Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a phone call from colleagues at work, as they've caught someone trying to potentially steal cars, using some sort of transponder attached to our car park gate which I imagine is gathering data for them to use later on?

My point is, am I right in thinking my Model 3 is somewhat safe from this? I use my phone as my key and that uses bluetooth to confirm I'm there, right?

What exactly would they need to do to steal it as I don't have a normal fob? Can they hack the card?

Thanks guys

·
Striving for a greener planet
204 Posts
I asked this question a little while back.
basically nothing to worry about. It was a relay attack on the very early key fobs that had a risk attached to them.
There was an update for them and seems to have pretty much solved it.
As for the M3. No key fob in the UK yet and access card and bluetooth are immune to this type of attack

·
EGGY
964 Posts
Thought they had "pin to drive" ? Although that wouldn't stop a break in and theft (as has just happened to my neighbours 3 series BM) on the drive / parked

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,360 Posts
RF fobs using comfort entry is the system prone to attack like seen where S was stolen. Main worry seems to be Tesla account not have two way authentication such like Apple account uses.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If you are worried, don't use the app at all. Unpair it from the car and just use the key card. (Don't forget to tap out when you exit the car, or it will remain unlocked).

Otherwise, IMO the only things to worry about are getting your account hacked, or having your phone close enough to the car for the car to be unlocked. So if you work in a ground floor office, with the car parked a couple of meters from your desk on the other side of your office window, then the car is likely to be insecure and you would need to have Pin to Drive active to prevent theft.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are worried, don't use the app at all. Unpair it from the car and just use the key card. (Don't forget to tap out when you exit the car, or it will remain unlocked).

Otherwise, IMO the only things to worry about are getting your account hacked, or having your phone close enough to the car for the car to be unlocked. So if you work in a ground floor office, with the car parked a couple of meters from your desk on the other side of your office window, then the car is likely to be insecure and you would need to have Pin to Drive active to prevent theft.
Thanks Jimbo,

I don’t work anywhere near my car. The car park is about a 5 minute walk away from the building (yes, it’s a big site) I l’ve got Pin to drive active now, so that’s put my mind at ease for now. Thanks everyone else for your replies.

·
Graphite Grey would be my pick
36 Posts
Faraday cage on ebay £2.99 or RFI blocking card for similar price also works for contactless cards, if in 5 Cms in its vicinity

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think he’s suggesting the OP leaves the keycard within 5 cm of the car. ;)
no, you put the car in a faraday cage! that way the other end of the repeater won't work even when they do get within 5cm of your key card ... twice

·
Registered
165 Posts
You are seriously suggesting keeping a mobile phone in a faraday cage...?
Just drag down and switch off bluetooth on phone or switch to airplane mode. No Faraday cage required.

Remember to keep passive entry switched off, keyless driving disabled, pin to drive enabled, a decent my tesla account password, a screen lock pin on your mobile, and your Model 3 should be reasonably secure.

As improvements, tesla should consider two factor authentication for mytesla and the option of more digits for pin to drive and even voice recognition.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Remember to keep passive entry switched off, keyless driving disabled, pin to drive enabled, a decent my tesla account password, a screen lock pin on your mobile, and your Model 3 should be reasonably secure.

As improvements, tesla should consider two factor authentication for mytesla and the option of more digits for pin to drive and even voice recognition.
Or perhaps instead you should just buy a different brand that has a physical metal key. 😀

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Just drag down and switch off bluetooth on phone or switch to airplane mode. No Faraday cage required.

Don’t forget to remove the fuses from the car either.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I find it so weird that, in the 1990s if you had BMWs 5" screen option in the car it came with pin to drive. Then they seem to have abandoned it and you have all these relay thefts and now it's coming back. Some techie in the 90s planned for this and his work was ignored.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Or perhaps instead you should just buy a different brand that has a physical metal key. 😀
Physical keys offer almost no protection these days, you can buy a decoder key off ebay and in a few minutes you've got the key combination number.
My neighbours 2016 Focus got done, and in Ford's wisdom, if you open the car with the key the alarm doesn't go off. So her car got ransacked three times on the drive before she decided she had to sell it, as after the first time they had the key combination and could just walk up and open it with their key. Ford's only solution to her was replacing the locks and keys.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts