Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
New to the Ampera Club
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me if its just me or is this an annoyance with keyless entry?

First time I locked keys in I had opened front pessenger door using little silver button and threw my coat (with keys in pocket) on seat, shut the door and 20 secs later the doors self locked.

RAC rescued me and I put that down to a dying battery in fob but I also turned passive locking off.

Today I walked upto boot with keys in coat pocket, held boot button and boot opened but rest of car stays locked, threw coat and bag in boot then shut boot but of course everything is locked!

RAC to the rescue again.

Surely the car should detect that my keys are in there and stop it locking! Or should I just key my keys on my person from now on?

Hoping im not the only one thats done it (twice).

Wayne

·
Registered
707 Posts
My Volt doesn't passively lock if the key FOB is detected inside the vehicle. That said, in your second instance the vehicle was already locked... and you put your key FOB into it and shut the hatch.

Don't you keep the spare key FOB in your house somewhere?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Never happens to me, but I think I disabled the automatic locking. The boot will open while whole car locked and if it is closed without opening a door, it will re-lock, so I could lock them in that way, but I have learned to not put coat in boot. If I get out and try and lock the car but I left the fob in the car it just won't lock, which reminds me to fish it out of my jacket and take it with me in my trousers pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Please tell me if its just me or is this an annoyance with keyless entry?

First time I locked keys in I had opened front pessenger door using little silver button and threw my coat (with keys in pocket) on seat, shut the door and 20 secs later the doors self locked.

RAC rescued me and I put that down to a dying battery in fob but I also turned passive locking off.

Today I walked upto boot with keys in coat pocket, held boot button and boot opened but rest of car stays locked, threw coat and bag in boot then shut boot but of course everything is locked!

RAC to the rescue again.

Surely the car should detect that my keys are in there and stop it locking! Or should I just key my keys on my person from now on?

Hoping im not the only one thats done it (twice).

Wayne
Yep, I've done the second thing TWICE! :D

First time I had to call my daughter to drive to my home, get my spare key and drive it to where I was parked. Second time I was 30 miles away, had to enlist the help of a friend! I don't know why, as you say, it can't detect the key in the coat pocket in the boot and not lock - unless the signal from the key can't reach the sensors when it's in the boot. Either way I've never since kpt my keys in my COAT pocket - always my trouser poclet. I've not yet felt a need to remove my trousers and throw them in the boot. There's always a first time I suppose....

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,095 Posts
I've tried and tried to make this happen and I haven't been able to reproduce this.

(Obviously safe in the knowledge that I have a spare key upstairs.)

Sorry, can't make it happen.

There again, my fob batteries are quite recently replaced. Are your batteries new?

Have you had this engine-running software update? I've refused it. Maybe the re-hash has upset this functionality?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I've never managed it but then I just make sure I don't shut my keys in the car at all ;)

·
New to the Ampera Club
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery in the fob has been replaced yes.

im not sure about the update, only had the car since March but it did have a service last week at Lookers. When did they release the update and why did you refuse it?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Neither of us has managed to lock keys in, quite the opposite. The good lady persistently leaves fob in central consul and with mine in trousers car just beeps til I've retrieved hers. Can't lock it otherwise although never actually tried to force the issue. Don't know if it is the settings as never understood them either. Life is a constant surprise/mystery to me.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Mine never passively locks.
I have it ticked on the setup and have noticed that pressing the button on the passenger door will unlock it (the drivers door doesn't) so I assume it is correctly set up.
What have I missed?
Has anyone cleaned the button contacts for passive unlocking. It seems a bit much to have to paint a door handle and replace it as it can only be a contact fault surely?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
1,304 Posts
I did the same thing with putting jacket in the boot with keys in the pocket having only unlocked the boot. Had to call my wife to come and rescue me with the spare key. Thankfully was only at the local shopping centre less than 6 miles from home.

That was before the software update.

Car used to bong if I left the keys in the car, now it rather loudly toots the horn if I dare to get out without taking the keys with me, particularly if I have left the car running.

Felt such an idiot when I locked the keys in the boot and of course my wife never made a big deal out of it at all.....:whistle:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Car used to bong if I left the keys in the car, now it rather loudly toots the horn if I dare to get out without taking the keys with me
I can't remember whether I used to get the bong or a loud blast of the horn! I keep passive locking on, though, as I find it useful.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
We had a thread on this a few months ago that I replied to

Locked keys in car

This issue is most likely due to local RF interference. The issue is far less likely to happen is USA as the RF band used there is much cleaner. They probably didn't consider EU too much when it was designed and just changed RF bands.

81 Posts
So this happened to me today , well technically it's was the fiance's fault but that's by the by the AA man sorted it, top tip if it happens to u and u have a way of doing so if u can press the start button for 5 seconds this opens the passenger door and you can get to the keys , the AA man suggested a coat hanger so may be a bit of useful info for someone , certainly beats the cost of a new window :)

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I turned off the passive locking. The second time it happened I had to wait 2 hours for AA to come out and do the "poke wire at start button" trick. To be clear (to any car thiefs reading) that only works if a key responds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This happened twice with our car in 2 different locations. I changed the battery in the key and has not happened since.

Maybe that can be the problem?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
This happened twice with our car in 2 different locations. I changed the battery in the key and has not happened since.

Maybe that can be the problem?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Probably not as the car gives plenty of notice when fob battery is low. You were probably in an area where these was a lot of other stuff on 433Mhz. It can be worse if the fob is with lots of other keys as it makes the signal weaker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts