Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It depends on your needs. For me the Niro wins as it is the best fit. I'd love an i3 but it doesn't work as well for regular longer runs as the battery is smaller. The Kona would be better as well, but it doesn't have the space for the family trips, which the i3 doesn't have either.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,042 Posts
e-Niro is objectively the best car of the three for most people, most of the time...but, I think there's probably something about the i3 (& i3s) that separates it a bit (not elevates it, but just throws it off into a different playing field) - it makes you feel 15 years younger when you drive it, and for some people even just little things like opening the door and seeing the exposed CFRP make the experience of having one quite different to almost any other car. Cliché...but it feels "special". I get the impression that the e-Niro and Kona are excellent everyday cars, that happen to be EVs. The i3 is much more compromised, but offers something different and other qualities.

Disclaimer: I haven't driven or been in (or actually even seen in the metal) an e-Niro or Kona, so the above is based on what I've gleaned from reviews.

·
Registered
455 Posts
e-Nero is objectively the best car of the three for most people, most of the time...but, I think there's probably something about the i3 (& i3s) that separates it a bit (not elevates it, but just throws it off into a different playing field) - it makes you feel 15 years younger when you drive it, and for some people even just little things like opening the door and seeing the exposed CFRP make the experience of having one quite different to almost any other car. Cliché...but it feels "special". I get the impression that the e-Niro and Kona are excellent everyday cars, that happen to be EVs. The i3 is much more compromised, but offers something different and other qualities.

Disclaimer: I haven't driven or been in (or actually even seen in the metal) an e-Niro or Kona, so the above is based on what I've gleaned from reviews.
CFRP?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Rear wheel drive just doesn't seem right to me for an EV so I wouldn't go for the BMW
What? Rear wheel drive is much better for getting the power to the wheels without loosing grip. FWD cars spin the wheels really easily in EV's. Without the weight of an engine over the front wheels FWD isn't great at all. Try driving a Niro or Kona, it's quite easy to spn the wheels. Even my Golf or a 24kWh Leaf spin the wheels fairly easily

·
Premium Member
10,644 Posts
Rear wheel drive just doesn't seem right to me for an EV so I wouldn't go for the BMW
Yeah, all those billions of euros VW spent developing a (mainly *) rear wheel drive MEB platform was a total waste of money. What were people doing pre-ordering :D

The reason ICE went FWD was cost and packaging - getting power from front engine to rear wheels was expensive and used cabin space. Neither are an issue with a dedicated BEV platform and allow a cab forward design.

* MEB will offer AWD with a smaller front motor later, but NO front wheel drive only.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Based on quite a few BMW drivers won't take their cars out in the snow.
That's because they are on summer tyres and aren't gentle enough with their right foot. Fit decent tyres and drive carefully in the snow, as is sensible in a FWD car.
At least in an EV we can select eco mode and limit the power to the wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts