Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I was the proud owner of a 2020 facelift Kia e Niro, having unexpectedly got a cancelled order due to Covid19.
We have had a number of new Kia’s in the past and been very happy with them and the service.

I have been lurking on this forum for a long period, as well as the Kia e Niro site . Did a lot of research, watched all the U Tube videos, reports, test drives and was smitten.

Really happy and pleased with the purchase, and a total difference to driving a fossil fuelled car. Very relaxing and pleasant.
The car is only a matter of months old, is now in the dealership and the replacement part is not available until February 2021, so you can understand my annoyance with this.

Used the UVO app to defrost the car on 1/12/20 which worked very well. A mile up the road the dash lit up with a software EV fault, and the heating stopped working?

Read on the forums, someone had a similar issue, they just turned everything off, fault cleared and has not comeback on since. Tried this and all fine.
Not so mine, the following day took the car out-seemed to heat up very quickly, closely followed by an electrical burning smell. Initially thought this was just because the car was new, and just burning off silicones or assembly type goo? EV fault light lit up, having travelled the grand distance of 1 mile, turned around and went home, and phoned the dealer.

Dealer took the car in the following day. Grand total of 1670 miles, since ownership!

No real contact and the issue seemed to be no one knew what the fault could be, with an exchange of emails between the dealership, Kia UK and Korea. The dealership apologised, and explained the reasons for delay, although this was the receptionist and not the Workshop Manager. No hire car, one was promised, never materialised, and even if they supply one, I am not allowed to take it out of the County, when I had a business trip planned for the following day which was cancelled.
Last contact with the dealership was over a week ago, and nothing more, prior to that I have had to chase them up for an update, as my UVO app keeps telling me its been left with doors open or left unlocked at night time (hopefully in the workshop).

In frustration I have now contacted KIA UK, only to be told whatever the car needs is on back order and not expected until February 2021.

So no car, 2+ weeks, very little contact, no loan or hire car, and possibly no car until February 2021 as it is deemed as a ’safety concern'

To say I am not impressed would be an understatement, not what I expect whatsoever.

I was going to trade it in against a new 4+ model with the sunroof and heated rear seats, but think that option will not be happening now.
I know these cars are relatively new, but have been out since 2019, but there seems to be a total lack of technician expertise when faults arise?

Dear Mr

Thanks for your recent contact.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve not heard from the dealer since Friday.

I’ve spoken to them directly and currently the ETA for this part is still showing as February 2021, I’m currently investigating on whether there is anything we can do for you whilst your car is a safety concern.

Thanks for your patience.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get in touch via email or phone on 0333 2022 990.

Kind regards

Senior Customer Service Advisor
Kia Motors UK

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
540 Posts
It's just not acceptable to leave you without a vehicle for 6 weeks or more. I would be onto Kia UK about that matter on it's own, regardless of the question about fixing your car

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Easy to say, I have just been through 7 years of hell with the NHBC for a new house, built by a bunch of luddites, to get that sorted. It is totally sole destroying, where no one wants to take responsibility, as is happening now between the dealership and KIA UK. I would imagine this will not be the only e Niro to develop this fault surely?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easy to say, I have just been through 7 years of hell with the NHBC for a new house, built by a bunch of luddites, to get that sorted. It is totally sole destroying, where no one wants to take responsibility, as is happening now between the dealership and KIA UK. I would imagine this will not be the only e Niro to develop this fault surely?
Sorry to hear of your problems, would you be willing to disclose the name of your Dealer, in the hope it is not mine!

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,566 Posts
Offering to spend your weekends at the dealers informing other customers of how good the customer service is tends to focus their minds. Did it once at a Fiat dealership and suddenly had amazing customer service given. I told them I was there for the day and would happily come back every day if nessacary. They didnt believe me at first but having had 3 perspective customers put off they relented after just an hour. Needless to say I had no problems for the next 2 years I had the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have several irons in the fire, especially since this is a brand new model, the latest version, and they obviously want to sell them as much as they can. One failing so dramatically in what would be 8 normal weeks mileage, does not make for good press?
Dealership has apologised in a roundabout way, but not before me chasing them up all the time, and offered a free service when it due.............if and when it ever comes back!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update everyone on this.

Car was returned on 6/1/20 after KIA UK actually intervened and dismantled a car at Port to get a new PTC heater which was identified as the fault.
Car was collected, and found to have a DENT in the roof, as it was parked under a tree for nearly a month whilst KIA UK and the dealer sorted this out, and large branches just fell on it. Still waiting for this to be sorted out when.................
Have done a grand total of 120 miles since return and four trips. Today same issue, car heated up almost immediately, too quick really, really hot air coming out of the vents, closely followed by a burning smell, and the EV EML light coming on.
Is its now sat on the drive waiting for the dealer to picket up, and sort again.........what a sad state of affairs for a brand new car?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
874 Posts
That’s appalling and I’m sorry to hear about it. I think you should be asking Kia UK for a replacement brand new car or a 100% refund plus your out of pocket expenses. I would be mortified if all that happened to me. I hope you can get something sorted very quickly. Even if they actually fixed it tomorrow, would you ever completely trust that car again in the future?
Good luck. I really hope you can get it sorted satisfactorily.
Peter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have tried that already, KIA UK tell me any return of the vehicle is between myself and the dealership, so that is going to be a hard slog. Let us see what is wrong with it now?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just to update everyone on this.

Car was returned on 6/1/20 after KIA UK actually intervened and dismantled a car at Port to get a new PTC heater which was identified as the fault.
Car was collected, and found to have a DENT in the roof, as it was parked under a tree for nearly a month whilst KIA UK and the dealer sorted this out, and large branches just fell on it. Still waiting for this to be sorted out when.................
Have done a grand total of 120 miles since return and four trips. Today same issue, car heated up almost immediately, too quick really, really hot air coming out of the vents, closely followed by a burning smell, and the EV EML light coming on.
Is its now sat on the drive waiting for the dealer to picket up, and sort again.........what a sad state of affairs for a brand new car?
This is appalling, the fact that the dealership who had a responsibility to look after your car, let a tree branch fall on it, well I'm dumfounded. I agree with Peter, I would refuse to accept the car back, a new replacement or a full, refund, I would ask the dealer principal if he would accept this if it was his car, I think not.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
874 Posts
I have tried that already, KIA UK tell me any return of the vehicle is between myself and the dealership, so that is going to be a hard slog. Let us see what is wrong with it now?
Maybe a threat of a solicitor action or maybe promise to publish the lousy service story in a newspaper or similar might gee things up a bit. I’m amazed Kia UK are not more sympathetic. In fact it’s very concerning as any of us may need such support and expect it from a major brand like Kia. So much for the 7 year warranty! Very disappointing.

What about the sale of goods act? That basically says an item sold must be fit for the purpose for which it was sold. Clearly in your case it wasn’t and isn’t.

It's very saddening that you are having to consider a legal battle to just get some fair treatment.

Peter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update 20/1/2021
Well it looks like my persistence and searching the forums worldwide has achieved something!

Not that KIA UK are saying anything, or replied to a similar message sent about the information gleaned from research. It appears this is a KNOWN problem, with a batch of heaters before July 2020, which have a fault. Obviously the one removed from a car delivered at port, that was used to repair mine was the old batch, on a car yet to be delivered to a dealership.
As such the batch ratio could be huge for e- Niro’s fitted with these PTC heaters, and possibly e - Soul’s which use the same platform?

Is there any way of linking this post on the forum to ensure anybody having the same problems with their PTC heater can pick this up?

So a waiting game again, for when any of us will get the new PTC Heater, and our cars off the road until then - Nice one KIA. Considering one new owners car lasted 3 days before it went, and the new one in mine lasted 120 miles. Will there be a KIA Official Recall on these cars?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I do not understand, is it appears to be only UK models showing this fault. Surely other owners who live is much colder climates than our own, including southern Europe, Germany, Austria etc that have colder winters than our own, or say any of the Scandinavian countries, have not posted this problem with their heaters, well before us.
Why just UK models?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I do not understand, is it appears to be only UK models showing this fault. Surely other owners who live is much colder climates than our own, including southern Europe, Germany, Austria etc that have colder winters than our own, or say any of the Scandinavian countries, have not posted this problem with their heaters, well before us.
Why just UK models?

It does not only occur in the UK, I also have similar issues and I'm from the Netherlands. Just created a profile to let you know.

My e-niro is already 6 weeks at the dealer waiting for a PTC and airco unit replacement.

When I got the ev! light coming up and stopped the car, I got the "check electr. system" message and was unable to put the gear in D or R. It kept stuck in P and no green car light was coming. The car had to be recovered.

The second time was when the car was charging and stopped at 30% but said it was done, It wouldn't charge anymore. When I started the car I got the ev! light again and I drove straight to the dealer and it is still there..

The dealer said that first the airco was malfunctioning, due to the airco error the heater seems to fail also. The airco unit has arrived, but the PTC heater is far in backorder and the dealer said this week that it could still take a lot of more time before it will arive. Also it is not common that the PTC heater fails in the Niro, that's the reason of the backorder he said.
I had the car in Oktober 2020, so almost half of the time it is in the garage now :-(

I also have that "ghost white artifact" problem in the dashboard which appears regularly, maybe related to the problems?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for sharing KIA UK seem to think it is RHD models only which I find hard to believe.
Again I wonder just how big this so called ‘SHORT BATCH’ of cars from the production line it has effected?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There now seems to be other E-Niro owners coming forward on the KIA UK forum, with the same PTC HEATER fault/issue, as well as on various KIA Facebook pages, although I am not on Facebook - can anyone actually verify this?
Also do we know if this problem has transgressed over to the Hyundai E Kona which uses the same platform???

1 - 20 of 179 Posts