Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new Zoe in a few weeks. Want to avoid it being stolen by somebody cloning my wireless key card. Does the key come with a sleeve that blocks out transmission to the car or will I need to buy a box to go in my home to put the key.

What have others done?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it, not the kind of car targeted by organised car thieves who use the cloning tech.

even if you had a desirable car for theft, they are just going to break into your house for the keys, possibly waking you up at knifepoint.

I leave all car keys downstairs in an obvious place. My model X is the one they would come for.

This is why we have insurance

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
567 Posts
I may well be wrong, but I didn't think cloning was very (if at all) feasible with modern wireless keys. I believe they generate a new public key on each use, so reading one doesn't let you generate the next, as you also need to know the private key for the car as well.

The usual approach is a 'man in the middle' attack, effectively using an 'amplifier' to make the car think the key is close to it, when it is actually still in your house.

That attack is easy to prevent with the ZOE. If you lock the car by pressing the lock button on the key card then it will only unlock by pressing the button again - hands free unlocking is disabled. It's easier to press the button than put your key in a metal box. [I assume the same is true for the ZE50.]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy who listed the quirks of the new Ze 50 said that deadlocking doesn't work and that it still reopens when you walk up to car regardless of whether you have pressed lock. So I think some sort of key security will be essential. It was the amplification risk that I was thinking of

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
The guy who listed the quirks of the new Ze 50 said that deadlocking doesn't work and that it still reopens when you walk up to car regardless of whether you have pressed lock. So I think some sort of key security will be essential. It was the amplification risk that I was thinking of
Or just switch off passive entry. Then the deadlock should work.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The dead lock does work... after I read that posting I got my other half to sit in the car I walked away and tried to deadlock it.. it worked and he couldn't get out... I must try again as i can remeber if I had to press the open button or it opened as I walked towards it

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a faraday cage box and that of course works, but there again I also have a big Lexus with proximity key (of note Lexus have now stopped the auto unlock option on new cars and when I looked at the Porsche Taycan configurator it was an option extra with a warning).
This was the box I bought BTW for anyone interested.

·
Registered
468 Posts
No point in paying for a sleeve or cage. We did buy a wallet for the Zoe keys when we first got it, but it wasn't big enough for the PHEV keys as well. Rather than buy another wallet, we just keep our keys inside an old tin that we had lying around - the car won't unlock even with tin touching the bodywork, so it's not going to work for a tea-leaf with an amplifier (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No point in paying for a sleeve or cage. We did buy a wallet for the Zoe keys when we first got it, but it wasn't big enough for the PHEV keys as well. Rather than buy another wallet, we just keep our keys inside an old tin that we had lying around - the car won't unlock even with tin touching the bodywork, so it's not going to work for a tea-leaf with an amplifier (y)
Smashing. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rather than buy another wallet, we just keep our keys inside an old tin that we had lying around
Strictly speaking a tin with a lid is a faraday cage - good idea though ;) - good job for me that where I keep my keys there is not space for a biscuit tin as guess what I threw out only a few weeks back. A tea caddy with a large opening would be ideal - however the ones I do have I am using.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Posting a link to the latest XKCD here, not for any argument or challenge, but just because I found it amusing the timing of it (and it's a good cartoon).

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it, not the kind of car targeted by organised car thieves who use the cloning tech.

even if you had a desirable car for theft, they are just going to break into your house for the keys, possibly waking you up at knifepoint.

I leave all car keys downstairs in an obvious place. My model X is the one they would come for.

This is why we have insurance
I have to agree here with MrMoon , i wouldnt worry about it. Its a great car, but its not exactly top of the list to nick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts