Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
So I'm having a dilemma about keeping my current e-Niro order or jumping ship to the Kona. Part of this is probably just me thinking aloud but I'd be interested in people's thoughts.
Also I have considered other options like the Leaf and Tesla or waiting for the ID.3 etc. but I'm pretty happy with one of these two choices.

For context (and to save people looking up the spec):
e-Niro (£34,495 after grant)
Kona Premium SE (£37,450 after grant)
Both are 64kWh and effectively perform the same, although I note several reviews rate the ride of the e-Niro to be better.

I am looking to own the car long term (I.E. either as HP or through a bank loan etc) and will hopefully be starting a family at somepoint in the next 5 years so it needs to be practical.

Main benefits (IMO) of the Kona:
  • Blind Spot Detection with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Heated and Ventilated front seats and heated rear seats
  • HUD
  • Intelligent Speed Limit Warning
  • 11kW 3-Phase AC Charging
  • 10 Year Map Updates
  • 5 Year Unlimited Mile Warranty
  • 8 Year Battery Warranty
Main benefits (IMO) of the e-Niro
  • 7 Year Warranty (OK only 100,000 miles but unlikely to exceed that)
  • 100 litre greater boot space
  • More rear leg room
  • Subjectively better interior and instrument cluster design
It seems like the Kona has more toys and an arguably better warranty depending on how you look at it but it is £3,000 more expensive plus an additional £310 a year for the first 5 years due to the luxury car tax (£1,550 total).
That said the e-Niro seems like the more practical of the two and the boot space is a concern.
Unfortunately I've not been able to test drive a Kona Electric but I very much enjoyed driving the e-Niro.
Unhelpfully I can't even put a deposit down and change my mind later, Hyundai have said that once I've ordered I'm effectively committed (unless I want to loose the deposit)
I've read and watched endless reviews and just can't decide!

People of SpeakEV, can you voice an opinion?
Having had an e-Niro for 3 months, now (admittedly First Edition) I'd say go for that unless not having any of the listed benefits of the Kona are a deal breaker for you. It's cheaper, bigger, rides better and (IMHO) just an all round great car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't have a Kona reservation but I do have an E-Niro order (due in June)
I would some of the features in the Kona, but having measured the boot space in the Hybrid model I'm not quite sure if going to be practical enough.
Not only that but I saw an E-Niro outside of work the other day, I'm totally taking that as a sign...
There is a lot of room in the boot if the ko a taken up by the foam packing I have not removed it but am sure if you did the space is I creased massively

·
Registered
151 Posts
We originally ordered the e niro over the kona , due to boot space and rear passenger space. Although I did prefer the look of the Kona. But last month I ended up cancelling and going with the Model 3.

Boot may not be as practical in all cases but was very deep and more useful for my requirements.

If your realistically considering going for the more expensive Kona then you need to throw the model 3 SR+ into the mix at only a few k more. A better drive, access to super charger , much deeper boot, over the air updates etc

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought the range of the £40k model 3 is a lot less than the Kona? I know that doesn't affect everyone but it's certainly a big consideration for me, and the only reason I still have the Niro.
ah yes that is a factor you need to consider. Your looking at 280 vs 250 I think (?) although from what I have seen from owner comments is that Model 3 gives well below this where as the Niro at least , seems to be quite consistent.

for my own use case, where a longer journey is less frequent, range was acceptable. Having access to a Tesla supercharger and faster charging was preferable to longer range / slower charging on the road.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The Kona is not really practical if you are going to have anyone bigger than a teenager in the back on anything more than occasionally

The Kona is not really practical if you need to lug around buggies or prams and all the related parifanlia

The Kona really suits couples or short families

If it fits your parameters personally I feel its a better car than the Niro but if you need any of the above you are far better with the niro

First car I have ever kept more than a year and now approaching 55k miles I cannot find anything I would trade the Kona for. But saying that I paid £32k (after grant) for the launch version fully loaded certainly would not pay over £40k before grant for it now sticking it in luxury ved rate.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
We have now done 20k miles in our Kona Premium. We are delighted with it but were lucky to get it at the original price. Have had the eNiro on extended test drive and thought it was also excellent. Given the Kona price rise, I would probably go for the Niro particularly if we needed the extra room. Find the Niro a bit bland to look at and prefer the interior of the Kona, but Niro ride is better and now better value.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
ah yes that is a factor you need to consider. Your looking at 280 vs 250 I think (?) although from what I have seen from owner comments is that Model 3 gives well below this where as the Niro at least , seems to be quite consistent.
I was thinking battery size of 50kW in M3 v 64 in Niro/Kona must make quite a difference. My wife had a 225 mile round trip in the Niro yesterday and stopped to charge on the way home as it was looking quite tight. She wasn't driving fast, CC set at 60-65mph apparently, and it was heavy traffic around Cambridge with all the road works, and slow as usual. It was raining on the way home but not really cold yet. Unlikley to get 250 miles on a motorway run this time of year, but can't imagine the M3 would be getting 200 miles on the same run.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
There is a lot of room in the boot if the ko a taken up by the foam packing I have not removed it but am sure if you did the space is I creased massively
Having watched a few videos of people doing this it does improve things and lets you lower the floor level.
But it still doesn't make the boot huge in terms of floor space, only height.

We originally ordered the e niro over the kona , due to boot space and rear passenger space. Although I did prefer the look of the Kona. But last month I ended up cancelling and going with the Model 3.

Boot may not be as practical in all cases but was very deep and more useful for my requirements.

If your realistically considering going for the more expensive Kona then you need to throw the model 3 SR+ into the mix at only a few k more. A better drive, access to super charger , much deeper boot, over the air updates etc
I thought the range of the £40k model 3 is a lot less than the Kona? I know that doesn't affect everyone but it's certainly a big consideration for me, and the only reason I still have the Niro.
It's tempting but it would most likely blow my budget in real terms after autopilot, the extra VED etc...
Not just that but WhatCar rated the Model 3 SR+ as 181 miles.
Model 3 Performance got 239 and the E-Niro got 253 so it's quite a significant range reduction on the SR+.
I can't help but feel Tesla massage the WLTP figures as they seem to have the highest test numbers but I've seen several reviews put them well under in real world usage!

The Kona is not really practical if you are going to have anyone bigger than a teenager in the back on anything more than occasionally

The Kona is not really practical if you need to lug around buggies or prams and all the related parifanlia

The Kona really suits couples or short families

If it fits your parameters personally I feel its a better car than the Niro but if you need any of the above you are far better with the niro

First car I have ever kept more than a year and now approaching 55k miles I cannot find anything I would trade the Kona for. But saying that I paid £32k (after grant) for the launch version fully loaded certainly would not pay over £40k before grant for it now sticking it in luxury ved rate.
Yeah that's the conclusion I'm coming to, I've measured it compared to my Auris and it's similar sizing internally. And even without kids at this point I wish I had more space...
Plus the VED is kinda off-putting!

We have now done 20k miles in our Kona Premium. We are delighted with it but were lucky to get it at the original price. Have had the eNiro on extended test drive and thought it was also excellent. Given the Kona price rise, I would probably go for the Niro particularly if we needed the extra room. Find the Niro a bit bland to look at and prefer the interior of the Kona, but Niro ride is better and now better value.
That's what I found, the interior of the Kona felt more fun (if perhaps a little more plastic)
But the Niro ride and size has a lot going for it.

Above all other considerations if your going to start a family your going to need as much money as you can. Get the cheaper car !!
Hah, very good point!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some really helpful comments in this thread and a topic I keep going over in my own mind as I wait and wait for delivery of my Kona (Premium not Premium SE as I decided I could do without the extra goodies). Happily I keep coming back to the conclusion that the Kona is right for me because I prefer the slightly better range and efficiency and don't need or want the extra size of the E-Niro, For you it sounds like the size advantage could be beneficial.

Model 3 would be no good for me because I need a hatchback and because there isn't enough ground clearance. The roads here in West Dorset are a bit lumpy as was brought home to me a few weeks ago during a taxi ride home in a VW Passat which scraped a few mm of its bottom as it came down the hill. I don't think I would be happy doing the same thing every day with my battery pack. Passat ground clearance is 145 mm, Model 3 is 140 mm. Kona is 158 mm and e-Niro is 155 and I know both would be fine.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I was thinking battery size of 50kW in M3 v 64 in Niro/Kona must make quite a difference. My wife had a 225 mile round trip in the Niro yesterday and stopped to charge on the way home as it was looking quite tight. She wasn't driving fast, CC set at 60-65mph apparently, and it was heavy traffic around Cambridge with all the road works, and slow as usual. It was raining on the way home but not really cold yet. Unlikley to get 250 miles on a motorway run this time of year, but can't imagine the M3 would be getting 200 miles on the same run.
Based on my experience you might get 180 miles from a M3 SR+ at this time of year if cruising at 60-65mph unless you want to drive with the heating off. 160-165 miles if doing 70mph. The glass roof and lack of heat pump absolutely murder range when it's cold.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought the lowest spec Kona in NZ and don't feel I've had to give up anything over higher models, the only exception being the LED headlights. The inclusion of a heat pump was essential for me and it works very well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The roads here in West Dorset are a bit lumpy as was brought home to me a few weeks ago during a taxi ride home in a VW Passat which scraped a few mm of its bottom as it came down the hill. I don't think I would be happy doing the same thing every day with my battery pack. Passat ground clearance is 145 mm, Model 3 is 140 mm. Kona is 158 mm and e-Niro is 155 and I know both would be fine.
one thing worth mentioning there is when I test drove the E-niro, despite having the visual appearanve of a small suv, I found the ride to be a lot more bumpy then when in the Model 3, which handled speed humps etc with much more ease.

I was thinking battery size of 50kW in M3 v 64 in Niro/Kona must make quite a difference. My wife had a 225 mile round trip in the Niro yesterday and stopped to charge ........ but can't imagine the M3 would be getting 200 miles on the same run.
take into account the body shape, drag coeffcient etc. But yea I think your accurate in your assesment, also consider you probably won't ever want to let the battery drop below 10% before knowing you've got a charger close and the Model 3 in the current cold weather does suffer more. Depending on where you are in the country, this may impact you far more.

However, when making your decision do factor in the real world scenario such as did your wife stop to charge and how long that charge took vs if she had access to a 100kw - 150kw charger. Would those (hypothetically) 20-30 minutes saved be of value to you vs the range anxiety. If I was regularly making those kinds of trips then I would probably have stayed with my E-niro order.

It's tempting but it would most likely blow my budget in real terms after autopilot, the extra VED etc...
All cars get basic autopilot includes, the fully autonmous driving upgrade I wouldn't consider yet, as it does not really offer anything significant imo. The fact that it can be added later is great though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
All cars get basic autopilot includes, the fully autonmous driving upgrade I wouldn't consider yet, as it does not really offer anything significant imo. The fact that it can be added later is great though.
True but isn't it more expensive to add later? (the website certainly implies this).

Looking at the prices (after grant with standard paint and assuming you're going to keep the car for 5+ years):
E-Niro: £34,495
Kona Premium SE: £37,450 + £1,600 VED (£39,050)
Model 3 SR+: £39,490 + £1,600 VED (£41,090)

For me it's becoming an easier choice to stick with my E-Niro order, much as I'd like the extra toys in the Kona.
It's hard for me to justify effectively £5,000 more (as I plan to keep the car) for a boot that's a bit too small for me.
I could have lived with the rear leg room being smaller but there are definitely days where that boot will be too restrictive.
I mean if I wait enough years I'm sure the E-Niro spec will get closer to the Kona but could be here a while waiting for that!

On an unrelated note, why the heck do Tesla fudge the prices to be 'after savings', that's not the price of the car, it's a subjective price based on petrol costs etc.!

·
Registered
151 Posts
True but isn't it more expensive to add later? (the website certainly implies this).

Looking at the prices (after grant with standard paint and assuming you're going to keep the car for 5+ years):
E-Niro: £34,495
Kona Premium SE: £37,450 + £1,600 VED (£39,050)
Model 3 SR+: £39,490 + £1,600 VED (£41,090)

For me it's becoming an easier choice to stick with my E-Niro order, much as I'd like the extra toys in the Kona.
It's hard for me to justify effectively £5,000 more (as I plan to keep the car) for a boot that's a bit too small for me.
I could have lived with the rear leg room being smaller but there are definitely days where that boot will be too restrictive.
I mean if I wait enough years I'm sure the E-Niro spec will get closer to the Kona but could be here a while waiting for that!

On an unrelated note, why the heck do Tesla fudge the prices to be 'after savings', that's not the price of the car, it's a subjective price based on petrol costs etc.!
Agree with you on the Tesla pricing ! Makes it harder to read and is so unintuitive.

On Autopilot , they suggest it may get more expensive later (not because it’s an add on after purchase , but the actual price of it) . But I think that’s just trying to get you to buy it now, I Can’t see them increasing the price dramatically on it, they still need to keep it at a cost that people would be willing to pay.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts