2.0 firmware had a workaround to discharged 12v batteries but if your's has just been updated it might take a while to get up to voltage. I just put my palm flat on the handle and it seems far more reliable. Similarly touching the inside of the handle seems to unlock it. Where do you keep your key? I keep my key in my pocket and sometimes I works to move closer to the door or the boot lid.

#11 ·
Hmm. Isn't there a difference between 'unlock on approach' where the car unlocks itself without you touching the door handle, and keyless entry where you have to touch the handle, specifically the sensor on the inner surface of the handle, to unlock the door? And touch the outer surface of the handle to lock it?

As I understand it, the keyless entry is the standard way of getting into the car, or you can use the button on the key if you prefer. Neither of these methods is disabled if you disable 'unlock on approach', I think.
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

#12 ·
Well none of them work reliably on mine - 12v battery seems OK, checked it with a meter

Todays been a total car disaster. Decided to take my parents out for a run, but just encountered one problem after another. I’ll detail the latest issues in a separate post - they deserve their own thread

When this car works, it’s a joy to drive, but when it doesn’t, it’s a complete pile of 💩

Loosing the will to live - not sure if I can even be bothered fighting to get this sorted anymore.

#15 ·
Mine is set up like Tooks, and works OK now. I don't get the problem with mirrors moving as I walk around the car.

The fobs used to be annoying prior to 2.1, being too sensitive most of the time, but non-responsive occasionally. But it didn't seem related to the state of the 12V battery (and I suffered from complete drain twice).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.