Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this has been covered - I tried to do a search for Android Auto across the whole site, but got 25 pages of threads.

Does anyone know if Kia have any intention of fixing the issue via software update, whereby Android Auto shows on the 10.25in screen as a 2/3 screen display with a bloody ugly black banner down the right hand side? Apple Car play uses the full screen width but AA doesn't.

I took a car out for a test drive today and because I was aware of the issue, I took my USB lead and tried AA to see how bad it was - jeez, it's bad. I am a big user of AA, and it is pretty off putting.

It is possible to get around it somewhat by enabling AA, sorting out your playlist on Spotify and then returning to the native map, with the 1/3 split screen insert on the right hand side showing the playlist info from Spotify if you want it to. But using Google maps via AA on that truncated screen with the hideous black split screen insert is a no-no for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ask Kia.
People like me will probably keep posting uninformed, speculative answers that won't help. Besides, even if someone on here knows of an update, it'll be down to Kia UK to instigate the update.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask Kia.
People like me will probably keep posting uninformed, speculative answers that won't help. Besides, even if someone on here knows of an update, it'll be down to Kia UK to instigate the update.
Already done. I await a reply with interest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would say Kia would say it's an Android Auto software issue, as it happens on other manufacturers cars too.
There is an option in AA under developer mode where you can change the screen resolution. This works on some other cars but haven't yet got 10" screen to test on.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they say that then it is wrong. Confirmed by Google in numerous quotes that the head set needs to accommodate it.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Curious. Why are some people annoyed by this. Doesn't make any difference to me. I'm just happy we can get android auto now almost as standard.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 10.5" screen is so much larger, I don't mind giving up 1/3 of it, but I don't use android auto very much. When I "crack" it so I can load other android apps and the Android O/S becomes useful, maybe then I would the entire screen.

Greg

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious. Why are some people annoyed by this. Doesn't make any difference to me. I'm just happy we can get android auto now almost as standard.
Why? Because one of the lovely features of the car is the large widescreen display and using Android Auto on it is akin to covering half the screen with masking tape.

Google maps uses large dialog boxes showing next turn etc and with the screen size available, it is barely useable, you can hardly see any map.

The large Android Auto banner covering a third of the screen is just bloody ugly.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quite agree. Did Kia ever reply to you DSLRed?
Yes, for what it was worth - standard generic push back

"Dear Mr xxxx

Please accept my apologies for the delay in my reply while we continue to work remotely.

Your feedback is important and helps us to continually improve our products and features.

I have passed yours to the relevant team who will take this into consideration when creating future updates. Although I cannot confirm when or if we are able to make these changes, the feedback is being taken seriously.

If there’s anything else, I can help with, please get in touch via email or phone on 0333 2022 990."

·
Registered
MY2020 Kia e-Niro 4, received 2 October
33 Posts
Thanks. I get my car tomorrow so I'll take a photo and send that to them along with a suitably disappointed message. Maybe enough folk piling on will get us somewhere... (or maybe not!)

I assumed that in cars that do support widescreen Android Auto that the main app just gets to be really wide. But I see from the photo in this article that you get a nice extra panel of widgets -- it looks really good!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am not sure if this has been covered - I tried to do a search for Android Auto across the whole site, but got 25 pages of threads.

Does anyone know if Kia have any intention of fixing the issue via software update, whereby Android Auto shows on the 10.25in screen as a 2/3 screen display with a bloody ugly black banner down the right hand side? Apple Car play uses the full screen width but AA doesn't.

I took a car out for a test drive today and because I was aware of the issue, I took my USB lead and tried AA to see how bad it was - jeez, it's bad. I am a big user of AA, and it is pretty off putting.

It is possible to get around it somewhat by enabling AA, sorting out your playlist on Spotify and then returning to the native map, with the 1/3 split screen insert on the right hand side showing the playlist info from Spotify if you want it to. But using Google maps via AA on that truncated screen with the hideous black split screen insert is a no-no for me.

Thanks
Issue? More of a feature really. The Hyundai/Kia display is a wider aspect ratio.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah, I have an Audi too, but it cost more than double my Kia, so my expectations of my poor little Kia are less. :)

I would not use the phrase "can't be bothered", there are MANY software deficiencies in my Kia that I wish would be improved, but seriously this would indeed cost more in engineering and thus the car cost would go up. Nothing is free. Eventually it catches up a bit as the scale of sales allows more engineering to be done.

Greg

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yeah, I have an Audi too, but it cost more than double my Kia, so my expectations of my poor little Kia are less. :)

I would not use the phrase "can't be bothered", there are MANY software deficiencies in my Kia that I wish would be improved, but seriously this would indeed cost more in engineering and thus the car cost would go up. Nothing is free. Eventually it catches up a bit as the scale of sales allows more engineering to be done.

Greg
Instead of spending likely millions on bespoke interface systems they could just adapt an industry standard, e.g. Android, then they'd be able to apply updates and fixes much more cheaply.

Any reasonable person would argue the cost of the car should include software bug fixes for a couple of years at least. This is clearly a bug.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Instead of spending likely millions on bespoke interface systems they could just adapt an industry standard, e.g. Android, then they'd be able to apply updates and fixes much more cheaply.

Any reasonable person would argue the cost of the car should include software bug fixes for a couple of years at least. This is clearly a bug.
As in the Polestar 2. I think it will become pretty standard practise to use Android Automotive in cars within 3 years or so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I need to tell you that you (DragonQ) that you have a naive view of where money goes in automotive development. It's easy to be an "armchair CEO" and say, compared to millions of dollars this is cheap to fix.

Having worked in the auto industry, specifically leading software development with a team composed of Denso (if you don't know who they are, you need to learn), and AT&T engineers, it is complex and the numbers multiply quickly. If you have not dealt with quantities in the millions and tens of millions, you can't make statements like you have.

Also, I would say that there are MANY more software bugs/features that a much larger part of the customer base than Android Auto.

The software design and integration in this car is poor, there's so many flaws in the user interface, integration of features, missing features, flawed implementation, that using full screen for Android Auto must be way down the list.

So bottom line, wishing for a specific feature is understandable, but you should look at the whole car and the total customer base when you start making statements like "any reasonable person", and that not using full screen is a bug...

Greg

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need to tell you that you (DSLRed) that you have a naive view of where money goes in automotive development. It's easy to be an "armchair CEO" and say, compared to millions of dollars this is cheap to fix.

Having worked in the auto industry, specifically leading software development with a team composed of Denso (if you don't know who they are, you need to learn), and AT&T engineers, it is complex and the numbers multiply quickly. If you have not dealt with quantities in the millions and tens of millions, you can't make statements like you have.

Also, I would say that there are MANY more software bugs/features that a much larger part of the customer base than Android Auto.

The software design and integration in this car is poor, there's so many flaws in the user interface, integration of features, missing features, flawed implementation, that using full screen for Android Auto must be way down the list.

So bottom line, wishing for a specific feature is understandable, but you should look at the whole car and the total customer base when you start making statements like "any reasonable person", and that not using full screen is a bug...

Greg
I think you have me confused with someone else Greg. Please show me where I said it was cheap to fix.

I too work in the software business and I know that things don't happen overnight. I know there are other things about the software interface that could be improved, not least of which is the ability to filter the charger search. Although I don't agree that the software design is poor. Indeed I have seen reviewers on YouTube suggest it is the best system in a car at this price point bar none. But yes, there is always room for improvement. But I don't agree that AA is way down the list either. Not if they want to avoid chucking sales away (across their whole range with the widescreen, not just the Eniro / Soul) as the UI experience is very important to lots of people.

But to repeat, I haven't said it is cheap and easy. Not sure why you think I have.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts