Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have a 4+ eNiro on order although I may expire before it arrives.
Been looking at the connected services and the various misinformation on the internet about it.
So - to anyone using Kia's connected services
Does the SatNav come up with speed camera alerts, and if so:
1. Does it include potential mobile spots
2. Does it take into account camera directional
3. Is it any good?

In my current car (Ampera) I use an Android App CamerAlert from PocketGPSWorld with the phone in a holder I can get to. If I can do without this that would be good

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,659 Posts
Well, a couple of things, Kia has speed camera warnings as an option in the Navigation. I don't think it is part of the connected services though. And I would expect they would be updated only with the navigation too. I'm not sure if you can update the list yourself. The good thing is that the navigation is by TomTom, so you can "report" a speed camera yourself, adding it to the TomTom list. I don't know if this gets updated to the car though (through connected services)...

Second in my recent testing, the default was sort of BEEP at almost the same time as you are passing by the camera...which is useless/pointless. I did change something like loudness of BEEP because I thought that it will make it less annoying, but I think it did change when the beep occurs. Now I get two beeps, one few seconds before the camera and another a few seconds after. That also means that I don't think it recognises which direction the camera is looking. Obviously on the motorway, it is a different story.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you use Waze this does have speed camera alerts and if your phone is plugged in and tucked in the charging bay then Android Auto means you will see your phone screen on the main screen. So you can use whatever app you like on the phone and you'll see it all on the main screen.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Waze doesn't cut it for speed cameras as far as I am concerned.
And I tried attaching the phone to the car via USB, running AA but CamerAlert does not appear on the main screen. Waze does

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
277 Posts
I very annoyingly got caught with a mobile camera van last year. Speed awareness course taken as was first time in ~45 years motoring. I had just drifted accidentally to 38 in a 30 zone just outside a 40 zone transition. Easily done in Prius as the engine sound bears little resemblance to actual speed. No doubt with the EV silence and the very brisk acceleration it is going to be even easier to drift over accidentally ☹.

Since that event, I have found the best way to avoid getting caught is by just driving at (or close to) the speed limits. That way it is becomes pretty irrelevant where the cameras are actually located. I have been using an iOS app called 'Speed alerts speedo minder pro'. It simply displays the current speed limit and your actual speed. If you go over (by an adjustable margin up to 5 over) it sounds a constant bong sound. Very simple but quite effective. I often use it even on local known routes, to help me stay close to speed limits. I’ve not yet used Apple CarPlay so don’t know if it works via that. I had assumed you could define in a set up screen which of your apps appear on the main screen. but maybe not?

Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
You could try turning on the speed limiter and driving within the limit.
You'd have to keep adjusting it. I'd prefer the intelligent speed limit warning system but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK as far as I can make out. I certainly don't have an option for it in my e-niro.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You'd have to keep adjusting it. I'd prefer the intelligent speed limit warning system but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK as far as I can make out. I certainly don't have an option for it in my e-niro.
As far as I can tell, there's nothing "intelligent" at all about the ILSW in as much as all it does is display speed limit signs that the front facing camera detects if they are different to the one stored in the satnav maps. It does not, again as far as I can tell, automatically set the speed limiter to the displayed limit which is what I assumed it would do.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It's only one press of the set rocker.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, a couple of things, Kia has speed camera warnings as an option in the Navigation. I don't think it is part of the connected services though. And I would expect they would be updated only with the navigation too. I'm not sure if you can update the list yourself. The good thing is that the navigation is by TomTom, so you can "report" a speed camera yourself, adding it to the TomTom list. I don't know if this gets updated to the car though (through connected services)...

Second in my recent testing, the default was sort of BEEP at almost the same time as you are passing by the camera...which is useless/pointless. I did change something like loudness of BEEP because I thought that it will make it less annoying, but I think it did change when the beep occurs. Now I get two beeps, one few seconds before the camera and another a few seconds after. That also means that I don't think it recognises which direction the camera is looking. Obviously on the motorway, it is a different story.
On my Niro I can choose when the camera warning beep occurs. By default at high speed it inform you a whole mile before you get to it. If there are several cameras about then what looks like a beep occuring after you pass a camera may actually be a beep refering to a camera a mile ahead of you!. I changed my setting to alert me .5 mile in advance on motorways and .2 mile everywhere else.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,659 Posts
On my Niro I can choose when the camera warning beep occurs. By default at high speed it inform you a whole mile before you get to it. If there are several cameras about then what looks like a beep occuring after you pass a camera may actually be a beep refering to a camera a mile ahead of you!. I changed my setting to alert me .5 mile in advance on motorways and .2 mile everywhere else.
I don't think the Soul has a similar setting, but can you please let me know where yours is located?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Try navigation settings/Guidance. Scroll down until you see Camera alert distance based on speed. I unchecked that and that enabled me to set my own distance warning for General and Highways.

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,659 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts