Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car.three weeks now and I've only just got around to reading the Owner's Manual and realised.that the car has keyless entry. This has.now become a serious security problem. I know about putting your keys in a metal box but that's not really the solution Is there any sneaky way to turn off.the keyless function? I thought that it would be in the vehicle settings but it isn't.

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
108 Posts
This has.now become a serious security problem. I know about putting your keys in a metal box
Keyless has a proximity of about 1 metre or less and is used on millions of cars. Despite hearing about a few supposed thefts, I think the chance of your PHEV being stolen by scanning is significantly less than you dropping your key. And remember, keyless means you NEVER need to take the key out of your pocket so your key is much less likely to be dropped.
Think about it -

1. Thief has to be in very close proximity to you
2. Thief also has to know which is your car
3. Thief has to have highly sophisticated equipment active at the time they are close to you
4. Thief still can't start/steal the PHEV, they have just opened a door.

I sometimes need to turn my "key pocket" towards the door to get it to keyless open while I'm holding the doorhandle, that's how close you need to be.

There are only 2 aspects in day to day life that make keyless frustrating in the 4 years I have used it in 2 vehicles -
1. If a 2nd key is in the car you can't lock the door using the button on the outside as the PHEV thinks you are trying to lock your key in the car,
2. If the person with the only key happens to be the passenger and exits the vehicle (eg to pickup takeaway food) the PHEV doesn't warn the passenger who exitied with the key, so the driver can be left stranded as the PHEV only drives for a minute or so when the key is no longer present.

If you're aware of the above, keyless is fantastic and you'll be frustrated when you have a car without it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course these thefts using the keyless function take place outside your house, normally overnight so proximity is not a problem. I don't think it's true to say that they can't then drive the car, I assume that once they have the code for the key they can continue to use it. I don't know whether a second hand Outlander would be a good steal but there was recently a video on facebook showing thieves stealing the battery from a Prius.

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
108 Posts
Of course these thefts using the keyless function take place outside your house, normally overnight so proximity is not a problem.
Can the thief get within a metre of your key in your home?
If you are so worried, pull the button battery from the key fob and simply plug it in to the slot in the dash each time you want to drive the PHEV. Enter the vehicle using the physical key within the key fob.

Mitsubishi Outlander Key Slot - Autoworld.com.my

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can the thief get within a metre of your key in your home
No but the equipment they have now can work over much longer distances
No, I will not be removing the battery as I use the key fob all the time, I just don't want my car stolen (and I have had a car stolen once before so I'm perhaps more nervous about it than you). It is a pity that keyless operation isn't disabled when you dead lock the car

·
Registered
23 Posts
No but the equipment they have now can work over much longer distances
No, I will not be removing the battery as I use the key fob all the time, I just don't want my car stolen (and I have had a car stolen once before so I'm perhaps more nervous about it than you). It is a pity that keyless operation isn't disabled when you dead lock the car
Don't leave your keys in the back of your front door (or near it)

The thieves use a small receiver to scan the code your fob emits, and then rebroadcast it at your car to open and start it. If your keys aren't within transmission range of their device there is no problem. Current advice from police etc is to take keys upstairs at night.

Alternatively do what I do, park another car on the drive in front of the phev. (one that doesn't have remote entry)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
A small metal box works fine, and has the advantage that you need to eat the Scottish Shortbread before you can use it. The lid must make electrical contact with the base, so punch a few shallow dimples in the box along each top edge so the lid makes good contact. Job done!

The shortbread was so good, I may make one for each of the kids for Xmas.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Some observations:
  • My wife's handbag blocks the signal at any distance.
  • If the car is locked, and the key is inside the car, keyless entry does not work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts