Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new here and hoping for advice please. I'm getting a Kia eNiro 4+ in May with the Kia supplied 11kw 3 phase charger, but can't find any details about this charger.
My electrician queried why they were supplying 3 phase chargers for domestic users and asked if it is compatible with home electrical systems.
Has anyone had one fitted? Did you have to upgrade or adapt your fusebox, or is the 11kw just a potential and it is actually programmed to run at 7kw off a home system?
Very grateful for advice on the charger itself and installation guidance/costs. I'm in Sussex...

·
Registered
17 Posts
You always get the lower of the EVSE rating and the car onboard charger rating.

The 11kW onboard charger is actually 3x 16A (aka 3.6kW) chargers, one for each phase. On a single phase 32A (aka 7.2kW) EVSE they just run two of them from the same phase.

In theory there could be a 63A single phase EVSE which would allow running all 3 from a single phase, but I don’t think any cars have implemented that.

A select few cars have 22kW onboard charging which is 32A three phase, and some even have 44kW which is 63A three phase.

However since the EVSE you install at home will only be up to 32A single phase that’s the speed you’ll be able to charge at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this. So what, if any, special adaptations would be needed to install this at home?.or can it be installed on any domestic system? what is the expected charging time from zero to full at 7kw?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this. So what, if any, special adaptations would be needed to install this at home?.or can it be installed on any domestic system? what is the expected charging time from zero to full at 7kw?
In terms of charging speed you can see lots of combinations in the EV Database: Kia e-Niro 64 kWh

With 32A single phase (~7kW) and the 11kW charger it shows total charge time of 10hr 15mins.

In general a 7kW charger for home use is workable, although it’s possible that a main fuse upgrade could be required, or that other aspects of your installation may cause difficulties. Your electrician should be able to advise. If you requested to install a 3 phase EVSE that could be the source of the confusion, this would require updating your electricity supply if you don’t already have 3 phase power. If you’re clear that you just need a single phase 7kW unit installed it should be a fairly standard job for an electrician.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
excellent, thanks. The main problem was the total lack of information from Kia or the dealership about the charger. Your replies have been so much more helpful than theirs!

·
Registered
412 Posts
excellent, thanks. The main problem was the total lack of information from Kia or the dealership about the charger. Your replies have been so much more helpful than theirs!
Very few homes in the UK have a three phase supply and it would be very expensive to obtain one in your home and not worth doing. However, as stated, the e-Niro 4+ will charge on a single phase at about 7 kilowatts which should be ample. I am still charging my "4" on my previous 3.5 kilowatt charge point. 7 hours will charge about 33% of the battery on my 3.5 kilowatt charge point so 7 hours on a 7 kilowatt charge point would probably charge about 66% of the battery. That should be fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi there, new here and hoping for advice please. I'm getting a Kia eNiro 4+ in May with the Kia supplied 11kw 3 phase charger, but can't find any details about this charger.
My electrician queried why they were supplying 3 phase chargers for domestic users and asked if it is compatible with home electrical systems.
Has anyone had one fitted? Did you have to upgrade or adapt your fusebox, or is the 11kw just a potential and it is actually programmed to run at 7kw off a home system?
Very grateful for advice on the charger itself and installation guidance/costs. I'm in Sussex...
Your getting confused. The 11kw charger is not something supplied by Kia as a separate item. It is part of the car and nothing to be worried about, it’s a fixed doodah under the bonnet. You need a normal 7 Kilowatt charging point installed at home which is connected to your single phase supply. You will only be possibly charging at 11 kilowatt out and about.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
2 points, neither explained properly by your dealer.

a) you’ve a car which can take a AC charge in to it, of 11kw Max. A lot of EV max out at 7. It also has a DC charger, which uses the bigger CCS plugs to feed in to it. The CCS DC can take in up to 75 depending on lots of factors and isn’t a constant max rate.

b) At a 22kw AC point, assuming the dealer gave you a decent cable, you can “drink” at 11. You could also use the 43AC plug on a 3way Rapid, but you’ll only again take in 11 max. Some Tesco for instance now have 7kw BigBoards, and a 22kw stumpy post - if you are one of those you will drink in at a faster rate off of that stumpy post - you need to look at them on arrival to see what they say.
You could also have a home point 3phase charger put in, to give 11kw, but this depends on your house setup, how much you want to spend —- you either need to be an electrician, or have one come over and tell you what’s possible and the potential install bill. I suspect the dealer also forgot to tell you a 3phase is a more expensive install than a single phase 7kw

Reactions: rossy70

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

a) you’ve a car which can take a AC charge in to it, of 11kw Max. A lot of EV max out at 7. It also has a DC charger, which uses the bigger CCS plugs to feed in to it. The CCS DC can take in up to 75 depending on lots of factors and isn’t a constant max rate.

b) At a 22kw AC point, assuming the dealer gave you a decent cable, you can “drink” at 11. You could also use the 43AC plug on a 3way Rapid, but you’ll only again take in 11 max. Some Tesco for instance now have 7kw BigBoards, and a 22kw stumpy post - if you are one of those you will drink in at a faster rate off of that stumpy post - you need to look at them on arrival to see what they say.
You could also have a home point 3phase charger put in, to give 11kw, but this depends on your house setup, how much you want to spend —- you either need to be an electrician, or have one come over and tell you what’s possible and the potential install bill. I suspect the dealer also forgot to tell you a 3phase is a more expensive install than a single phase 7kw

Many thanks, really appreciate this info and advice- very helpful

·
Registered
883 Posts
From flat to full, my Soul (same 64KWh) battery takes 9hrs. As you are unlikely to do more than 30m most days (I’m guessing) you will need about an hours charge each night.

Not worth fitting 3phase to the house for the tiny reduction in charge time....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From flat to full, my Soul (same 64KWh) battery takes 9hrs. As you are unlikely to do more than 30m most days (I’m guessing) you will need about an hours charge each night.

Not worth fitting 3phase to the house for the tiny reduction in charge time....
Great, thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts