Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning I went out to get into my Leaf and found that I couldn't. I normally keep the key in my pocket and use the button on the door handle to unlock. Nothing happened, I tried the unlock button on the fob, again nothing. I couldn't get in. Tried the second fob, Same result. Eventually I manged to get in by holding the fob against the side window as I pressed the door button.
The nest problem was a display 'No Key Detected' with no response from the starter button. Neither of the key fobs worked. It wasn't flat fob batteries, I had replaced them both a week ago.
After phone callas to Nissan dealer, then RAC , I remembered that the car would start if I held the fob against the start button and then after the bleep, pressed the button. That got me going, so I cancelled RAC and drove to Nissan dealer. They loaned me a replacement, and went into diagnostic mode.
(The Micra I was loaned reminded me why I like EV's so much.)
After a full diagnostic there was nothing found, according to the printout my Leaf is in good health. Needless to say they could not replicate the fault.

I drove home parked up, in the normal spot, stopped the car, and guess what, It would not let me in. The same fault again.
I tried several parking spots and found that the problem ONLY occurred in a very small area, right outside of my house, on the driveway and also in the road. 10 mtrs either way and all was well. We checked WiFi, computers and everything else we could think of but could not cure the problem. There seemed to be some type of local interference.

The next morning everything worked as normal. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone have any ideas?
It would seem that Vodafone started 4G in the area very recently, I wonder if there is a connection?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

This is the only fault I have had related to my key.

It happened twice in a day, but it cleared when I drove home and haven't had the fault again in 4 or 5 months.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've heard of this before but with a ducati alarm fob for a bike, what ever he did it would not disable the immobiliser. Pushed it down the road and it was fine. Makes you wonder what's buzzing around your head!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
There was a local newspaper report a couple of years ago in Windermere where a newly installed domestic wi-fi interrupted car's electronic ignitions and key fobs in a small radius...it took a few weeks to track down the offending piece of kit and I don't know if it was ever followed up why this created the problem...

Just a thought. Neighbour with something new sharing a frequency?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
There is a particular spot in Crieff where car remotes would not unlock/lock cars. Not tried parking there in a while but I do remember reading somewhere that strong transmitters can swamp areas and stop car remotes working.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to report , no further problems so far. Neighbours have no new equipment, but we realise that at the time of the problem we had opened a couple of windows normally kept closed. Since they are coated glass perhaps opening the window had allowed a signal out that was normally contained.
We await future developments!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts