Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else need to replace they keyfob battery every three months or so? Maybe I've just been buying under-spec batteries?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Nope, about 12 months each on mine.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Do you have anything with your keys in your pocket that could be pressing the buttons when you sit down etc.?

The batteries should last at least a year or two, keyfobs don't use much power.
As long as you're not buying pound shop specials then you should be OK.
Even ASDA brand ones are just as good as the duracell or energiser ones.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have replaced mine several times in the past 6 months, though I have been using cheep batteries from a discount store. :D

·
9,719 Posts
They should last between services, usually battery change is part of the service on nearly all vehicles. BMW even leave a spare battery for the spare key if you don't take it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Mine gave out after two years (both the main keyfob and the spare). Bought a pack of two (Renault badged) from the dealer for £4.44 inc VAT and so far so good after a further year (the spare keyfob has its battery still in the packet to be installed if and when needed).

·
Registered
699 Posts
I used maxwell only lasted a few months using the 2032 now got some duracell lithium 2032, only time will tell

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Keyfob battery low warning on the car occurs when the 3 volt battery gets to 2.9 volts. Takes about two years if a good quality battery is used.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Hmm. I just remembered seeing Maxell brand in the pound store, so cheapo brand there.

Duracell, energiser or the store brand ones seem to be OK. Expect to be paying a couple of quid per battery.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I tend to ignore the low battery warnings, in reality the battery lasts longer than that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ignore at your peril. Did that for a few months but it finally refused to allow access to the car. Unfortunately the wife was driving and didn't realise Zoe has a key hidden within the card for emergency access ;)

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
There are some YouTube clips on how to open up the key fob. You take the key out and use a watchmakers screwdriver to prise a corner of the seam line open and then work round until the halves separate. The stock issue battery in mine was a Sony 2025 but a 2032 seems to work just as well as it physically fits in a LEAF keyfob. A 2032 is rated at 240 mAh and a 2025 is rated 163 mAh, so a 2032 should last longer in use. Both have a shelf life of eight years.

@Mike Schooling I suppose this means one can upgrade the battery capacity of a LEAF for less than £5. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts