Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a demo on TV tonight about how easy it is to steal a car with keyless entry. This was achieved by having a device near the wall of the house which would boost the key signal, then the car is unlocked and driven away.

Will this affect Volt and Ampera. I always use the keyfob button to unlock the car, but I assume if they used this device they could just press the silver door button if the fob signal was boosted?

Also will the car start and run without the key in the car, I know if beeps if you leave the fob in the car and get out.

If this does affect our cars I expect a fix would be to keep keys in a box which blocks the signal indoors, any advice on materials?
Sorry there is already a thread on this and I cant delete post. On EBay Car Keyless Entry Fob Guard Signal Blocker Faraday Bag - theft prevention

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
A tin box will do for putting your keys in if you're concerned.

My Nissan e-NV200 has an option to disable keyless entry, which I have done as I prefer to know I've locked or unlocked my car.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Interesting, I know the car won't power up if the key is out of range, not sure how often it checks the key is present once it's powered on.
Worth a quick experiment, power the car up, open the window hand someone outside the key have them walk away and see if you can still drive off.
let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yo
Interesting, I know the car won't power up if the key is out of range, not sure how often it checks the key is present once it's powered on.
Worth a quick experiment, power the car up, open the window hand someone outside the key have them walk away and see if you can still drive off.
You can drive it without a key until it runs out of electricity.

Or until you turn it off.

You can't turn it on without a key. (In range)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea @MikeProcter beat me to it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo

You can drive it without a key until it runs out of electricity.

Or until you turn it off.

You can't turn it on without a key. (In range)
Thanks for this info @MikeProcter , that's what happened to the cars they tried it on the TV programme. As above I have bought 2 faraday boxes to shield the signal. I should have checked the forum first as there are several posts regarding this problem.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I hardly ever use the key fob to open the car. It is one of the benefits I have found of the Ampera is being able to open the car (especially when carrying a heavy bag) to just open the door without needing to look for the keys.
One disadvantage is that with two of you it is possible to forget to take your keys with you.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The keyfob signal blocker I mentioned in a post above arrived today. I put the keyfob in the bag and operated the buttons and the car responds lock and unlock even from inside the house. I know these are sold to block signal boosting but surely it should block a signal from the fob while in the bag. Just checking before i return it and advise anyone thinking of buying one to wait. Im wondering is pressing the button gives a more powerful signal, but the bag may block what I assume is a lower powered static signal. Not my area of expertise obviously but I cant see a way to test this product.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just reading the manual to see if I am missing something obvious and was noticed this.
Vehicle Security
This vehicle has theft-deterrent
features; however, they do not make
the vehicle impossible to steal.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I should wear a hat on sunny days! Anyway working on the assumption that the bag wont block a signal from pressing the button. I took my life in my hands and did the unthinkable. I put the keyfob in the bag, put it in my pocket and did something I have never done before and pressed the silver door handle button........The locks operated so this KeyFob Signal Blocker seems to be useless, anyone tell me if I have missed anything here please.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The bag is supposed to provide a 'faraday cage' which blocks the signal, in order to get the cage effect the pouch must be properly closed no gaps of any sort, just putting in the pouch is not enough.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The keyfob was in the pouch which has a velcro closure then in my pocket, i could still operate the doors. Without the device the thieves use to amplify the signal I cant give it a 'real world' test. I assumed that it would completely block what I guess is a low strength signal from the fob when closed and in my pocket.
Tried fob indoors behind upstairs window, buttons dont operate.
Fob in a metal tin, doors open when holding the tin but dont when tin is on the ground next to the car. So a metal tin blocks it in this instance.
With fob in the faraday bag doors will open while holding it and pressing silver button. If I put the bag with the key on the ground next to the car it did open the doors second time i pressed the dreaded silver button.
It seems that I have no way of knowing if this will work but again this isnt my area of expertise. Im not confident as the metal tin seems to work better.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Possibly a daft question, but where is the second key to the car?

·
Registered
615 Posts
So the metal tin is a much better faraday cage than the pouch, that's to be expected, the reason it works when you hold the tin is that you body acts as an a radio antenna.

I must admit i'm not too concerned about theft, your averge car criminal is not interested in an Ampera, they want cars they can break for parts and easliy dispose of or export abroad, there are much easier targets out there.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the metal tin is a much better faraday cage than the pouch, that's to be expected, the reason it works when you hold the tin is that you body acts as an a radio antenna.

I must admit i'm not too concerned about theft, your averge car criminal is not interested in an Ampera, they want cars they can break for parts and easliy dispose of or export abroad, there are much easier targets out there.
I must admit Im possessively paranoid about my car, I will in future use 2 tins. I actually bought two pouches from different suppliers and had the same result with both.
Again this isnt my area but I take it the keys passively send a low powered signal all the time, and the only way to really test these bags would be to either try to measure the signal from the key outside the house while the key is indoors or buy the device the car thieves use to see if it picks the signal up (not recommended).

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
In my Ampera, if you have put the car in park, leave it switched on, take the key away from the car, it won't let you move the gear selector out of park.....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Did anyone ever work out how to disable the door buttons? I've just disabled them on our Leaf, but it seems on the Volt you can only disable passive door lock, but not passive door unlock. Actually you can select between unlock all doors or unlock driver door only, but not disable the feature entirely.

I'm considering setting passive door lock to driver's door only, then unplugging the drivers door button wiring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts