1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the risk and gone for an eniro 64kwh
Just waiting delivery now, can't wait.
I did have a few more questions for someone who has an eniro preference

1. Do they lose charge or much charge when sitting unplugged, ie at airport or work car park?

2. Do you need to stop charging before unplugging the charger at home if I fit fit home charger

3. Do you need to pull cable out of charger before the car or can you leave it plugged into the charger and only unplug the car.

I ask re charger as planning to put a home one in with a 7.5m cable to reach it on the road as its my parking space on road but the charger has to be fitted to house which is around 7m from where car will be parked so be good to know if I can just unplug from car and leave the end of cable on my drive rather than having to unplug it all every day from both ends

My pref was a tethered unit but they don't appear to do in 7.5m

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,056 Posts
Took the risk and gone for an eniro 64kwh
Just waiting delivery now, can't wait.
I did have a few more questions for someone who has an eniro preference

1. Do they lose charge or much charge when sitting unplugged, ie at airport or work car park?

2. Do you need to stop charging before unplugging the charger at home if I fit fit home charger

3. Do you need to pull cable out of charger before the car or can you leave it plugged into the charger and only unplug the car.

I ask re charger as planning to put a home one in with a 7.5m cable to reach it on the road as its my parking space on road but the charger has to be fitted to house which is around 7m from where car will be parked so be good to know if I can just unplug from car and leave the end of cable on my drive rather than having to unplug it all every day from both ends

My pref was a tethered unit but they don't appear to do in 7.5m

Thanks
Solid choice. You should enjoy the car.

1. No, they don’t. This is a problem with Teslas but seemingly not with most other cars. The Niro will use a bit of power as it periodically charges the 12v battery but this doesn’t have a practical impact. I suffered the bad PTC heater problem so mine was in the dealer for just shy of two months. It was there six weeks before they took it apart and in that time the battery lost 2%

2. the charger and the car have a lock that prevents the cable from being removed. When the car is unlocked the charge rate briefly drops right down to 500W and the cable unlocks. At this point you can just unplug it. Chances are you’ll probably charge on a timer so it probably won’t actually be charging when you want to go somewhere, but the cable will still be locked until you unlock the car.

3. see 2. While in use the cable will be locked into the charger so you won’t be able to disconnect that end first. You can just leave it connected to the charger however you might want to consider securing your cable in some way to prevent casual theft when you’ve driven away. The lock on the charger only operates when connected to the car.

without knowing the layout, it’s worth noting chargers can be placed on a post, wall or fence.If you have a cable route it may be possible to site the charge point somewhere more convenient.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much
Really appreciate the advice. The good news is the charge twill be on my house wall which is enclosed in my garden so noone can get to the charger itself, only the cable that is going to go through a fence and out to my car
I wanted to therefore to be able to just disconnect from the car when I need to and leave it on the drive and then when I get home just plug it in again
I am not sure how it all works yet ie if I need to turn on the charger or set anything or if simply plug in and walk away.

I am having the eo mini 2 fitted with a 7.5m untethered cable

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,056 Posts
Thanks very much
Really appreciate the advice. The good news is the charge twill be on my house wall which is enclosed in my garden so noone can get to the charger itself, only the cable that is going to go through a fence and out to my car
I wanted to therefore to be able to just disconnect from the car when I need to and leave it on the drive and then when I get home just plug it in again
I am not sure how it all works yet ie if I need to turn on the charger or set anything or if simply plug in and walk away.

I am having the eo mini 2 fitted with a 7.5m untethered cable
Just plug in! I’m not familiar with that charger but it no doubt has an app and some level of timer control. The car has a charge timer so you can charge at your off peak rate. You can control the car’s charge timer and max charge percentage from the Kia UVO app. I’ve never touched the app functionality of my charger, just do it all on the car.

I’m sure you’ve come across the various off peak tariffs. Octopus Go is a favourite of many here as it provides 5p/kW for a four hour window overnight. You’d need a smart meter that works for that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just plug in! I’m not familiar with that charger but it no doubt has an app and some level of timer control. The car has a charge timer so you can charge at your off peak rate

I’m sure you’ve come across the various off peak tariffs. Octopus Go is a favourite of many here as it provides 5p/kW for a four hour window overnight. You’d need a smart meter that works for that.
Thanks, we are on the rate with octopus already so just waiting the delivery now 😀

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
199 Posts
We’ve had our E-Niro for just over 6 months and I can confirm the car barely loses any charge if left unplugged, even when covered in ice and snow for a few weeks so no worries there. It’s a solid car and you’ll enjoy it. looking forward to do a road trip in mine the end of next week!

·
Registered
414 Posts
It is fine to leave the cable plugged in - I do it most of the time. It is well worth considering buying a holder into which you can attach the plug so it does not suffer from rain etc. such as this one BMW 330e EV - Wall Mounted Holster
or similar from other manufacturers. On the other hand the cable usually has a waterproof cap you can use instead.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is fine to leave the cable plugged in - I do it most of the time. It is well worth considering buying a holder into which you can attach the plug so it does not suffer from rain etc. such as this one BMW 330e EV - Wall Mounted Holster
or similar from other manufacturers. On the other hand the cable usually has a waterproof cap you can use instead.
Thanks, great idea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts