Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2017 Passat GTE Advance estate since May of last year and absolutely loving it. With a lot of recent press coverage of the security problems relating to keyless entry I find myself somewhat confused with the system installed on the GTE.

Rightly or wrongly, I have always locked and unlocked the car with the press buttons on the remote and have never been aware of any "keyless" method to unlock or lock the car although obviously I have been aware of the need for the key to be in the confines of the car to start with the START/STOP button on the centre console.

VW's online description of their KESSY system describes the car unlocking automatically when the key is close by and being able to lock by pressing a "dimple" on the door handle - but I can find no dimple on my car and I've never experienced the car automatically unlocking unless I press the button on the remote.

Am I missing something, or is the GTE different to other VW cars with KESSY?? If there IS a need to press the remote buttons to lock and unlock the car, does this mean that the car is secure against the "relay" method of car theft?

·
Registered
421 Posts
[QUOTE="...does this mean that the car is secure against the "relay" method of car theft?[/QUOTE]
Yes, I believe it does.

·
Registered
352 Posts
All Passat GTEs have keyless start, but keyless entry is an optional extra even on the Advance I believe. I didn't go for the keyless entry option specifically because of the relay vulnerability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Advance has keyless entry. The only option fitted. Here is a picture of the dimple on the door handle.

To prevent relay attack I keep my keys in a faraday pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would have thought that having to put your keys in a faraday pouch every time you come home and take it out every time you want to use the car is more hassle than pressing the unlock/lock buttons as required. And do you take the faraday pouch with you to protect the car any time you're in a restaurant or at someone else's house?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is a hassle, but I bought the car second hand so had no choice over the options fitted. It was the only blue Advanced up for sale in the country at the time. I my opinion small price to pay for having a great car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts