Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes I know bear with me.

Having done a few miles now about to hit 1000.. And having hours to think about this car on long motorway runs, Thats what I think. Its what the Model 3 should of been.

After 2 years in the built like a Brick Shathouse but dullish Kona, I was seduced by the Church of Elon Model 3, Problem was not long in the Shine of this wonder car started to wear off (Along with the paint)., And I realised it just not what was promised, it had crowd appeal but as a car it honestly was just average.

(I know it suits many and that just my personal feeling, (But I can only go by my personal feeling),

Having tried the Ioniq5, I was underwhelmed by the Premium Spec RWD (The One I could afford), interior wise it was really lacking, so on that pushed thoughts of that as an upgrade aside. Then after the issues with Kona No3 failing I needed a car now (Like in 7 days before the loan car went back), and the only thing available that met my range needs etc and was available to pay and take today was the EV6 Air. So paid online never seen one, went and collected Tuesday, and after a couple o work runs to London and back am about to hit 1000 on the clock.

So Ideal time time to review it against the Kona (and the Model 3)

Kona always felt like a low budget car with lots of toys bolted on to bolster the price/value, but underneath a cheap car

Model 3 felt like style over substance, if you are going to look at it Squint so you dont see its failings.

EV6 Feels like a Premium well built car with fit and finish to match, and even the Air Model I have (What I could afford), feels like a very very well specced Premium car with a few of the extra bells and whistles removed to pair back the cost. But honestly they dont make any different to the overall experience.

OK so here we go Comparison Likes Dislikes, focusing mainly on the Kona and EV6 now. Ok there is £5k difference between the top of the range Kona and bottom of the range EV6 so bear that in mind.

SIDE BY SIDE

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Motor vehicle

Styling the EV6 has it hands down, I really really like the front charging socket on the Kona and was worried the EV6 would be a pain in the neck, but as its more on the rear than on the side I have not found any issues with it or Rapid charger leads not reaching it.

But 1st EV6 Bugbear... WHY or WHY no light in the charging socket area. Come on at night its darn near impossible to see what you are doing. And to add insult to injury you put lights inside the edges of rear spoiler to light up the haunches of the car at night and make it look mean, but you cant put a light in charging socket area Jeez....

You can put Styling lights in the Spoiler but NOT a Charging Socket Light!!!!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Both the Kona and EV6 have superb build quality, they both are solid with no panel gaps or leaking lights or roofs that empty snow into the boot when you open it (Looking at you here model 3).

The Kona gets "Bullied" on the Motorway, it seems its a budget SUV and certain drivers don't like to let it merge, The EV6 gets more road respect it seems.

But Boy is that EV6 wider than the Kona, Getting it into a Westminster Parking Bay is like watching Vicky get into Skinny Jeans, Loads of Back and Forth & Moaning about the fit, and eventually its in but does not look comfortable.

ECONOMY

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer

We are mainly motorway drivers averaging 50k miles year so our averages may be a bit lower than people who do a lot of combined driving, Not over the top maxish normally 75 unless in lower limits

The Kona has averaged about 4 Miles Kw over the last 10k miles.

So far in just under 1k the EV6 is settling at about 3.4 to 3.5 so about .6 miles kw less than the Kona, We expected this bigger car, bigger battery, bigger wheels.

And being honest with the 77kw battery compared to the 64 in the Kona it just means they both do roughly the same real world range. (About 270). And the penalty in the EV6 is having to put more power it it at more cost.

But the Gain of course is charging speed. We are finding already its quicker even on 50Kw Rapid Chargers.

The Kona Starts at about 42kw and gradually goes up to 46kw then tapers at 74% down to 24Kw
The EV6 Starts by pegging the charger at 50kw and stays at that without blinking to 90% then drops down to 35kw

INTERIOR

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part

Really not a lot to say here, the Kona is cheaply equipped but rugged, it takes abuse and does not scuff up. everything has the feel that its the best they could do for the price, but not a lot of cash was thrown at it, I have no issues with it as a work car it held up well our first one the interior was as new at 18months and 77k miles.

The EV6 is way way nicer, it feels built to a high standard, and has more of a German feel. The interior lighting really lifts it at night. I prefer the "Leather Seats" to the seats in the higher spec model, as I eat in the car when working/charging and they are easy to clean I know I would wreck the suedish ones in no time with Coffee and Soy Sauce Stains.

DASH

Car Vehicle Speedometer Plant Motor vehicle

Both cars provide well laid out information, the EV6 just takes it to the next level, I particularly like having the Battery % on the Screen in front of the steering wheel, no need to lose 1/3 of your infotainment screen displaying SOC that way

I do like that the EV6 has 3 Programmable Buttons one centre console 2 on steering wheel. a lot more flexible than just the one on the Kona.

While we talk about buttons,. Physical Buttons YES SO EASY

EV6 what are you doing making them Haptic, then to throw insult on top you double them up so you have to select either Info or Climate. its a faff and annoying

Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Vehicle

FRUNK / STORAGE

Oh yes the moan of Kona owners, why all that wasted space under the Bonnet give us a frunk you ICE Designing Mongrels. Owners even designed their own.. Well on the RWD the Frunk is very usable now, I have my Granny Charger, Type 2 Lead 2 Coats a First Aid kit and Most Important A Box of Biscuits for charge stops. NICE ONE EV6

Oh and there is a light in the Frunk so I can see to get my charging lead of the car, I just cant see to plug the pigging thing in,.. Sorry am getting a bit over obsessed with the no charge port light bugbear.

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light

General Storage is also very good in the EV6 but was not lacking in the Kona, honestly nothing to moan about in either. If I am being really picky phone storage when plugged in on the EV6 is a bit of a faff, they need to get Wireless CarPlay working.

LEGROOM..

Not that if affects us as we are both shortarses. But as a comparison Drivers seat set for me in both cars

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light

LASTLY... A FEW REAL PLUSES

On the EV6 the Lant Assist etc are similar to the Kona, but it now has the ability to reduce its speed when on cruise to match the speed limit signs so in an area with variable speed limits it will change when they do the Kona just barrelled on at its set speed. The ability to have autosteer on without Cruise.. Bit odd but OK... The Leading Vehicle Departure warning is better. In the Kona after 5 secs stopped you had to press pedal to go, in EV6 it allows 30sec stopped

Road Noise, Wow what a difference it shows how noisy the Kona was, Good job as well as the Standard Audio system is not great and it needs to be cranked up a lot. Road noise would kill it.

Probably Tons and Tons of Things I have missed but will answer any questions anyone has (If there is anyone left here at the end of this rant).

FINAL SCORES ON THE DOORS..

HYUNDAI KONA... B+ Good Effort. A Pleasure to Own. Let down only by building on a cheap ICE base
TELSA MODEL 3.. D+ Sorry you are Pretty but you will never get a PHD you better Marry Well.
KIA EV6................ A.. Fantastic Job, Really Good allrounder not quite A* but a great effort.

Thank You And Goodnight. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great write up.
I did test drive the EV6 last week, lovely motor but would never, ever be a practical option as a cab.
Customers struggle with seat belts so them door handles would be a huge problem.
Maybe I can convince the wife I need a runaround for the weekends :giggle:

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
Really interesting... Viewing the dash of both cars really makes the Kona look very dated. Interestingly I feel the Kona looks dated compared to the Niro too, Kia seem to be a little more out there compared to Hyundai... I guess, in part, the advantage of running essentially the same car through two different brands.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great write up.
I did test drive the EV6 last week, lovely motor but would never, ever be a practical option as a cab.
Customers struggle with seat belts so them door handles would be a huge problem.
Maybe I can convince the wife I need a runaround for the weekends :giggle:
Yep its got the room needed for a cab but I think the trim will show its age much quicker than the Kona or MG 5 in Cab use and for the uninitiated the door Handles are a faff. I consider myself car savvy and it still took me 2 days to realise you could unlock and lock by pushing the end of the door handle as there is no walk away lock on it.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,803 Posts
It’s always interesting to hear comparisons of EVs from people who’ve driven both for a bit, the EV6 looks like a car that would interest me.

The only thing that twists my melon from your pictures is the EV6 steering wheel, what were they thinking.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s always interesting to hear comparisons of EVs from people who’ve driven both for a bit, the EV6 looks like a car that would interest me.

The only thing that twists my melon from your pictures is the EV6 steering wheel, what were they thinking.
Think the one on the Higher spec models looks a bit nicer its flat at the bottom, this one is a bit of an ugly thing.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,812 Posts
Higher spec models looks a bit nicer its flat at the bottom,
It’s not hugely different, but comfortable to use and once your driving you never really look at it anyway…

Attachments

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the lane keeping asist like? Does it still "ping-pong" between the lane markings like the e-Niro? Recent video from Bjorn Nyland seemed to show that the EV6 still has this issue.
It's good the steering wheel seems to twitch a lot more than the Kona bit it keeps it solidly in the centre of the lane. Better than the Kona which stays a bit to far to the left.

Still like the Kona if it loses sight of the lines it disengages without warning so you have to keep your eye on it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I know bear with me.

Having done a few miles now about to hit 1000.. And having hours to think about this car on long motorway runs, Thats what I think. Its what the Model 3 should of been.

After 2 years in the built like a Brick Shathouse but dullish Kona, I was seduced by the Church of Elon Model 3, Problem was not long in the Shine of this wonder car started to wear off (Along with the paint)., And I realised it just not what was promised, it had crowd appeal but as a car it honestly was just average.

(I know it suits many and that just my personal feeling, (But I can only go by my personal feeling),

Having tried the Ioniq5, I was underwhelmed by the Premium Spec RWD (The One I could afford), interior wise it was really lacking, so on that pushed thoughts of that as an upgrade aside. Then after the issues with Kona No3 failing I needed a car now (Like in 7 days before the loan car went back), and the only thing available that met my range needs etc and was available to pay and take today was the EV6 Air. So paid online never seen one, went and collected Tuesday, and after a couple o work runs to London and back am about to hit 1000 on the clock.

So Ideal time time to review it against the Kona (and the Model 3)

Kona always felt like a low budget car with lots of toys bolted on to bolster the price/value, but underneath a cheap car

Model 3 felt like style over substance, if you are going to look at it Squint so you dont see its failings.

EV6 Feels like a Premium well built car with fit and finish to match, and even the Air Model I have (What I could afford), feels like a very very well specced Premium car with a few of the extra bells and whistles removed to pair back the cost. But honestly they dont make any different to the overall experience.

OK so here we go Comparison Likes Dislikes, focusing mainly on the Kona and EV6 now. Ok there is £5k difference between the top of the range Kona and bottom of the range EV6 so bear that in mind.

SIDE BY SIDE

View attachment 153239

Styling the EV6 has it hands down, I really really like the front charging socket on the Kona and was worried the EV6 would be a pain in the neck, but as its more on the rear than on the side I have not found any issues with it or Rapid charger leads not reaching it.

But 1st EV6 Bugbear... WHY or WHY no light in the charging socket area. Come on at night its darn near impossible to see what you are doing. And to add insult to injury you put lights inside the edges of rear spoiler to light up the haunches of the car at night and make it look mean, but you cant put a light in charging socket area Jeez....

You can put Styling lights in the Spoiler but NOT a Charging Socket Light!!!!
View attachment 153248

Both the Kona and EV6 have superb build quality, they both are solid with no panel gaps or leaking lights or roofs that empty snow into the boot when you open it (Looking at you here model 3).

The Kona gets "Bullied" on the Motorway, it seems its a budget SUV and certain drivers don't like to let it merge, The EV6 gets more road respect it seems.

But Boy is that EV6 wider than the Kona, Getting it into a Westminster Parking Bay is like watching Vicky get into Skinny Jeans, Loads of Back and Forth & Moaning about the fit, and eventually its in but does not look comfortable.

ECONOMY

View attachment 153242

We are mainly motorway drivers averaging 50k miles year so our averages may be a bit lower than people who do a lot of combined driving, Not over the top maxish normally 75 unless in lower limits

The Kona has averaged about 4 Miles Kw over the last 10k miles.

So far in just under 1k the EV6 is settling at about 3.4 to 3.5 so about .6 miles kw less than the Kona, We expected this bigger car, bigger battery, bigger wheels.

And being honest with the 77kw battery compared to the 64 in the Kona it just means they both do roughly the same real world range. (About 270). And the penalty in the EV6 is having to put more power it it at more cost.

But the Gain of course is charging speed. We are finding already its quicker even on 50Kw Rapid Chargers.

The Kona Starts at about 42kw and gradually goes up to 46kw then tapers at 74% down to 24Kw
The EV6 Starts by pegging the charger at 50kw and stays at that without blinking to 90% then drops down to 35kw

INTERIOR

View attachment 153240

Really not a lot to say here, the Kona is cheaply equipped but rugged, it takes abuse and does not scuff up. everything has the feel that its the best they could do for the price, but not a lot of cash was thrown at it, I have no issues with it as a work car it held up well our first one the interior was as new at 18months and 77k miles.

The EV6 is way way nicer, it feels built to a high standard, and has more of a German feel. The interior lighting really lifts it at night. I prefer the "Leather Seats" to the seats in the higher spec model, as I eat in the car when working/charging and they are easy to clean I know I would wreck the suedish ones in no time with Coffee and Soy Sauce Stains.

DASH

View attachment 153243

Both cars provide well laid out information, the EV6 just takes it to the next level, I particularly like having the Battery % on the Screen in front of the steering wheel, no need to lose 1/3 of your infotainment screen displaying SOC that way

I do like that the EV6 has 3 Programmable Buttons one centre console 2 on steering wheel. a lot more flexible than just the one on the Kona.

While we talk about buttons,. Physical Buttons YES SO EASY

EV6 what are you doing making them Haptic, then to throw insult on top you double them up so you have to select either Info or Climate. its a faff and annoying

View attachment 153244

FRUNK / STORAGE

Oh yes the moan of Kona owners, why all that wasted space under the Bonnet give us a frunk you ICE Designing Mongrels. Owners even designed their own.. Well on the RWD the Frunk is very usable now, I have my Granny Charger, Type 2 Lead 2 Coats a First Aid kit and Most Important A Box of Biscuits for charge stops. NICE ONE EV6

Oh and there is a light in the Frunk so I can see to get my charging lead of the car, I just cant see to plug the pigging thing in,.. Sorry am getting a bit over obsessed with the no charge port light bugbear.

View attachment 153245

General Storage is also very good in the EV6 but was not lacking in the Kona, honestly nothing to moan about in either. If I am being really picky phone storage when plugged in on the EV6 is a bit of a faff, they need to get Wireless CarPlay working.

LEGROOM..

Not that if affects us as we are both shortarses. But as a comparison Drivers seat set for me in both cars

View attachment 153246

LASTLY... A FEW REAL PLUSES

On the EV6 the Lant Assist etc are similar to the Kona, but it now has the ability to reduce its speed when on cruise to match the speed limit signs so in an area with variable speed limits it will change when they do the Kona just barrelled on at its set speed. The ability to have autosteer on without Cruise.. Bit odd but OK... The Leading Vehicle Departure warning is better. In the Kona after 5 secs stopped you had to press pedal to go, in EV6 it allows 30sec stopped

Road Noise, Wow what a difference it shows how noisy the Kona was, Good job as well as the Standard Audio system is not great and it needs to be cranked up a lot. Road noise would kill it.

Probably Tons and Tons of Things I have missed but will answer any questions anyone has (If there is anyone left here at the end of this rant).

FINAL SCORES ON THE DOORS..

HYUNDAI KONA... B+ Good Effort. A Pleasure to Own. Let down only by building on a cheap ICE base
TELSA MODEL 3.. D+ Sorry you are Pretty but you will never get a PHD you better Marry Well.
KIA EV6................ A.. Fantastic Job, Really Good allrounder not quite A* but a great effort.

Thank You And Goodnight. ;-)
A really interesting summary. A few comments/questions.
I assume your EV6 does not have a heat pump. From the under-bonnet view of your Kona, it looks to have one fitted. Do you think the efficiency gap between the two cars might close a little if the EV6 had a pump, particularly at this time of year?
I completely agree about the noise levels. I recently test-drove an EV6 and the difference compared with our Kona is quite marked (even after I swapped out the Nexens for Goodyears). Incidentally, I test-drove an ID.3 today and I would put the noise levels on a par with the EV6.
One aspect that disappoints us about the Kona is the lack of dual zone climate control even in our top-spec version. Clearly, even the lowest spec EV6 has this feature. This would be a big bonus for us.
Finally, does your Kona have a head-up display? I think I would miss this if we were to change to a car without it.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A really interesting summary. A few comments/questions.
I assume your EV6 does not have a heat pump. From the under-bonnet view of your Kona, it looks to have one fitted. Do you think the efficiency gap between the two cars might close a little if the EV6 had a pump, particularly at this time of year?
I completely agree about the noise levels. I recently test-drove an EV6 and the difference compared with our Kona is quite marked (even after I swapped out the Nexens for Goodyears). Incidentally, I test-drove an ID.3 today and I would put the noise levels on a par with the EV6.
One aspect that disappoints us about the Kona is the lack of dual zone climate control even in our top-spec version. Clearly, even the lowest spec EV6 has this feature. This would be a big bonus for us.
Finally, does your Kona have a head-up display? I think I would miss this if we were to change to a car without it.
Yep I think the Heat pump may close things a bit

The Kona in the photo is the loan car and is mid spec with no HUD. Our car did have the HUD and I did find it useful in the Kona but in the EV6 the higher display has sort of made up for no HUD on the air model I swore I would not get a car with no HUD but being honest I have not missed it as the display is so large and so high

The dual zone is very useful as Vicky likes a warmer car than me. It works well and removes the heat disputes we had in the Kona

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'm assuming the EV6 you got doesn't have the heat pump as this is an optional extra (really think Hyundai and Kia are missing a trick not including that on their latest models), and does it make much of a difference in the cold weather ?

Any "toys" you are missing on the Air model ?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting. I'm assuming the EV6 you got doesn't have the heat pump as this is an optional extra (really think Hyundai and Kia are missing a trick not including that on their latest models), and does it make much of a difference in the cold weather ?

Any "toys" you are missing on the Air model ?
Yep no heat pump I think the way we drive one would maybe give us an extra 15 miles per charge in winter

Beggars can't be choosers so we are happy with what's on it but I do miss the front parking sensors and blind spot assist that the Kona had. Apart from that's its all nice but not Essensials stuff like electric tailgate and ventilated seats

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
940 Posts
Yep no heat pump I think the way we drive one would maybe give us an extra 15 miles per charge in winter
That sounds about right: 5% efficiency gain for a heatpump (if you're lucky). I find it rather trivial to be honest, and even more so with such a fast charging car.

Interesting comparison. It shows what a technological leap Hyundai and Kia have been able to make from one generation EVs to the other. They are really at the top of the EV spectrum as far as I'm concerned and nobody comes close when it comes to price / quality. If the EV6 survives the torture you are going to submit it to, it's an absolute winner.

To be honest, I think the EV6 will stand the test of time. With the Kona, a 50 kW charger for tan important part of the curve is as much as or more than the car can handle. For the EV6, 50 kW is a mild tickle so you won't stress it as much as with the Kona. But, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we'll see, said the Zen master.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for excellent write-up.

Does the EV6 turn the radio/media on when the centre screen comes on? My Kona does this, and I have to turn the radio off every time I use the NAV or EV screens. I keep the volume at 0, but don't like the idea that it's using power all the time.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for excellent write-up.

Does the EV6 turn the radio/media on when the centre screen comes on? My Kona does this, and I have to turn the radio off every time I use the NAV or EV screens. I keep the volume at 0, but don't like the idea that it's using power all the time.
There is an option in the menu in the EV6 to have it Come on or stay off . So you have the choice

1 - 20 of 38 Posts