Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having a dilemma about keeping my current e-Niro order or jumping ship to the Kona. Part of this is probably just me thinking aloud but I'd be interested in people's thoughts.
Also I have considered other options like the Leaf and Tesla or waiting for the ID.3 etc. but I'm pretty happy with one of these two choices.

For context (and to save people looking up the spec):
e-Niro (£34,495 after grant)
Kona Premium SE (£37,450 after grant)
Both are 64kWh and effectively perform the same, although I note several reviews rate the ride of the e-Niro to be better.

I am looking to own the car long term (I.E. either as HP or through a bank loan etc) and will hopefully be starting a family at somepoint in the next 5 years so it needs to be practical.

Main benefits (IMO) of the Kona:
  • Blind Spot Detection with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Heated and Ventilated front seats and heated rear seats
  • HUD
  • Intelligent Speed Limit Warning
  • 11kW 3-Phase AC Charging
  • 10 Year Map Updates
  • 5 Year Unlimited Mile Warranty
  • 8 Year Battery Warranty
Main benefits (IMO) of the e-Niro
  • 7 Year Warranty (OK only 100,000 miles but unlikely to exceed that)
  • 100 litre greater boot space
  • More rear leg room
  • Subjectively better interior and instrument cluster design
It seems like the Kona has more toys and an arguably better warranty depending on how you look at it but it is £3,000 more expensive plus an additional £310 a year for the first 5 years due to the luxury car tax (£1,550 total).
That said the e-Niro seems like the more practical of the two and the boot space is a concern.
Unfortunately I've not been able to test drive a Kona Electric but I very much enjoyed driving the e-Niro.
Unhelpfully I can't even put a deposit down and change my mind later, Hyundai have said that once I've ordered I'm effectively committed (unless I want to loose the deposit)
I've read and watched endless reviews and just can't decide!

People of SpeakEV, can you voice an opinion?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
You could get a lower spec Kona to get a more comparable price and spec. (Yeah, not so much fun.)
But
will hopefully be starting a family at somepoint in the next 5 years so it needs to be practical.
does rather favour the Kia. By the time you've got pushchair and the 3 cubic metres of other junk that seems to be required to support babies these days (astronauts do spacewalks with less!) The Kona boot may have you frustrated.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,600 Posts
Or maybe the forthcoming 64kwh Soul EV could be an option thats sized between the two and will be a smidge under 34k?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or maybe the forthcoming 64kwh Soul EV could be an option thats sized between the two and will be a smidge under 34k?
That is in the back of my mind but it has less boot space than the Kona!
But it does have many of the toys missing from the e-Niro...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I looked at the Niro and decided it was too big for me, and having had a Soul for two years and been happy with the space, ordered another, but in your position OP I'd go for the Niro because
1. More space, which you say you need
2 Substantially cheaper
3 A well regarded car so it will likely hold its value well.

Also, re the Kona plus points,
is 11Kw really a benefit? Where would you use that? Do you have 3-phase at home?
Heated rear seats. is that really a biggie?
10 year map updates - you'd do better with car play or android and use Waze.
HUD - the Soul will come with that but I'm not sure I'll end up using it.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the Niro and decided it was too big for me, and having had a Soul for two years and been happy with the space, ordered another, but in your position OP I'd go for the Niro because
1. More space, which you say you need
2 Substantially cheaper
3 A well regarded car so it will likely hold its value well.

Also, re the Kona plus points,
is 11Kw really a benefit? Where would you use that? Do you have 3-phase at home?
Heated rear seats. is that really a biggie?
10 year map updates - you'd do better with car play or android and use Waze.
HUD - the Soul will come with that but I'm not sure I'll end up using it.
All valid points, I do keep looking at the Soul but I do have concerns with regards to the boot space, I currently have a Toyota Auris with 337L of boot space (compared to the Soul's 315L) that I sometimes struggle with!
That said the Soul does have good space with the seats down from the Spec, but I suppose there's potentially an issue there if I need to have a car seat in the back...

In regards to the 11kW, potentially no, I'm thinking more on the out and about front, but then anywhere with greater than 7kW AC seems likely to have DC charging anyway.
Heated rear seats aren't that important but I wouldn't mind the ventilated front seats! But then the ability to pre-condition the interior may negate that for the most part anyway.
Having tried Android Auto in a Fiesta the other day I'm inclined to agree, much better than in car navigation for sure.
I've always quite liked the idea of a HUD as it helps keeps your eyes on the road but have to say I've never quite been sure if it's simply a novelty, particularly as Smart Cruise Control is likely to help on motorways etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a driver with both a Kona electric and a young-ish family (6 and 8). I would say get the Niro - given the amount we used to lug around then the boot of the Kona would be a challenge - particularly for a pushchair/buggy.
We're a tall family and the Kona is still perfectly comfortable for everyone but there isn't much room to spare in the back e.g. we were all comfortable driving from Norwich -> Edinburgh for 4/5 days.
The Niro does 100kW DC where the Kona does 70something if I remember

·
Zoe Devotee
8,964 Posts
eNiro definitely over Kona, its too small (especially boot).

Curve ball, have you tried the MG ZS EV yet? Bigger, a ton more space, a whole heap cheaper, but less range and less goodies.

Reactions: Freelancer

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a driver with both a Kona electric and a young-ish family (6 and 8). I would say get the Niro - given the amount we used to lug around then the boot of the Kona would be a challenge - particularly for a pushchair/buggy.
We're a tall family and the Kona is still perfectly comfortable for everyone but there isn't much room to spare in the back e.g. we were all comfortable driving from Norwich -> Edinburgh for 4/5 days.
Good to know, thanks. Also neat blog post! :)

eNiro definitely over Kona, its too small (especially boot).

Curve ball, have you tried the MG ZS EV yet? Bigger, a ton more space, a whole heap cheaper, but less range and less goodies.
I haven't tried it, didn't even know it existed to be honest!
Just looked and I think I'd worry about the range, although the price is hard to argue with for sure.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The 2 cars obviously have their similarities and share the same powertrain (different battery suppliers, but who knows at thus stage which supplier will prove best?).

I'd suggest buying with your heart. The 2 cars have been aimed at different markets - one is a conservative, practical family car, the other is fun, quirky and more outgoing. The Niro is obviously a bit bigger, otherwise I think it's mostly a matter of taste.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The Kona was originally announced with 100kW, but this was an error, and it's actually about 75kW max. AIUI the e-Niro has most of the same parts, so maybe the 100kw is a similar error
This video shows it a little over 70 on a 200kw charger

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Yes, Niro will peak at about 75kW, same as the Kona.
The cars are basically the same. Build qualities is similar and I thought the Kona looked and felt better than the Niro. Kona suspension is a little firmer.

Kona is more efficient, its slight bit in the winter the small car will get a few more miles per charge especially at higher speeds which is what you usually have on longer trips when you need the range.
The boot in the Kona is nearly identical to a Golf.
The Niro is bigger and takes more stuff.

I had both briefly and kept the Niro because of the space but would have kept the Kona if I didn't need the extra room.

·
Registered
645 Posts
To add a couple more points that I personally felt. I found the road noise slightly less in the Niro and there is much more sense of space in the cabin.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 2 cars obviously have their similarities and share the same powertrain (different battery suppliers, but who knows at thus stage which supplier will prove best?).

I'd suggest buying with your heart. The 2 cars have been aimed at different markets - one is a conservative, practical family car, the other is fun, quirky and more outgoing. The Niro is obviously a bit bigger, otherwise I think it's mostly a matter of taste.
It does seem to come back to that, though my heart tells me get all the toys but my head goes, be sensible you fool!

Yes, Niro will peak at about 75kW, same as the Kona.
The cars are basically the same. Build qualities is similar and I thought the Kona looked and felt better than the Niro. Kona suspension is a little firmer.

Kona is more efficient, its slight bit in the winter the small car will get a few more miles per charge especially at higher speeds which is what you usually have on longer trips when you need the range.
The boot in the Kona is nearly identical to a Golf.
The Niro is bigger and takes more stuff.

I had both briefly and kept the Niro because of the space but would have kept the Kona if I didn't need the extra room.
I've not actually been in a Kona yet, going for a test drive in the Hybrid version tomorrow so I can at least get a feel for the interior.

To add a couple more points that I personally felt. I found the road noise slightly less in the Niro and there is much more sense of space in the cabin.
Very much enjoyed the feeling in the cabin of the e-Niro for sure, didn't feel nearly as cramped as my Auris does.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The Kona was originally announced with 100kW, but this was an error, and it's actually about 75kW max. AIUI the e-Niro has most of the same parts, so maybe the 100kw is a similar error
This video shows it a little over 70 on a 200kw charger
On an ionity 350 kw max achieved today at 7 Celsius is 58kw on a Kona

·
Registered
41 Posts
It does seem to come back to that, though my heart tells me get all the toys but my head goes, be sensible you fool!

I've not actually been in a Kona yet, going for a test drive in the Hybrid version tomorrow so I can at least get a feel for the interior.

Very much enjoyed the feeling in the cabin of the e-Niro for sure, didn't feel nearly as cramped as my Auris does.
Don't think this has been mentioned but I think based on the prices you quoted at the start of the thread the E Niro will be nil ved after the first year the kona will attract the £320 ved annually from year 2-5 as its list price (pre grant) will exceed the £40k threshold. Not be a decider but worth bearing in mind

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't think this has been mentioned but I think based on the prices you quoted at the start of the thread the E Niro will be nil ved after the first year the kona will attract the £320 ved annually from year 2-5 as its list price (pre grant) will exceed the £40k threshold. Not be a decider but worth bearing in mind
Yeah, that thought had occurred to me as ultimately it adds £1,600 (basically half the grant) to the list price. £320 a year buys a lot of electricity...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts