Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we took delivery of our 4+ one month ago, we have a pod point at home from previous vehicle.
No matter whether charged via pod point of 3pin plug at 100% charge the range shown is between 257 and 262, it never reaches the advertised 282. There are no accessories on such as A/C, heater, heated seats etc - have any other 4+ owners experienced same?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
... range shown is between 257 and 262, it never reaches the advertised 282....
Probably the same situation as in this thread. See this post, & previous entries.
ID3 Charging Issues
When you bought a petrol car, and the mfr claimed 45 mpg, they never warned you that you'd only get 35 in winter, did they? Same thing happening really. Colder air is denser, so more drag. Damp roads increase tyre-adhesion to water molecules, so more drag. Wet ones even worse, lots of energy pumping water aside at high speed. Colder tyres are stiffer, so more energy lost forcing the sidewalls & tread to deflect as you drive. Colder batteries hold less charge so that's like you petrol tank shrinking in the cold! More use of heater/air con saps power from battery.
Otoh seems Kia & Hyundai do not bother warming the HV battery as you drive off in winter, while the ID.3 does (which saves you losing even more I expect!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for the replies but this issue is not about driving style!
At rest (before driving) at 100% charge (with the charger still attached) the max range displayed is 257 and not the advertised 282! Its 10degrees in my garage this AM so not a really a temp issue either! I know (as this is our third EV) that I will never achieve 282miles of real-world driving. BUT if we start out with nearly 10% less initial range does it mean we'll have 10% less real-world driving range?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
The range you'll get is the range you'll get. Doesn't matter what the trip computer guesses the range might be.

If you want it to show 282, drive like a nun in warm temperatures for a few hundred miles with no accessories on, and it'll assume you're going to continue in that style. But it doesn't change how far you'll actually get.

Which EV did you have before? Maybe its trip computer is more reliable, or more suited to your driving style, or was better at predicting temperature.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
So if I read right, you've had the car a month, and therefore done 100, 500, 1000 miles ?
Per mad_rich the Guess o Meter will take a while to adjust, especially if the car was driven motorway hard in the Oct/Nov colder spell before you came to have it -- which you won't know about !

I think more interesting will be to see what consumption you're getting from the vehicle now you've had it a bit.
eg the mile/kWh debates about 3.5 up to 5.
As it's your third EV what did you get out of those previous, compared to this car ?

Also if you drive 25miles does the range drop by 25 or drops a lot more ?
If it says 257 miles range and after 25 miles it says 240 left then you know you're doing well and over time that 257 should grow (I think if you've done 1000 miles since getting then yes you know your roads, your style )

I am also smelling a concern that the battery in your car is not taking on the 64kW you're expecting when at 100%, and therefore can't go as far as you were reasonably expecting it to.
Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy way for the average user to check how much charge it's holding when it finishes drinking --- unlike the 12bars(?) thing on a Leaf for example, or getting some bluetooth-dongle app.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
My Kona is now showing a theory 100% range of 270 vs best 318 I had in early September --- same person driving same roads same style.
But the GOM does seem to drop still within a mile or so of the distances I am covering.
ie drive 40miles it drops 41-42.

Frustrating for you I am sure ---- there is not a way for the driver to tell the computer to fully re-zero, so that so you can re teach it immediately

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
The GOM is a bit of a random number generator.

My Zoe (238 WLTP) was showing 120 miles off 50% yesterday, after a week of motorway driving at 3 degrees with the heating cranked up to Tropical! No chance!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
It's all about how you drive, how fast you drive and the conditions. For each journey you can see what the Mi/kWh was. There's an average that's built up over time. This longer term average is what the GOM uses. I would note the Niro Guess-O-Meter is really very good, and doesn't seem to have the random nature other EV drivers complain of.

If you're managing 4mi/kWh at this time of year, that's pretty good and means you have a range of about 256 miles based on taking the 64kWh battery to reported empty. So that fits perfectly with what your car is showing.

When the temperature is low I believe there's some battery heating going on. Certainly the first few miles I'm lucky to get 3mi/kWh. So if you've been doing lots of short journeys this time of year that will bring your average right down.

To get 280 odd miles range you need to achieve 4.4mi/kWh or better... which you can do, even at this time of year. On a recent journey driving in the wet at night, ambient temp of 5 degrees, with heating, cruise set at 70 (average of 60mph over 127 miles) I got 4mi/kWh, which is really excellent given I was making none of my usual concessions to economy. If I'd dropped my speed down to 55 or thereabouts, gone steady, I reckon I could manage 4.5mi/kWh in those conditions.

The same journey in October when it was dry and a bit warmer, cruise set to 55 I got 5.2mi/kWh - which would be a range of 332 miles. Favourable conditions with a tail wind and you could do even better if you needed to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.