Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to use ABRP for when I get the e-Niro (in a few weeks), and I would like to get live data from the car into it.
Has anyone successfully made that link?
I read that with the EVNotify app and an OBD2 Bluetooth it should be feasible, but I wonder what OBD dongle to get...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Related question: the ODB port is millimetres from the fuse box cover, and therefore there is no space to keep an ODB2 dongle permanently (or you need to live with the cover off). Has anyone found a trick? I’m thinking of maybe altering that plastic cover to carve a dongle-shaped hole, but am reluctant.

does anyone know maybe where I could purchase a replacement part for that door?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Warning: if you leave anything permanently connected you risk problems with the auxiliary battery because the battery saver doesn't like it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Some newer BT dongles go into a super low power state when not communicating. They utilise Bluetooth LE state for standby mode, just switching to normal power BT when handling data. This type should in theory be ok left permanently plugged in. I have one for my Prius and intend to try it with EVNotify app and ENiro eventually.

It sounds a bit drastic to cut a hole in the fuse cover IMO. You would regret it when trying to sell the car on. Also you might want to remove the dongle when it goes in for servicing. The dealership will frown on stuff like that. It’s better they don’t know I reckon. Can’t you keep the original cover intact and fabricate a modified one somehow? Maybe even 3D printing could be used?
Or just leave the cover off.

As said, you must be very careful to ensure anything left plugged in draws zero or very small current when car is not in use.

Peter

·
Registered
372 Posts
Some dongles power off automatically while others have a manual button. The port is always powered but data is only present when the system is in run, charge or utility modes. Best to have one that powers off automatically.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There are a couple of threads about this knocking around. A couple have 3d printed a new cover with a space for the obd to stick out. I took a different view, the obd connecter can be unclipped and pushed back a bit, I then used a extension cable with a swith on to connect the obd to, it then sits under the steering column. As John said don't leave it on all time hence the switch to turn it on when needed.
20200124_131111.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
Cable, loads on ebay or amazon, yeh looks like the type I have. Unclip is easy, the clips are on the side, they are a bit hard to see, but just needs a bit of pressure to release, like any clip in item.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts