Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
waiting on delivery of above and am really excited, trying to find out some info in advance though so am prepared when it arrives and really hoping someone who has similar model can help :)

1. Does the EV Charging points (live view) tell you if the charger is available and in use, or does it just consider the closest to you?

2. Can you connect more than 1 phone to the blue tooth (have company and personal phone)

3. The live speed camera alerts, do they require your phone to be connected to work - heard multiple stories on this

4. What is average range on a 90% charge (going down to 20%) if driving @ 70 mph (did ask this on another post and had some helpful replies but as I ask all my questions again looking for views)

5. I will have a 7,4 kw charger installed at my home so will charge to 90% each night - can you set the car to constantly charge to 90% between certain hours - IE it always stays at 90% and if it drops below it will charge during these times only? helps with the Octopus tariff

6. What is the reliance like on the mileage check - is it quite reliable? IE if you pull away fast at a roundabout or to overtake does the mileage suddenly drop and then recover I assume?

Sorry for all the questions, love the car but nervous re the motorway driving and at 70 mph (75 on display) how it really handles this - my commute is 40 miles each way with all motorway speeds so I know it can handle this easily but its more if I go to the coast (300 mile round trip) how many times would I have to recharge - once/twice etc and this is ?

Thanks so much and any other advice for a new EV driver and new Kia E-Niro 4+.... looking forward to it but any videos/links etc most useful, I check youtube but its more about the car interior/exterior then any of the questions I have above

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
waiting on delivery of above and am really excited, trying to find out some info in advance though so am prepared when it arrives and really hoping someone who has similar model can help :)

1. Does the EV Charging points (live view) tell you if the charger is available and in use, or does it just consider the closest to you?

2. Can you connect more than 1 phone to the blue tooth (have company and personal phone)

3. The live speed camera alerts, do they require your phone to be connected to work - heard multiple stories on this

4. What is average range on a 90% charge (going down to 20%) if driving @ 70 mph (did ask this on another post and had some helpful replies but as I ask all my questions again looking for views)

5. I will have a 7,4 kw charger installed at my home so will charge to 90% each night - can you set the car to constantly charge to 90% between certain hours - IE it always stays at 90% and if it drops below it will charge during these times only? helps with the Octopus tariff

6. What is the reliance like on the mileage check - is it quite reliable? IE if you pull away fast at a roundabout or to overtake does the mileage suddenly drop and then recover I assume?

Sorry for all the questions, love the car but nervous re the motorway driving and at 70 mph (75 on display) how it really handles this - my commute is 40 miles each way with all motorway speeds so I know it can handle this easily but its more if I go to the coast (300 mile round trip) how many times would I have to recharge - once/twice etc and this is ?

Thanks so much and any other advice for a new EV driver and new Kia E-Niro 4+.... looking forward to it but any videos/links etc most useful, I check youtube but its more about the car interior/exterior then any of the questions I have above

Thanks
Points 1 and 3. Use android auto or Apple Carplay for the map. Use Zapmap for the charge points, it'll give you basic info of free chargers. Only Tesla can do proper charge point availability with navigation.

Point 2. Not sure, but you can make life easier and get a dual sim phone with work profile.

4. Average range will be different in summer and winter, rain and gradients of the trip (unless you live somewhere flat). You'll find that one direction of a trip will use more energy than the other. Just charge every two days and you'll be fine. Long trips up the limit to 100% and charge once.

6. The GOM (Guess O Meter) looks at previous driving and energy usage and makes an estimate. You'll find that the KIA is pretty accurate and 0 will be 0 unlike some others cars that keep a buffer at 0.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts

Thanks
I have a 4, which is missing a few bits but think I can answer most of your questions accurately.

1: no. It doesn’t have any live status information at present. Kia could add this later. Use Zap-Map, or the network’s own app for this information. I’ve found the Kia find a charger function to be questionable. There’s an Instavolt near me that only appear occasionally. It’s weird I don’t use it.

2: yes but not simultaneously. Also you can either use Bluetooth or CarPlay/android auto. You can’t have one phone on Bluetooth and the other on CarPlay for example.

3: can’t comment on this one. Don’t use them. However it’s probably linked in with the traffic info via Tom Tom (i think) and the car’s head unit has its own sim and cellular comms. It doesn’t use your phone at all.

4: depends on weather and topography. I’ve found recently driving at 70 gives me 3.4-3.9 Mi/kWh. Can’t remember the figures, you’d have to do the maths to work it out. I have done a return journey of 253miles, setting off with 90%, matching traffic speed on the way and driving very gently on the return leg. Got home home with 30miles left.

5: you can set the car’s off-peak charge schedule and then choose only off-peak or prioritise off-peak. Works alongside setting a departure time. It will only charge outside the window if it needs to.

6: the guess-o-meter, GOM as referred to often on this forum, is really good. It needs to calibrate to the average Mi/kWh you get but I’ve found it really reliable. The miles available drops by pretty much precisely the miles I’ve covered. It does depend how consistent your driving style is.

It all depends how you drive and the weather. No things are warming up, heading off down rural roads and around North Yorkshire, I’m getting 4.9-5.2 mi/kWh. That’s largely because I’m driving pretty slowly on these roads, the car’s sweet spot is around 50-55. Incredibly efficient just there.

You’ll do a very comfortable 220 miles in most circumstances and quickly get used to what the car can do. In favourable conditions, driven gently you can do over 300 miles on a charge. Drive hard into a headwind in the wet and it will be a different story.

The general advice, and specifically mentioned in the handbook, is to charge the car to 100% on your home charger about once a month. I probably manage that every 6 weeks maybe. It’s to do with battery calibration and cell balancing so reasonably important long term. Also an obvious thing to do before a long trip. Note the last few percent can take quite a long time as the charge rate slows down.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
That 300 miles leisure round trip, one charge. If there are destination chargers, perfect. You can plug it in for a few hours while it’s parked. Otherwise you would likely only need 20 mins on a rapid.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice
Shame re the live charger availability

I do have zap map but was not sure how I get all that to the car but assume I will figure that out when it arrives.

I remember on the demo seeing the list of nearby chargers so I am unsure how I change that to zapmap

Thanks again

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
Kia may improve their in car charger finding wotnot but until then I’d just plan ahead, using Zap-Map or A Better Route Planner to work out where you want to stop then plot that in your route using either the built in nav or your phone. Charging points will be available in apple maps and google maps for the UK soon enough I’d expect. Then you can do everything with phone nav.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, the bit I was worried about is planning it bur then turning up and it not working or already be in use
And then you have to replace everything
I really don't want to have to stop at a 7ke charger when on a run as it will take hours so planning in the rapid on motorways to get the 50 kW charger but how do I know its available and working which I thought would be built into the app somewhere but doesn't sound like it is so just going to be trial and error I think

Suppose I an nervous if I run to 20% and then can't find a charger it will cause me to panic

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV
32 Posts
I have a Soul, but in theory it is the same infotainment system.

It shows the charging points but not as available and in use detail. Also I noticed that on the shortcut list, it doesn't display Podpoint chargers. In the shortcut charger list, it only shows the chargers with green status (I don't know what it means). If you go through all the submenus in the Navigation, then you see all the PodPoints and the others with 'gray' status...

So, in short, don't rely on it, just check with Zap-Map, Plugshare...etc

I think you can connect a second phone for music source only, not as a hands-free phone. I remember a menu item for that in the sound settings...

It uses the sim already in the car and 'Kia Live' thingy for it, not your phone connection. Also, you can turn the alert on/off, adjust volume and warning distance from the menus...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've just recently done the latest infotainment update, and whilst looking through I do believe that it has LIVE charger status.
I will look again later and see if I can get a pic.

Reactions: stevepil

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, I can confirm the new update has live charger status via kia live.
I checked it with zap nap and it was the same.
Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much, that is really helpful
Is this the list view that sits on screen to show your closest charger from where you current are or is this a different screen

Thanks so much for checking, it sounded crazy this wasn't considered by kia but sounds like they may have sorted it now

Just hopefully car comes with latest software or is it easy to update

Thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, it can be distance or alphabetical.
Highly unlikely it will come with latest software. It is easy to do. Look at the e-niro forum for latest update.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Suppose I an nervous if I run to 20% and then can't find a charger it will cause me to panic
In the e-Niro that's 40 or 50 miles of range to go hunting for chargers!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
That’s great. Didn’t realise it was live info as I basically haven’t needed to use it.

I get what you’re saying @stevepil regarding getting there and the charger being down or busy…. That’s why it’s worth always having at least one other option. The two notes of caution I’d sound are: as I mentioned earlier the nearest instavolt to me often doesn’t appear on the list. I don’t know why this is but it doesn’t inspire confidence. My limited experience of BP Pulse is of a faulty rapid charger with a broken CCS cable that showed as available even though they knew it was faulty. Busy data should be pretty good but In general I don’t rely on information from the charging networks as it can be junk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts