Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wanted to canvass views from fellow Kia e-Niro 4+ drivers out there as we are having a problem with the climate control on our recently delivered e-Niro. We placed the order at the start of August and had it delivered two weeks ago - it is a beautiful car and fantastic to drive but as far as I can see the CC just does not work on ours. We have had it checked out by the dealership and they say the diagnostic tests are all fine so we are now contemplating our next steps.

Let me describe the scenario.

If we pre-warm the vehicle via the remote to any temperature eg 22 deg, 23 ... doesn't matter which ... up to 27 deg (the maximum) the cabin heats up and is at the correct temperature when we get it but thereafter once we start the car and drive, with the CC set to Auto, the temperature just drops back to a bit above the outside temperature (which at present in the UK means it is around 16 deg inside the car - which gets pretty cold after a while). The heat just never seems to come back on - regardless of the state of the 'Heat' button/indicator on the panel - it seems to just blow out unheated air.

If we don't pre-warm the car it behaves similarly in Auto - it heats up to the selected temperature when we start and then switches off and never comes back on. Using just the AC and not the Auo CC is the same.

To me this just sounds broken - a problem with the heating system. I would be interested in hearing anyone else's experience!

Thanks!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Doesn't sound good. Mine warms up and stays toasty warm throughout the ride.

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
331 Posts
Hi,

I wanted to canvass views from fellow Kia e-Niro 4+ drivers out there as we are having a problem with the climate control on our recently delivered e-Niro. We placed the order at the start of August and had it delivered two weeks ago - it is a beautiful car and fantastic to drive but as far as I can see the CC just does not work on ours. We have had it checked out by the dealership and they say the diagnostic tests are all fine so we are now contemplating our next steps.

Let me describe the scenario.

If we pre-warm the vehicle via the remote to any temperature eg 22 deg, 23 ... doesn't matter which ... up to 27 deg (the maximum) the cabin heats up and is at the correct temperature when we get it but thereafter once we start the car and drive, with the CC set to Auto, the temperature just drops back to a bit above the outside temperature (which at present in the UK means it is around 16 deg inside the car - which gets pretty cold after a while). The heat just never seems to come back on - regardless of the state of the 'Heat' button/indicator on the panel - it seems to just blow out unheated air.

If we don't pre-warm the car it behaves similarly in Auto - it heats up to the selected temperature when we start and then switches off and never comes back on. Using just the AC and not the Auo CC is the same.

To me this just sounds broken - a problem with the heating system. I would be interested in hearing anyone else's experience!

Thanks!
What mode are you driving in?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
We have had it checked out by the dealership and they say the diagnostic tests are all fine so we are now contemplating our next steps.

[...]

once we start the car and drive, with the CC set to Auto, the temperature just drops back to a bit above the outside temperature (which at present in the UK means it is around 16 deg inside the car - which gets pretty cold after a while). The heat just never seems to come back on - regardless of the state of the 'Heat' button/indicator on the panel - it seems to just blow out unheated air.
So yet another car dealer whose idea of troubleshooting is "computer says everything is fine!" but failed to notice that the car doesn't blow hot air when you turn the heater on ?

Sheesh.... apparently car dealers have no common sense or ability to troubleshoot outside of reading fault codes on a diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So yet another car dealer whose idea of troubleshooting is "computer says everything is fine!" but failed to notice that the car doesn't blow hot air when you turn the heater on ?

Sheesh.... apparently car dealers have no common sense or ability to troubleshoot outside of reading fault codes on a diagnostic tool.
Yeah v annoying :mad:

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
My Soul EV keeps the interior at my selected temperature (22degC). I use the climate control in Auto mode.
I drive in Eco mode but have customised the drive settings to give me full HVAC (same as Normal mode).
In fact the cabin heating is so good that I often turn the temp down to 21degC during the journey!
The air coming out of the vents isn't very warm but the car doesn't feel cold or draughty.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
906 Posts
@Bruce Smith Please forgive me as you likely will know this but I thought it worth a mention, just in case.
With a climate controlled car heaters, it is normal for the heat vents to sometimes blow relatively cool air, and throttle back the blower fan once the heating set temperature has been reached. Unlike non thermostatic heaters which tend to just blow a fixed degree of warmth always. Have you confirmed that the cabin really is at a low temperature with a thermometer placed at head height or something?

One thing I have definitely noticed since getting this car is that frequently my feet and legs are chilly whilst my face feels a little too hot or even slightly stifled (Auto heat mode, target set 21°). I would have liked to be able to blow cooler air towards my face but warmer to the footwell. My previous 3 cars had CC also but didn’t give me this cold legs feeling ever. I can live with it and don’t think I have a fault, it’s just one of those things I reckon.

You haven’t got it set to driver heat zone only have you? Are you leaving it set to Auto without overriding anything? If you turn the target knob up to max temperature, are you still too cold? If so there’s definitely something wrong.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
564 Posts
Set drive mode to Normal, climate control to Auto and temperature to 23 degrees and check again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Bruce Smith Please forgive me as you likely will know this but I thought it worth a mention, just in case.
With a climate controlled car heaters, it is normal for the heat vents to sometimes blow relatively cool air, and throttle back the blower fan once the heating set temperature has been reached. Unlike non thermostatic heaters which tend to just blow a fixed degree of warmth always. Have you confirmed that the cabin really is at a low temperature with a thermometer placed at head height or something?

One thing I have definitely noticed since getting this car is that frequently my feet and legs are chilly whilst my face feels a little too hot or even slightly stifled (Auto heat mode, target set 21°). I would have liked to be able to blow cooler air towards my face but warmer to the footwell. My previous 3 cars had CC also but didn’t give me this cold legs feeling ever. I can live with it and don’t think I have a fault, it’s just one of those things I reckon.

You haven’t got it set to driver heat zone only have you? Are you leaving it set to Auto without overriding anything? If you turn the target knob up to max temperature, are you still too cold? If so there’s definitely something wrong.

Cheers

Peter
Yep - it seems to heat to the desired temperature and then only blowout unheated air - it drops to 10deg below the target temperature. Just weird.
I think some of the other replies may have nailed it though - I will try later setting the CC mode for ECO driving to 'Normal' in the settings (don't know where that is yet though ...) - sounds like that could be the solution.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would also try Manual mode (non-AUTO) and send air to feet and cabin.
Heating should be more consistent in Manual mode.

If Manual mode works ok, then maybe some temp sensor in the cabin (utilised in AUTO mode) is covered or broken.

·
Super Moderator
7,477 Posts
What temperature are you selecting from the cabin controls? Does the power screen show the heating is using any power?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Question to the OP: why do you drive in Eco mode at all? AFAIK all it does is reduce throttle response, set standard regen to 2 and diminish performance of HVAC. I recommend to use Normal always aond configure it with the regen setting of your choice. It is nice to have the extra power when you need it, and not get the spongy feeling of Eco when trying to overtake or merging into the fast lane. Sports mode I feel is a bit skittish and useful just to impress male petrolhead friends. But Normal is fine for everyday use and has zero efficiency penalty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts