Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone who expects to get their car late September (unless the dealer is telling porky pies) I am interested in the real ownership experience of those with the cars not the hype that can be part of conversations.
The key questions I have are:
1) range in cold weather- will I realistically be able to do a regular journey of 145 miles without a top up charge on the way?
2) ease of access - getting a young grandson in and out of a child seat without damaging my back
3) ease of access - for my 85 year old father in law getting in and out of the front passenger seat (on test drives seems ok)
4) luggage capacity - for push chairs, suitcases etc for holidays / overnight trips etc

Any feedback would be great. And yes I am part of the generation that looks after grand kids and elderly relatives so hence my questions (and why although I like the Tesla M3 it is not the right car for me)!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

During a test drive of the E-Niro I was testing the boot capacity and managed to fit in the following

Two large hold cases
A large box as shown in picture attached to this post. It's quite a lot of space in the boot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am not sure anyone in UK can answer 1) as cars only arrived (for consumer use) mid April. However I did 220 miles from 100% of mainly Motorway driving then without a charge and had 50m left. Was a warm and dry April though 16c. Be surprised if could not do 145 in a UK winter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am not sure anyone in UK can answer 1) as cars only arrived (for consumer use) mid April. However I did 220 miles from 100% of mainly Motorway driving then without a charge and had 50m left. Was a warm and dry April though 16c. Be surprised if could not do 145 in a UK winter.
I would be upset if an e-Niro couldn't do 200+ miles in the winter, I had a Toyora RAV4 EV fully electric 1999 model year that did over 100 miles in the winter with heating on 10 years ago!

·
Registered
455 Posts
As someone who expects to get their car late September (unless the dealer is telling porky pies) I am interested in the real ownership experience of those with the cars not the hype that can be part of conversations.
1) range in cold weather- will I realistically be able to do a regular journey of 145 miles without a top up charge on the way?
2) ease of access - getting a young grandson in and out of a child seat without damaging my back
3) ease of access - for my 85 year old father in law getting in and out of the front passenger seat (on test drives seems ok)
4) luggage capacity - for push chairs, suitcases etc for holidays / overnight trips etc

Any feedback would be great. And yes I am part of the generation that looks after grand kids and elderly relatives so hence my questions (and why although I like the Tesla M3 it is not the right car for me)!
1. I don't think you could get the range below 145 miles in any weather without driving with the brakes on.
2. Access seems good all round but it would depend on the size and weight of your grandson and the state of your back.
3. I'm old too and the ease of getting in and out was one of the reasons why I bought the e-Niro. The seat is the right height, the doors open wide, the roof is high and there are grab handles above all three passenger doors.
4. The luggage capacity is really good and is a good shape too. It can even be extended in various ways. In a standard car you can remove the luggage area cover and stow it below the floor or leave it at home, you can remove the floor and one or both of the divided compartments below it for maximum capacity. Some people have even made new floor panels to permanently lower the floor and leave out one of the divided compartments. And, of course, if you don't need to use the rear seats they can be folded down to give a massive increase in luggage capacity.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses so far - love the guy in Norway and his “oh shheet “ commentary. I think I have the reassurance I need re my various questions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The range on the car is fantastic - I've had mine since April when it was a little cold and easily managed 280+ miles on a single charge. The heated seats are all we ever used and they don't drain much energy. The hot weather we're having at the moment does take a bit out of the batteries with the A/C activated - but it is well worth it. You can always open a window, but in my experience a quick blast of the A/C will bring the car nicely down to temperature (windows closed) and then adjust it to keep ticking over. The beauty of electric cars is they don't have a huge red hot engine directly in front of you, heating the whole car up all the time. Once the temperature is how you like it, it will just stay like that. It's lovely. Also to bear in mind, any adjustments you make to temperature controls, drive modes, etc. will always reflect and update your current range - so turn the heating on and the range will change and drop a few miles. It's very informative.

It's a large, nippy, relaxing, comfortable car to drive and it's easy to get in and out of. The storage is fantastic (as mentioned lots of space underneath the boot). The seats quickly fold down (60-40 ratio) so if you need extra space and you have a child in the back seat, you can just fold one of the sides down for lots more capacity. Hope this helps, enjoy the terrific car!

·
Registered
16 Posts

My mother is 82 and about 5 foot. She finds the rear seats high to get in and out.
Everything else is just fine.
Range won’t be a problem in winter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I second all the comments. My last full charge gave an estimated warm weather range of 304 miles; I’m sure 145 in winter won’t be a problem. Putting a grandchild in a child seat is actually easier than doing so while bent double into the back of a saloon car. Luggage capacity is excellent. I regularly fill up with six large dumpy buckets of fire-logs - about 180kg, I guess.

Grumbles? Very few. The ride can be choppy on minor roads, but that’s probably true of any vehicle that has a heavy battery strapped underneath. The ‘operating system’ is not always intuitive, and the manual is dreadful. But those are minor issues in what is overall a brilliant car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1. I don't think you could get the range below 145 miles in any weather without driving with the brakes on.
2. Access seems good all round but it would depend on the size and weight of your grandson and the state of your back.
3. I'm old too and the ease of getting in and out was one of the reasons why I bought the e-Niro. The seat is the right height, the doors open wide, the roof is high and there are grab handles above all three passenger doors.
4. The luggage capacity is really good and is a good shape too. It can even be extended in various ways. In a standard car you can remove the luggage area cover and stow it below the floor or leave it at home, you can remove the floor and one or both of the divided compartments below it for maximum capacity. Some people have even made new floor panels to permanently lower the floor and leave out one of the divided compartments. And, of course, if you don't need to use the rear seats they can be folded down to give a massive increase in luggage capacity.
Yes when I had a test drive I took all the panels and trays out of the boot and reckon you could put a normal spare wheel in there and cover it with a 4x4 type spare wheel cover and still have more space available than with the standard boot board as the wheel is still a good 1 1/5" below the bottom of the boot board

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be upset if an e-Niro couldn't do 200+ miles in the winter, I had a Toyora RAV4 EV fully electric 1999 model year that did over 100 miles in the winter with heating on 10 years ago!
Wow very disappointed RAV4 EV is no longer available in the UK. I have had a Toyota Prius since original UK launch, including both plug ins as is my current model, and intend going fully electric so to do so I have to desert Toyota.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes Toyota are concentrating on hybrids at present. So if you want an EV of size of RAV4 then you will have to look at other manufacturers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you and that is my understanding. EV maybe in 2 years but also concentrating on hydrogen. Disappointing so mulling over Tesla Model 3 LR or e-NIro, though long waiting list for latter.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depends what you need. Both cars are good. We need the slightly raised height of the e-Niro to make it easier to get grandchildren in and out and also aged parents. But if we didn’t have that need then would have gone for the TM3 standard plus. Best to test drive and see which suits you. Happy EV hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends what you need. Both cars are good. We need the slightly raised height of the e-Niro to make it easier to get grandchildren in and out and also aged parents. But if we didn’t have that need then would have gone for the TM3 standard plus. Best to test drive and see which suits you. Happy EV hunting.
Thank you, difficulty in getting a test drive in an e-Niro before shut down as local dealership was awaiting their turn to have one (very close by me in Windermere). Even more difficult to find a Tesla.
I am absolutely sold on the latter, but dampener by partner as uses grab hold as a passenger to “rest” her arm but there isn’t one ....... gloom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts