Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Kia e-Niro - any questions?

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Editor@SmartHomeCharge 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm due to have a Kia e-Niro on loan from Kia next month. I already have a few plans for videos and guides when I'm using it but I want to know what others want to know.

So, let me know here if you have any particular questions you'd like answering about the e-Niro or if there's something specific you'd like me to test/look out for.

Can't promise I'll make a whole video about it, but it will help understand what people actually want to know.

Cheers!
Danny

#4 ·
Yes, the price is something I'll take into consideration. The year long wait - well, I think this has been discussed on other threads but a combination of unexpected demand and low battery supply would do it.

I have even heard some say the manufacturers are deliberately waiting until 2020 but that's beyond my expertise and knowledge.

#5 ·
On cost - when I was comparing the TM3 it was £38,480 I think compared with about £33,450 for the e-Niro.
The Tesla also fell into the luxury car tax, adding extra cost. Since then both the TM3 and e-Niro have gone up in price. They are quite different cars and perhaps more relevant is why the e-Niro is almost £10k more than the MG ZS EV - does 20+ extra in the battery justify this?
Both companies suffer poor customer service.
As posted elsewhere the suspicion is that Kia like others are constraining supply until next year. But good luck trying to get an honest answer from them - I am still waiting for the CEO to respond after several months. However, when the car does arrive it is a very good EV

#9 ·
On cost - when I was comparing the TM3 it was £38,480 I think compared with about £33,450 for the e-Niro.
The Tesla also fell into the luxury car tax, adding extra cost
And not only that, the cost of servicing is around 500 vs 120 for the e-niro (estimates I have gathered from various videos and blogs) and the insurance group is 50(?)
so over 4 years or so the tesla ends up being much more closer to 10k more then 5k.

#8 ·
im keen on seeing some real world demonstrations of the lane follow assist and dynamic cruise control. Seeing it cope with actualy situations like in traffic, coming to a complete stop, starting again, other cars cutting in, how it behaves on roads other then motorways. Does it negatively effect amount of regen using cruise control.

#10 ·
On motorways the adaptive cruise control works very well and yes it will bring the car to a stop if necessary. Just occasionally when there are bends on roads for example dual carriageways I have found the car slowing because it has locked on to a vehicle in the inside lane. It is just a momentary thing and a touch of the accelerator pedal sorts it out.
I don’t like the lane assist- the peeps warning you of straying are ok but it has not given me enough confidence to use it fully - frankly if I have to keep my hands on the wheel I am not sure what use it is.

#11 ·
Interesting - I'll pay a closer look to the adaptive cruise, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

RE price, obviously it is a consideration but I also want to test and review the car on its own merit too. I do understand some of the opinions voiced when it comes to the price of the e-Niro.

#12 ·
Update: I've had the Kia e-Niro 64kWh for a week and I thought it was excellent. Full video review coming soon, but I wanted to update on the adaptive cruise control. It works really well and I used it a lot - I found the assisted steering really useful too. Not quite autopilot levels of quality, but I found it a genuinely helpful feature. In start/stop traffic it can be a little "jolty" and the braking can be quite aggressive, as is the lift off. It didn't bother me, but my girlfriend hated it! Ultimately depends on how much you like the system in the first place as to whether this is something you can overlook.

#13 ·
interesting you mentioned the braking, it was something that felt a little wierd in our test drive but I dismissed it as 'something i'll get used to'. We subsequently just had a test drive of the model 3 and the drive was so enjoyable, braking felt a lot better, to the point where we ended up ordering it. We are still a little on the fence, they are both due at a similar time, so we have a few months to still decide.

#17 ·
I find you don’t need to use the brakes very much driving in urban areas when using regen 3 setting.
Had some Goodyear All season tyres fitted today. They are as expected a bit noisier than the standard Michelin tyres - a bit more of a swishing noise. Will be interesting to see how they perform this winter. I have usually fitted winter tyres to my cars but the reviews of all weather / all season tyres have been positive so I thought I would give them a try. This Goodyear tyre recently came out top in an Auto Express test. (Vector 4season Gen 2).
Interesting Kia were unable to say which tyres they would recommend. They just said go for a premium brand.

#20 ·
Thanks ever so much.

Well, at the risk of ruining my reputation and future video reviews, I collect my Tesla Model 3 next week.

In my video, I guess what I was getting at was the e-Niro is a head choice but not a heart choice. If I could afford it, I'd love it on my drive... Just not in place of the Tesla.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.